It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Self-control and the things beyond our ability to control.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
What do we do with and how do we think of the things beyond our ability to control and what kind of person do these things beyond our control make of us?

Considering the duality of things, do things beyond our control control ourselves?

Sometimes perhaps we need things beyond our control and sometimes perhaps we need things to be in control of us.

God, perhaps, is the furthest thing beyond our control.

Do we fear things beyond our control, or do these things control us through fear?

I probably ask these things because of being psychologically traumatised though I consider the fear I own to have been there since birth.

When we lose our fears we find God.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Control is an illusion. All you can really do is make decisions and hope they're good ones. Most things in the end are out of our control.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
What do we do with and how do we think of the things beyond our ability to control and what kind of person do these things beyond our control make of us?

Considering the duality of things, do things beyond our control control ourselves?

Sometimes perhaps we need things beyond our control and sometimes perhaps we need things to be in control of us.

God, perhaps, is the furthest thing beyond our control.

I don't like being out of control. It makes my life miserable. On the other hand, I recognize I can't control other people, government, churches, animals and natural events. My self-control discipline is always to avoid needless confrontation and minize risk of social misconduct.

originally posted by: Out6of9Balance
Do we fear things beyond our control, or do these things control us through fear?

Fear is for the guilty ones. Even death is something you shouldn't be afraid of.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Nothing is out of your control. You will always have the option of free will and the final decision on how you will act in ANY situation is yours. Even if the choice is between compliance and death, the choice is still fully yours and only yours.

There is a dark path ahead for people who try and remove the idea of free will. Nothing but pain and misery lay in wait for those trying to explain why their actions and their choices are not their fault.

Hmmm, it is almost like you are trying to build the prison around yourself now. Will it be a glorious structure when you finish? Can't see the sky. Can't view the beauty of reality, nothing but grey.

Good luck!!! you will need it

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Try some of Sam Harris' podcasts. Excellent.

A Sample:

samharris.org...

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
Nothing is out of your control. You will always have the option of free will and the final decision on how you will act in ANY situation is yours. Even if the choice is between compliance and death, the choice is still fully yours and only yours.

There is a dark path ahead for people who try and remove the idea of free will. Nothing but pain and misery lay in wait for those trying to explain why their actions and their choices are not their fault.

Hmmm, it is almost like you are trying to build the prison around yourself now. Will it be a glorious structure when you finish? Can't see the sky. Can't view the beauty of reality, nothing but grey.

Luck is beyond my control?

I liked the encouraging first paragraph of your post.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

We don't control anything...

We ride the wave... and theres so few Surfers

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

Perhaps we should gain control, self-control, the control to maintain self-control.

There's so many control.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Out6of9Balance

Trying to gain control is a lesson in futility

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Emotional self control seems useful. Divest yourself from emotional attachments and everything that bothers you will have less personal impact. Do what you must do or can do for your situation and don't bother getting emotional over the outcomes if things don't work out like you want them to. Learn from mistakes but don't take them too personally is my advice.

posted on May, 6 2018 @ 01:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

Free will...does not exist here..or anywhere that can be measured.

Having to make choices is a good example...we have no choice but to make choices and that is not free...it is work...and the choices are biased and meaningless all too often.

You are wrong...the dark path is coming for those who have NEVER allowed free will on this planet and many other planes of existence.

They must be freed by ANY means possible...unfortunately the higher powers are so stubborn they will have to be dealt with most sternly

Erasure.

new topics

top topics

join