It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts of America agree 'inclusive' name change

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Milkweed
a reply to: eriktheawful

Sure those days are over, but at what cost?
Disfunctional families, fatherless homes, etc...
Society needs a structure. If not, it'll fall apart.

There is some truth to it, but people are too blind to see...

One of the reasons for wage stagnation has been women entering the workforce in droves since the 70s. All these additional workers puts pressure on wages as it increases the supply of workers. To make matters worse, it created a situation where we have all the two income households and inflated child care expenses since both parent's are out of the home working now.

Feminism has absolutely led to the destruction of the family unit.

What is crazy is if you talk to a lot of women who get into the corporate rat race, a very large percentage of them regret it. They get so focused on their careers and they put off child rearing. The next thing they know, they are in their late 30s, eggs drying up and having a hard time conceiving, and lucky if they even have a man at that point.

The irony in all this is that the upper classes actually still maintain the traditional family unit in many cases with the woman being a Stay At Home Mom.

link   

originally posted by: notsure1

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: notsure1
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This is so effing stupid.. I have no problem with girls wanting to be a boy scout and learn that stuff.

But to change the name just to appease snowflake liberals is ridiculous..

Man... Why does everything have to be a dumb partisan argument to you? Is your mind 100% wrapped around partisan politics that you can't comment on something with out kneejerk reacting with an "EVIL LIBERALS!" response?

Who are the ones wanting to stop using he and she ?

How is that relevant to the thread topic?

link   
a reply to: dug88

I don't remember girls being part of boy scouts when I was growing up, ugh.

All I remember about that part of my life is getting in # with my friend for using the bush as a latrine at 2am and having to clean the 'latrine' the next day with a toothbrush as punishment. lol. Memories..
edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
So, they are leaving the Girl Scouts alone. Is there a reason they couldn't have just created a third, coed organization for those that want it? Something all inclusive like ScoutsAmerica or something like that? I just think that if they are ok with the GS remaining segregated why single out the boys?

Who is "they"? This decision was made by the Boy Scouts of America. Girl Scouts of America is a totally separate organization capable of making its own decisions. They aren't in lockstep with their operations, and there is no requirement for them to be so. Naturally, it would be more efficient for the two to combine, but the GSA didn't want to. So we have this decision.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is getting really sad that boys just can't be boys and girls be girls. It is no wonder we are becoming a nation of androgynous girly men. Of course, in the hood we have a bunch women acting like men.

Society will fail...

It will be interesting what the history books say 500 years from now what happened...

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

You're crazy. Women doing men stuff or men doing women stuff isn't leading to society collapsing. Stop being so melodramatic just because you don't like the changes society is going through. Society will be JUST fine without your arbitrary gender stereotypes in place.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: bulwarkz

originally posted by: eriktheawful
What's funny is doing this will help our kids understand the real world a bit better.

I'm sorry but the days of "The women stay at home to do the cooking and child care while the men work" is over with and has been for a very, very, VERY long time now.

Those of you that hate this change need to do two things:

1) Look about and realize you're in the 21st century...not the 18th century

2) Grow up.

Do you honestly think your daughters can't do things just as good (or even better) than boys? Sheesh.

My oldest daughter used to climb trees, build forts and would wrestle boys to the ground that called her names (with me having to intervine before she beat the crap out of them), and is now a proud mother of 2 daughters and a son herself.

My wife is a country girl. She loves to camp, loves to fish, can out shoot me (with pistols, I'm still better than her with a rifle), and doesn't think twice about getting on a tractor to help do heavy work. She ain't "the lil' woman that belongs in the kitchen".

Seriously: those of you who think this is a PC move, or that girls doing the same thing as boy scouts is going to destroy America need to seriously grow up and loose your misogynist beliefs.

Funny. I think of women as more of a help mate like you describe.
Hyperfeminine women are more of an upperclass social thing based on affluence and not a survival scenario. Women and men have complimentary skillsets to each other. They most certainly are not the same no matter what century you choose before the "21st" century. For example. Serena Williams could not compete with menand win in tennis. She is a womans champion. She would not even be mentioned in history if she competed with men

I guess Billie Jean King never existed?

A side note: it’s may, what’s with all this snow?
edit on 5/3/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You aren't part of Come on Men wear a dress day are you? June 15th.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
It is getting really sad that boys just can't be boys and girls be girls. It is no wonder we are becoming a nation of androgynous girly men. Of course, in the hood we have a bunch women acting like men.

Society will fail...

It will be interesting what the history books say 500 years from now what happened...

At this rate there will not be any history books. There will be no books at all.
If we are incapable of discerning the difference between male and female AI will deem us idiots and history will be written in a language unrecognizable to us in AI language because we cannot be even trusted with how to breed.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: bulwarkz

Dont worry, the ice age will hit before that happens wiping everything out.

edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: proper english

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

What's funny is doing this will help our kids understand the real world a bit better.

I'm sorry but the days of "The women stay at home to do the cooking and child care while the men work" is over with and has been for a very, very, VERY long time now.

2) Grow up.

