It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is violating campaign finance laws reason for impeachment

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

(xiv) any loan of money derived from an advance on a candidate’s brokerage account, credit card, home equity line of credit, or other line of credit available to the candidate, if such loan is made in accordance with applicable law and under commercially reasonable terms and if the person making such loan makes loans derived from an advance on the candidate’s brokerage account, credit card, home equity line of credit, or other line of credit in the normal course of the person’s business.

It doesn't seem to me that the Stormy Daniels pay off is exempt because the funds came from any of those sources. And, nobody is making that claim.

According to Cohen and Giuliani, Cohen paid Stormy Daniels from his own money, on Trump's behalf, gift or loan, in order to keep her silent during the campaign.

Personal gifts and loans
Personal gifts and loans

If any person, including a relative or friend of the candidate, gives or loans the candidate money “for the purpose of influencing any election for federal office,” the funds are not considered personal funds of the candidate even if they are given to the candidate directly. Instead, the gift or loan is considered a contribution from the donor to the campaign, subject to the per-election limit and reportable by the campaign. This is true even if the candidate uses the funds for personal living expenses while campaigning.

Looks like a violation to me.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

That would possibly be the case if trump and cohen did not have a pre existing working relationship in which cohen had handled this workload for trump previously.

or other line of credit in the normal course of the person’s business.

Cohen has worked for trump since 2006(the normal course of the persons business)

In an interview with ABC News in 2011, Cohen stated, "If somebody does something Mr. Trump doesn't like, I do everything in my power to resolve it to Mr. Trump's benefit. If you do something wrong, I'm going to come at you, grab you by the neck and I'm not going to let you go until I'm finished."

and again it is not up to trump to prove this it will be up to mueller or whoever to prove it was not

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Again, it's up to the NY office of the FBI to sort this out. The only reason it's in the news now is because of Trump's statements regarding the pay off from Air Force One a few weeks ago, and the recent contradictory statements made by Giuliani.

It's Giuliani's statements, as Trump's new attorney, that are making Trump look guilty of an FEC violation. Before Giuliani, Trump had Cohen under the bus, just where he wanted him. Now, Giuliani has thrown Trump under the same bus!

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Isn't the allegation that cohen violated campaign finance law? Not trump>

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If he actually violated the laws then yes charge him and fine him. That is the norm.

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

The president, vice-president, and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

posted on Aug, 21 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I think President Trump was an idiot to pay the hush money out of campaign funds, or money that is viewed as campaign funds, when he is a billionaire and could have paid her off with his own money free and clear. If that is what he really did, then he set himself up for this situation. You don’t get to say you are draining the swamp if you are going to contribute to the swamp with your behavior.
As to the question, is it reason for impeachment...I don’t think it is, unless he lies to the FBI about it, similar to Clinton lying about his affair. It doesn’t make it right, but I suspect the majority of politicians commit campaign finance laws. But, Trump should have known better than to pay hush money that could be tied to the campaign if that is what happened, as suggested by Cohen. It really is an unforced error that only he (Trump) can blame himself for.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: matafuchs

The president, vice-president, and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

You should study what those words mean.
The language was debated before being finalised. It's NOT the broad scope you seem to think it is.
The details of the debate on this are documented.

To cut to the chase, no the President is not going to be impeached for paying off a whore.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

A president was impeached for lying about diddling though.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: xtradimensions
I think President Trump was an idiot to pay the hush money out of campaign funds, or money that is viewed as campaign funds, when he is a billionaire and could have paid her off with his own money free and clear. If that is what he really did, then he set himself up for this situation. You don’t get to say you are draining the swamp if you are going to contribute to the swamp with your behavior.
As to the question, is it reason for impeachment...I don’t think it is, unless he lies to the FBI about it, similar to Clinton lying about his affair. It doesn’t make it right, but I suspect the majority of politicians commit campaign finance laws. But, Trump should have known better than to pay hush money that could be tied to the campaign if that is what happened, as suggested by Cohen. It really is an unforced error that only he (Trump) can blame himself for.

The money was not paid from campaign funds as far as I am aware.
edit on 22/8/2018 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

No he was not.
He was impeached for lying under oath.
He would never have been impeached for just screwing Monica.

If Trump lies under oath then he should be impeached, as long as the lie under oath is significant...i.e. material to the issue at hand, and not just a mistake about which day he had cornflakes for breakfast in 1990.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Lying about diddling.

Do you think Trump should talk to Mueller? Under oath?

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Breaking campaign finance laws will not put you in jail.

www.politico.com...

As far as i see this worst case scenario is a fine. But if he didn't use campaign funds and paid from his business he's fine.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:09 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Those fines were about violations of reporting rules. Not conspiracy.

But the president going to jail is not really on the table.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Lying about diddling.

Do you think Trump should talk to Mueller? Under oath?

Lying under oath about diddling.
Diddling part is not really important.

No, the President should not talk to Mueller, especially after Muellers stunt with Cohen. It's now more clear than ever that Mueller is out to entrap the President and is not really focused on Russian meddling in elections.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

www.politico.com...

As far as i see this worst case scenario is a fine. But if he didn't use campaign funds and paid from his business he's fine.

I think it was private funds and as pointed out the ex FEC chair had already laughed off the idea it had anything to do with campaign violations.

This was game playing by Mueller. He's already done it with Russians... throw out some indictments for headlines with no intention of taking them to trial.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Sure. The indictments handed down and the evidence to go with them have nothing to do with Russian meddling.

Do you think that crimes committed by a president should be ignored? Obstruction of justice (a la Nixon)? Conspiracy to commit FEC violations?

Was Whitewater a pointless exercise too?

edit on 8/22/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Sure. The indictments handed down and the evidence to go with them have nothing to do with Russian meddling.

Do you think that crimes committed by a president should be ignored? Obstruction of justice (a la Nixon)? Conspiracy to commit FEC violations?

Was Whitewater a pointless exercise too?

Simple answer yes it was. Clinton was impeached because he was to embarrassed to admit he was getting sex from people other than Hillary.

Making a guy whos married admit to an affair publicly is stupid of course they lie at first.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Emotions like love and hate usually don't enter into the political contest.
Competition isn't an act of hate. I bet John McCain didn't hate his opponent Barack Obama. As a matter of fact when a stupid hater woman called Obama a Muslim terrorist he defended him as being a very good man.
Just saying. This hate thing is new to the arena.

posted on Aug, 22 2018 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Probably not. I think this will just be one component of any proceedings against trump.
A clear picture of trumps scruples is emerging and it's ugly.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join