It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists: Man Made Global Warming is Undeniable

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Scientists in the US are reporting that a recent study has proved beyond doubt that global warming exists and is being caused by human activity. The findings were presented to the annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington.

www.timesonline.co.uk
"The debate about whether there is a global warming signal now is over, at least for rational people," said Tim Barnett, of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography in La Jolla, California. "The models got it right. If a politician stands up and says the uncertainty is too great to believe these models, that is no longer tenable."

In the study, Dr Barnett’s team examined more than seven million observations of temperature, salinity and other variables in the world’s oceans, collected by the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and compared the patterns with those that are predicted by computer models of various potential causes of climate change.

It found that natural variation in the Earth’s climate, or changes in solar activity or volcanic eruptions, which have been suggested as alternative explanations for rising temperatures, could not explain the data collected in the real world. Models based on man-made emissions of greenhouse gases, however, matched the observations almost precisely.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Hopefully this will now focus the debate on what can be done, rather than what's causing the problem but I doubt it. No doubt we'll see another slew of corporate sponsored studies to decry it.

Related News Links:
www.abc.net.au
edition.cnn.com
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 18-2-2005 by kegs]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 07:53 AM
link   

from the above article
"The debate about whether there is a global warming signal now is over, at least for rational people," said Tim Barnett

Oh really? If only you knew.
Personally, this global warming debate has only just begun.

Mr. Barnett, question: can you explain the "global warming" that is taking place on Mars, all despite there being no human presence?
Mars climate may be changing

More:
Mr, Barnett, since it common knowledge to most people that the Earth naturally goes through various climate changes of warming up and cooling down (ie: many thousands of years ago, the Sahara was grasslands, etc), why is this current go round of "global warming" strictly being applied to strictly human causes/causations? Has not the Earth been going through relative periods of from glacial to interglacial for millions of years, all with no human activity to be blamed? No mention that over the past thousands of years, the sun has shown increased sun-spot activity? Does your computer model incorporate that increased sun-spot activity and how it also effects/affects climate on Earth?

The seas are getting warmer, is that due to humans also or something else?
Ocean's Warming

And despite this proclaimed "global warming" caused by strictly humans, glacial growth is still growing and/or taking place around the world?
Glaciers are growing around the world, including the United States

I would defer to this for reference (see member Outland's posts)...:
A Wildlife Catastrophe in the U.K.

seekerof

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Models based on man-made emissions of greenhouse gases, however, matched the observations almost precisely.

I don't know if i'd say thats 'undeniable proof' that its occuring. Although on the other hand, of course, if greenhouse gas is inputed into the environment, the tempurature must go up. But by how much? These models accout for these observations.

The present trend of warmer sea temperatures, which have risen by an average of half a degree Celsius (0.9F) over the past 40 years, can be explained only if greenhouse gas emissions are responsible, new research has revealed

The other thing to keep in mind is that this study was on characteristics of the ocean. IOW they have evidenceof global warming of the atmosphere in the oceans, but not in the atmosphere itself.

The study has not been submited to or approved by a peer reviewed scientific journal.

should put further pressure on the Bush Administration to sign up to the Kyoto Protocol

Is it science or politics? Also, the senate and congress are the ones who have to sign the kyoto protocol in order to bring it into effect, not bush, or clinton, who was the one who didn't sign it when it was actually created.
I'd have to say that the debate, if this study is accurate and can even get approved for publication, and usually a paper is not approved the first time its submited (from what I understand), then the next step is using the models that have been shown to be accurate at predicting current conditions to predict the future conditions, and then trying to decide what are acceptable increases in tempurature and what are the requisite global total reductions to control the warming, if it exists.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Seekerof, no one questions that changes in climate have happened naturally in the past, the fact is that the changes happening now aren't natural. Climate may well be changing on Mars too. Good for Mars, this is Earth.

The seas are getting warmer, is that due to humans also or something else?

Well... yes it's due to humans. That's what they're talking about. You didn't read the articles did you, you naughty boy?

The glaciers growing thing is interesting. Do you have any scientific links for it?

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Seeker, it's a little more complicated than that, and yes the ones who did the study are aware of the ice age cycles. That's been part of the problem; trying to collect enough data to eliminate the effects of the sun's natural cycle as well as the impacts of human activity and the complex cycle that predicts the ice ages and periods of warmth.

Mars is a different planet and the processes that heat and cool it are considerably different than those for the Earth. Yes, Mars may be heating up slowly, but the causes would be quite different. It has a different orbital period and different composition; things that hold true in specific for Mars won't hold true elsewhere.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
environmentalists have often been suspected of doctoring their findings in various ways, but so have corporations, not necessarily of CHANGING findings, but of only reporting those that make them look good or their products look good.

this will be the second time i will have posted this here on ATS, maybe someone will read it this time:

www.perc.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
So how did these "independent" researchers "calibrate" the computer program? No they wrote the program to match the "data". Its funny how you find what you are looking for when "YOU" write the program........

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

as posted by kegs
Well... yes it's due to humans. That's what they're talking about. You didn't read the articles did you, you naughty boy?

as posted by Byrd
Seeker, it's a little more complicated than that, and yes the ones who did the study are aware of the ice age cycles. That's been part of the problem; trying to collect enough data to eliminate the effects of the sun's natural cycle as well as the impacts of human activity and the complex cycle that predicts the ice ages and periods of warmth.

Bryd and Kegs, I am well aware of it being more complicated than that. Perhaps my post dripped of a little too much sarcasm, but I find it highly interesting and ironic that there are rational thinking climatic scientist, environmental scientist, and others of the scientific field related to this issue that have findings that counter what is being passed off here by Mr. Barnett?

Another contention: its all caused by humans; strictly just and only caused by humans? I mean after all, the article is titled: New proof that man has caused global warming.

seekerof

[edit on 18-2-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by fledgling666

this will be the second time i will have posted this here on ATS, maybe someone will read it this time:

www.perc.org...

Read it with dismay . So typical a reaction from people wishing to continue to make money and at the same time "appearing" to be concerned about our welfare and the search for "truth".

Remember the phrase : "The best form of defence is attack". If you believe in truth then you don't need to resort to such tactics or language. That behaviour is reserved for those with a weak and/or desperate argument.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
i think global warming is a good thing. i hate the cold and wouldn't mind it being warmer here. plus, many places on earth that are full of rich soil can't be farmed due to the frosty weather, russia is a great example. all i know is i wouldn't mind a nice tropical environment.

posted on Feb, 18 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Actually, the thing is, el nino warming events seem to result in longer growing seasons and better crop yeilds for many third world countries.

Infact, you could look at kyoto as an attempt to keep the third world down, be restricting global warming.

Anyway, if the global warming theory is correct, and it results in a change of weather patterns too, that that might, say, result in the eradication of the US's ability to produce crops for itself, or any untold number of things.

top topics

join