It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Really Needs Cops?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

I think you'd find life a tad bit uncomfortable, if not downright dangerous.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: howtonhawky
Going into the future we will begin to see more and more robotics taking over for some humans.

One role i see greatly filled in the future by computers is the police force.

Of coarse you can't replace them all but to be honest much of their official duties could be done easily and with less conflict carry out ticketing operations.
For that matter i see the county court house more automated soon.

That'd be a terrible shame. Forget about compassion and discretion. Contrary to popular belief most cops have good hearts. If they see a single mom of two driving an old beat up car that barely runs with an outdated registration, then they are more than likely going to give her a few warnings before issuing a citation. A robot probably wouldn't be so discerning.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 07:06 PM
link   
a reply to: howtonhawky

Soon as robotic police go into action in my area is the day i dust off my pump action shotgun with slug rounds.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: richapau

Information was gathered during the dance to the stand off
and forwarded to the cloud. The police cloud.

Detailed information, accurate, no questions asked.
It had you made in the first pass.
Correction: glance

It knows more about you than
you know
Now what?

# 981
edit on 3-5-2018 by TheWhiteKnight because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: nightbringr

originally posted by: CharlesT

Thought you were going to talk not needing cops, not just replacing them with a different kind of cop. I don't need cops, period....

But many people do. You know, people who are robbed, extorted, abused, etc.

But who cares about those people, right?

99.999% of the time cops show up after the fact..

So? You can still file a report and potentially the perps will be caught.

Do you not see the value in that? You suggest its better to forget about crime committed and move on with your life?

Use you'r imagination a little. If people lost the false idea that cops are there to protect them and realized that they needed to protect themselves. Cops are not capable of protecting anyone. I live 20 minuets from the nearest cop. Do I think they can protect me? Not a chance.

So you suggest little old ladies can do without police? The disabled? The blind?

I know people who the police have helped greatly in their time of need. Sorry about your luck.

There was a time when the people you mention depended on their loved ones or support from their communities. Very little any more because children move hundreds of miles away from their parents and even local communities are no more than perfect strangers now. The extended family unit has been destroyed and individuals are now required to depend on the government or fend for themselves. Next door neighbors are even strangers any more. Churches can't even provide meals to the homeless any more without running afoul with government.

I'll banter no more. You keep on believing what you will and I'll reiterate, I don't need cops.

Edit: You are walking down the street one day and someone comes up behind you, stabs you in the kidney and steels your wallet and the person standing next to you yells quick, someone call the cops while you lay there bleeding to death.
edit on 3-5-2018 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: rickymouse

I am sure they will shoot at anyone that pulls a gun out

Why do you think that? Police shoot people out of fear for there life. Robots would be bullet proof and have no fear for their lives. In fact why would a robot cop need a gun at all?

I am sure that they will break people's arms if they resist and slam their heads against the hood harder than a regular cop will.

No reason to use force when your 10 times stronger than the criminal and can't be hurt. Their hands would be like hand cuffs. Again cops slam people down because they can be over come physically. This is not an issue with robots.

A gun could tear apart a robot in no time. To be mobile, it would have to be made of light weight metals. a steel type shell could easily pierce that.

I do not know any robot that a person could not outrun, only old or crippled criminals will be caught.

Uh, I think your concept of robots is still stuck in the 50's......

Give me one example of a robot that could catch and properly detain a young guy. One that could stand up to bullets. You have been reading too much science fiction, it is distorting your view of reality.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt
a reply to: nightbringr

If someone breaks into your house, you can use lethal force if you are afraid of great bodily harm or death

As how it should be.

Unfortunately in Canada, it's very possible to do more time than the home invader if you injure them.

You guys should probably try to change your laws to be more accepting of self defense. Even in the people republic of california, if someone breaks in your house and you kill them, it would be hard to find a grand jury that lets that case proceed. As long as you didnt do something stupid like run after them or shoot them in the back while they ran.

I personally would feel safer with robot police that weren't programmed for self preservation as their primary goal. Police are just too damn jumpy now and are not going to give you the benefit of the doubt if they think you are a threat to them. A robot will if its told to. A robot can stand there while being shoot and release a stream of pepper spray, CS gas, fire bean bag rounds, tazers, whatever.
You could have 3 or 4 parrot drone type things that have lethal and non lethal weapons on board that wont fire unless they confirm that the target shoots one of the drones. There is a lot of possibilities for this and most of them result in a safer public by removing the human element from the equation.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Sounds slightly paranoid. But you bring up some very valid points. So all is forgiven.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wayfarer

originally posted by: scraedtosleep

I am sure they will shoot at anyone that pulls a gun out

Why do you think that? Police shoot people out of fear for there life. Robots would be bullet proof and have no fear for their lives. In fact why would a robot cop need a gun at all?

I am sure that they will break people's arms if they resist and slam their heads against the hood harder than a regular cop will.

No reason to use force when your 10 times stronger than the criminal and can't be hurt. Their hands would be like hand cuffs. Again cops slam people down because they can be over come physically. This is not an issue with robots.

A gun could tear apart a robot in no time. To be mobile, it would have to be made of light weight metals. a steel type shell could easily pierce that.

I do not know any robot that a person could not outrun, only old or crippled criminals will be caught.

