It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts of America agree 'inclusive' name change

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: bulwarkz
Serena at the top of he game would probably not rank in the top 500 men players.

Riggs DESTROYED Margaret Court just months earlier and then missed almost half his first serves against King.
Riggs owed the mob alot of money in gambling debts.
It is called "getting the business" in gambling terms.

100% irrelevant to this conversation, and I couldn't care less about any of that. This conversation isn't about professional tennis. It is about letting girls into Boy Scouts. Bringing up professional tennis as some sort of check against letting this decision go through is a whataboutism logical fallacy.
edit on 3-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   
In the name of equality, the Girl Scouts will drop girl from their name as well?

Or is that toxic masculinity?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: SKEPTEK

Ask them. Girl Scouts of America isn't the same organization as the Boy Scouts of America. They aren't beholden to the decisions that the BSA makes. Why is it that everyone has to come in and mention them in some weak attempt to sound smart? Especially when I covered this on page 1.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Then what the hell are they required to do it with boys? Go and frickin camp. Just do it.

Let boys camp and do things OCCASIONALY with other boys and men if they want.
If girls are so empowered, go build a bridge without men. Like that bridge in florida that fell.

You simply repeating it does not make it soa reply to: eriktheawful

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Then what the hell are they required to do it with boys? Go and frickin camp. Just do it.

eriktheawful

Leaders of the Boy Scout chose to do this, essentially expanding the venturing program that already existed.

“Why are they forced to do this?”
They’re not, read the thread, get educated.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Seems a sensible move to me. Here in the UK it has been boys and girls for years, it is called "The Scout Association" and seems to work well.
I was never a scout and neither were any of my mates, we all thought it was a bit lame and joined the Army, Air, or Sea Cadets instead. They have girl and boy members and do everything that scouts do plus fire rifles. All the cadet organisations in the UK do way more fun stuff compared to scouts, try asking the troop master of scouts to get you a submerged experience on a nuclear submarine.
...I think they should have dropped the BSA and gone with just Scouts of America or similar.

edit on 3-5-2018 by CornishCeltGuy because: typo

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Ask them. Girl Scouts of America isn't the same organization as the Boy Scouts of America. They aren't beholden to the decisions that the BSA makes. Why is it that everyone has to come in and mention them in some weak attempt to sound smart? Especially when I covered this on page 1.

Because whayaboutism is easy, and private organizations can only do things of their own volition when they agree with them.
Denying ignorance hasn’t been a strong suit here for a while.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I was responding to his many examples of girls doing anything boys can do, as if that is all that is needed for why boys cannot hang with boys under male tutelage learning to be men from mena reply to: eNumbra

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

eriktheawful

Leaders of the Boy Scout chose to do this, essentially expanding the venturing program that already existed.

I have to admit, I am not supporting the BSA. They lost me years ago. They are in no way at all representative of the ideals I gleaned as a scout from the awesome mentors I had as scoutmasters.

I can only speak of scouting as I know it. Todays BSA leadership might as well be all women from top down and bottom up as it is lost in a P.C. world that hates little boys.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:53 PM
link   

eriktheawful

I have to admit, I am not supporting the BSA. They lost me years ago. They are in no way at all representative of the ideals I gleaned as a scout from the awesome mentors I had as scoutmasters.

I can only speak of scouting as I know it. Todays BSA leadership might as well be all women from top down and bottom up as it is lost in a P.C. world that hates little boys.

Other than opening a wider range of their activities to girls, how have they changed?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Because whayaboutism is easy, and private organizations can only do things of their own volition when they agree with them.
Denying ignorance hasn’t been a strong suit here for a while.

Yeah and when an organization does something they don't approve of its, "PC FEMINAZIS ARE RUINING EVERYTHING!"

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   

eriktheawful

Other than opening a wider range of their activities to girls, how have they changed?
BOY scouts? Dude?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

They've already been allowing girls to join, look into Venture Scout's, it's one of the BSA programs that is co-ed. Shame the GSA thinks that girls shouldn't be allowed in these types of programs.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   

eriktheawful

BOY scouts? Dude?

Boy Scouts of America agree 'inclusive' name change

Names are just arbitrary labels we set to things. As this thread and linked article show, changing them is just a matter of saying so. They aren't set in stone nor does a name limit what the named entity can associate with.

edit on 3-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:57 PM
link   

eriktheawful

BOY scouts? Dude?

So nothing else?

Just checking.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If this is all Scouts America has in store to stop their dropping membership numbers...they got problems.

Scouts Canada did this in the early 90's. Didn't work. Membership is still in a free fall.

The Scouts just seem to have lost their ability to entice and retain new memberships at the numbers they got used to.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:09 PM
link   
I would imagine this is a financial decision. If they can net some net members, directors will take home more of the dues. I doubt it comes from the goodness of the Scouts' hearts.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack
a reply to: dug88

I don't remember girls being part of boy scouts when I was growing up, ugh.

All I remember about that part of my life is getting in # with my friend for using the bush as a latrine at 2am and having to clean the 'latrine' the next day with a toothbrush as punishment. lol. Memories..

Ya don't think there was any when I was in it. But i've definitely seen girls in boy scouts for a few years now though.

Lol it was definitely not like that by the time I was in it...i'm pretty sure we didn't even go 'camping' in a place without flush toilets.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

There was definately no boys in the girls camp, not when I was a kid. If they were caught they'd be tied to a steak and slowly cooked.We had tents back then. There were cabins but we had a choice between the two.
edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   

eriktheawful

BOY scouts? Dude?

So nothing else?

Just checking.
Nothing else. I started with the basic fact that it is not boys as implied in the name. I used this as a foundational point in foundational changes, that includes, exculusionof the name boy, in the boyscouts. This is asinine to think I cannot express it any deeper. The changes are so dramatic the name boy does not adequately represent a boys organization. So they removed the name boy from boyscouts. But it is still the same organization. Yeah right. Next thing you know you guys will claim it is hate speech if we use examples of what changes destroyed this "boys" organization.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join