It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is violating campaign finance laws reason for impeachment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: DBCowboy

Yes but what should that punishment be is my question?

Should impeachment be in the table?

Why ask what the punishment should be when there's no evidence that those laws were broken at this juncture?

You know perfectly well impeachment will never happen. This is all directed at the voting level. That effort will fail, as well.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

At this point, what difference does it make?? LUL

I guess all the get-out-of-jail-free cards have been used up eh? None left for old Don

edit on 3-5-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

They can vote for impeachment if he farts loudly during a speech.

*shrugs*

Ummm...one can be impeached...for a gaseous anomaly...?

I can see the headline from CNN..."Trump violates the weapons ban treaty with a vicious and pernicious biological weapon attack in the Capital rotunda"...
"Cries for impeachment were drowned out by the heart breaking sounds of weeping and choking...as members of both sides of the isle succumbed to the attack"...

Truly vicious...

YouSir

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:56 AM
link   
From the reports coming out now and based on a recent interview, it wouldn't even have been a violation of campaign finance laws.

From all angles, it looks like Trump was in the dark on the payments to her. From what is being stated, his Attorney Cohen made the payment right off the bat and was reimbursed through charging a high monthly retainer.

Nothing big.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
It seems these days just being elected is reason for screams of impeachment. Depending on what party the prez is determines who is doing the screaming.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Theres your answer!

I heard Mueller has an iron clad charge on Trump for jaywalking in Manhattan in 1975.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Why do campaign finance laws exist at all...if violations of these rules are just minor and not serious ? Wouldn't that just make them guidelines instead of rules/laws ?

Should elected officials all the way up to and including the potus just be given a pass for violation of these laws?

Are there individuals in goverment who, by and because of the office they hold, are " above the law " ?

Is giving Trump and his campaign a "pass" for failing to disclose independent fund transfers, made to protect the candidate and his campaign, a wise precedent to set....for any and all future election candidates ?

If the rules/laws have been broken...then of course there should be a remedy under US laws governing election finance rules. Isn't that why you have them in the first place?

I have always thought the impeachment process was governed by the House and Senate...not a prescribed kind of legal penalty to address various illegalities.

What types of criminality lead to impeachment ? Wasn't Clinton impeached for lying ? But he didn't leave office. Aquitted ? So impeached but not really impeached.
Maybe they will do the same to Trump..impeach but not really.

Interesting to watch it all play out

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   

You notice the lack of response from the By Any Means crowd, right?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   
The guy doesnt even take presidential salary which is alot more that 130,000 dollars he just donates that to the country..

But were supposed to believe he knowingly broke a campaign finance law for what amounts to his pocket change?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Hahaha!

Shhhh!

You’ll ruin the fun!

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

I'm curious.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
It doesn't matter what laws Trump violates, Cult 45 will never hold him accountable. They feel every immoral and illegal act committed by Trump is justified because he isn't Hillary Clinton. The party of law and order has gone full-blown Westworld, "it doesn't look like anything to me"... Our new post-truth dystopia where nothing matters.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Psssst don´t ruin my setup from the first post on page one!!

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:37 AM
link   

My point is...what would even give someone such a thought to consider? Was there another piece of evidence that pointed to this being a possibility beyond someone saying, "I've got a hunch (and a grudge)"?

It would be worth knowing about if there was something that made us actually have a reason to look to begin with. Im trying to figure out how we arrived at the point of saying, "Its worth looking into".

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Because the whole Russia thing is coming out as complete BS. So they want to move on to the next thing.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I believe the arguments is that Cohen, being a part of the Trump campaign, paid Daniels close to election day.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: notsure1

Because the whole Russia thing is coming out as complete BS. So they want to move on to the next thing.

It is liberating, and easier, to refuse to engage in an arguement because it is based in the ludicrous. Im just trying to make sure this is ludicrous before i proceed shutting people down.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:43 AM
link   
If he broke a law and its proven then of course he should be punished... impeachment no not really on the table for this.

Dems need the impeachment to be big enough to make him step down, and most people are probably not even aware of campaign finance laws so it wont make a big enough splash to cover up their party platforms stink to the majority of regular America.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:48 AM
link   
If a lawyer that was overseeing this told Trump he would take care of it, then it is the lawyers problem if he used funds improperly. Trump may have not known where the money came from to pay it if it was campaign funds. That is the lawyers responsibility to correctly take care of things. I have not heard of anyone getting in trouble for actions of their lawyer except the liability to pay the discrepincy. Lawyers have insurance to pay their fines if they mess up, but in serious crimes insurance does not pay.

They would have to have proof that Trump knew it was campaign funds and was illegal and that he advised the lawyer to use that funding to pay the bill. Otherwise this is a liability issue of the lawyer, he is the one who should have known, not the customer. The lawyer should not have paid the money out of campaign funds, if he did, that is his problem. The fact that I read somewhere that Trump paid the lawyer back might mean he learned that the money was misspent from the investigation. That would be his liability, to repay the fund the money that was misspent.

I am not a lawyer but have had friends that are lawyers and I listen to the way they discuss things and ask a lot of questions. Also I have a friend that is an accountant and we discuss stuff as related to tax deductions and such. If I talked to them about this they would tell me rich people constantly push the rules, that we would never be allowed to get the same priviledges as big corporate leaders do. This lawyer seems to have been with Trump a long time, he may have been trying to please the president and messed up doing so. Loyalty to your friends and customers is real. It can cloud your judgement sometimes.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

I believe the arguments is that Cohen, being a part of the Trump campaign, paid Daniels close to election day.

But it's all over the news that Trump paid the lawyer back...(even though he earlier claimed he knew nothing about it)

new topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join