Do you honestly think your daughters can't do things just as good (or even better) than boys? Sheesh.

My oldest daughter used to climb trees, build forts and would wrestle boys to the ground that called her names (with me having to intervine before she beat the crap out of them), and is now a proud mother of 2 daughters and a son herself.

My wife is a country girl. She loves to camp, loves to fish, can out shoot me (with pistols, I'm still better than her with a rifle), and doesn't think twice about getting on a tractor to help do heavy work. She ain't "the lil' woman that belongs in the kitchen".

Seriously: those of you who think this is a PC move, or that girls doing the same thing as boy scouts is going to destroy America need to seriously grow up and loose your misogynist beliefs.

Hyperfeminine women are more of an upperclass social thing based on affluence and not a survival scenario. Women and men have complimentary skillsets to each other. They most certainly are not the same no matter what century you choose before the "21st" century. For example. Serena Williams could not compete with menand win in tennis. She is a womans champion. She would not even be mentioned in history if she competed with men

Bobby Riggs display was BARELY tennis and way more theatrics. How much do you suppose Riggs made? He easily beat women at that stage of his game. He was a gambler and a showman. You should research that event. It is called "getting the business"

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: bulwarkz

She was also 26 years younger
edit on 3-5-2018 by ker2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:14 PM
link   

2) Grow up.

Bobby Riggs display was BARELY tennis and way more theatrics. How much do you suppose Riggs made? He easily beat women at that stage of his game. He was a gambler and a showman. You should research that event. It is called "getting the business"

Regardless, I fail to see what the physical prowess of professional athletes has to do with “scouting”.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: ker2010

& more than capable of kicking his sorry ass. Just saying.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:16 PM
link   

2) Grow up.

Regardless, I fail to see what the physical prowess of professional athletes has to do with “scouting”.

I was going to say, it's a very weak rebuttal to bring up sports played at a professional level when trying to justify why women can't do men things. Not even most men can beat people at the top of professional sports. I'd place money that bulwarkz wouldn't even be able to beat Serena Williams at Tennis.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:25 PM
link   

2) Grow up.

I was going to say, it's a very weak rebuttal to bring up sports played at a professional level when trying to justify why women can't do men things. Not even most men can beat people at the top of professional sports. I'd place money that bulwarkz wouldn't even be able to beat Serena Williams at Tennis.

Just emphasizing that men and women are not the same. Yes, there are things women can do just as well as men. No one has argued otherwise. The issue is that there are still roles that are more suited for women and roles more suited for men.

Having mothers and fathers is important. Both play a different role. Removing or weakening the mother position, just so she can get out in the corporate rat race can have a negative impact on society in the long term when large amounts of women are doing it.

It is like how welfare basically destroyed the black family and now we have 75% of kids being born out of wedlock which has led to all the cultural and social dysfunction we see in lower class black neighborhoods.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   

2) Grow up.

Just emphasizing that men and women are not the same. Yes, there are things women can do just as well as men. No one has argued otherwise. The issue is that there are still roles that are more suited for women and roles more suited for men.

Having mothers and fathers is important. Both play a different role. Removing or weakening the mother position, just so she can get out in the corporate rat race can have a negative impact on society in the long term when large amounts of women are doing it.

Great, so what does the BSA teach boys that will unravel society if we teach girls?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:29 PM
link   

2) Grow up.

Serena at the top of he game would probably not rank in the top 500 men players.

Riggs DESTROYED Margaret Court just months earlier and then missed almost half his first serves against King.
Riggs owed the mob alot of money in gambling debts.
It is called "getting the business" in gambling terms.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Maybe so, but none of that applies to anything you learn in Boy Scouts.

Prove it with something beyond your paranoia and ingrained biases. In other words, show me some studies that prove that families are worse off when moms work for a living.

It is like how welfare basically destroyed the black family and now we have 75% of kids being born out of wedlock which has led to all the cultural and social dysfunction we see in lower class black neighborhoods.

Welfare didn't destroy the black family... There are quite a few processes that went into the creation of black ghettos, some of which still effect those communities to this day, but welfare wasn't one of them.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:30 PM
link   
sigh.

A girl can set up a tent just as well as a boy.

A girl can hike a trail just as well as a boy.

A girl can fish just as well as a boy.

A girl can cook outdoors just as well as a boy.

A girl can use a map and GPS just as well as a boy.

A girl can use a bow just as well as a boy.

A girl can shoot a BB gun as a boy.

A girl can use a shotgun just as well as a boy (yes, archery, Air Gun and Shot gun are merit badges)

We teach first aid, physical fitness, personal management, disaster preparedness, metal working, graphic art, gaming, there is a HUGE list of things that are taught in scouting:

And NONE OF IT is gender specific.

Allowing girls in the BSA (which they are already in and have been since the 90s....just how ignorant are you guys????), is not going to destroy America. It's not going to cause "gender issues". It's not going to break our society.

I'm appalled at how closed minded, ignorant and misogynist some of you are.

Out of this thread as I'm completely disgusted with the lack of intelligence some of you are displaying.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join