Uh, I think your concept of robots is still stuck in the 50's......

Give me one example of a robot that could catch and properly detain a young guy. One that could stand up to bullets. You have been reading too much science fiction, it is distorting your view of reality.

Its distorting nothing. His question was a hypothetical, not an exercise on today's technology. Obviously robots of today aren't going to be able to replace police, but its the acme of foolishness to assume they technology isn't going to advance....

All of the issues you posited could practically be solved with today's tech, so its almost a given they will be easily solved some time in the near future.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Thought you were going to talk not needing cops, not just replacing them with a different kind of cop. I don't need cops, period....

But many people do. You know, people who are robbed, extorted, abused, etc.

But who cares about those people, right?

99.999% of the time cops show up after the fact..

So? You can still file a report and potentially the perps will be caught.

Do you not see the value in that? You suggest its better to forget about crime committed and move on with your life?

Use you'r imagination a little. If people lost the false idea that cops are there to protect them and realized that they needed to protect themselves. Cops are not capable of protecting anyone. I live 20 minuets from the nearest cop. Do I think they can protect me? Not a chance.

So you suggest little old ladies can do without police? The disabled? The blind?

I know people who the police have helped greatly in their time of need. Sorry about your luck.

There was a time when the people you mention depended on their loved ones or support from their communities. Very little any more because children move hundreds of miles away from their parents and even local communities are no more than perfect strangers now. The extended family unit has been destroyed and individuals are now required to depend on the government or fend for themselves. Next door neighbors are even strangers any more. Churches can't even provide meals to the homeless any more without running afoul with government.

I'll banter no more. You keep on believing what you will and I'll reiterate, I don't need cops.

Edit: You are walking down the street one day and someone comes up behind you, stabs you in the kidney and steels your wallet and the person standing next to you yells quick, someone call the cops while you lay there bleeding to death.

Yeah, you are such a big man, needing no one to protect you.

But you JUST said that no one comes to peoples aid anymore! So what do those physically incapable of defending themselves do? That's right, call the cops.

But in your selfishness, you believe that since YOU can defend yourself, police are not needed. So very narrow minded. Screw those who can't help themselves, huh?

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
We could be years away in the usa from such robot police.

However the odds of congress voting to let your own car give you a ticket is likely imho and will happen very soon.

If you have an on board system that can tell who you are where you are and what infraction happened then they will soon start mailing tickets.

Such information will soon be some of the most valuable to the info collection companies and such.

The first signs will be alarms goin off when you drive wrong and it will come in the name of safety.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 10:36 AM
link   
A.I may serve a purpose especially when it comes to the medical industries . i.e- robots who can perform life saving surgeries in hospitals that are understaffed and lacking in resources ..

But give them too much power ( a gun , and an authoritative presence and that could get really dicey, real quick ..

You have to remember even though police officers make questionable decisions at best everyday on the streets . Some of them are honest , hard working and decent people who truly believe in protecting the innocent.

They can reason with people , talk them down from crimes etc ...

Something tells me an A.I would shoot first and ask questions later ..

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Somethingsamiss

Sounds slightly paranoid. But you bring up some very valid points. So all is forgiven.

If you are nice to the cop and act considerately, the cop usually just gives you a warning. I sometimes get those warnings for going a little fast in areas coming into the communities or leaving and speeding up right before the speed limit increases, you know, right where the cops always sit in their cars. I think an automated system would boost the income of the police force, everyone gets a ticket. That isn't paranoia, that is the way it is and the people high up in the system want more money and make sure cops give enough tickets. Robots would be more profitable in giving tickets.

Hey, with the new self driving cars, if you drive one in regular mode or the computer messes up and you speed, the car can pull over and give you a ticket for speeding automatically. I suppose they will have a point system for cars that are caught speeding, paying an increased license plate fee if your car gets tickets.

edit on 4-5-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Do you even ever see cops in your part of this sceptred isle???!
AI won't be patrolling my under resourced constabulary in my lifetime, and in an emergency I'd phone a mate first for a faster response "Hello mate, need you now because blah...", then I'd dial 999.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: CornishCeltGuy

Do see them now and again but in someways not as much as much as I'd like.

Some of our local kids like to play a game of chicken on the main road and one got a minor clip and got sent spinning but luckily people were pass and helped the lad and just then a cop car appeared and took control of the situation.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I haven't seen too many robots that could easily hop over a chain link fence.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
I haven't seen too many robots that could easily hop over a chain link fence.

Quadcopter

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   

However the odds of congress voting to let your own car give you a ticket is likely imho and will happen very soon.

If you have an on board system that can tell who you are where you are and what infraction happened then they will soon start mailing tickets.

Such information will soon be some of the most valuable to the info collection companies and such.

The first signs will be alarms goin off when you drive wrong and it will come in the name of safety.

Interesting point. Do you think that these cars would give us the choice to speed, or would some kind of computer speed limiter be used.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whoisjohngalt

Interesting point. Do you think that these cars would give us the choice to speed, or would some kind of computer speed limiter be used.

It will be a legal matter.
The people will fight for their right to have a car that speeds.
You will probably see certain areas at first where you can just be mailed a ticket by some random group who have a contract to review a cars data if you break the law in your car.

You gotta remember every choice will be about money along the way.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join