It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts of America agree 'inclusive' name change

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: eNumbra

You're saying women need safe spaces because they are mentally weaker than men.
Got it.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

You're saying women need safe spaces because they are mentally weaker than men.
Got it.

Nope, I’m saying a private organization can do what it #ing wants. But I’m not surprised you have to twist words to fit your argument.

God bless America.
edit on 5/3/2018 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: eNumbra
Capitalism in motion, supply and demand, and yet the usual suspects are in here trying to re-market this as some sort of scary liberal plot.

I thought it was about the trans people trying to give kids The Gay.

Recruiting for the gay army hasn’t been this high in years.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Pot meet kettle

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

The United States Garmy has the best uniforms.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

I blame it on the fake womenz.
edit on 3-5-2018 by JinMI because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:09 AM
link   

The United States Garmy has the best uniforms.

They're FABULOUS!

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Has anyone ever heard of Girl Scouts? This is getting ridiculous. Since the dawn of man there has been man and woman, boy and girl. Gender Fluidity will cause (at least, in part) our downfall.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Milkweed

Not a fan of capitalism?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Wow. Hyperbole much?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

a reply to: eriktheawful

As someone who is invovled have you seen membership/participation increasing or decreasing and do you think this move will increase or decrease membership/participation?

In all honesty, membership started going down several years before allowing girls to join Cub and Boy Scouts.

There were two main reasons when surveys were conducted:

1) Membership cost went up. It is now at $33.00 per year per scout/adult member. If you only have one child in the BSA, then it's not that bad....but let's say you have 3 boys....and both parents. That's $165.00 for the year. On top of that the costs to do things period have gone up: camping reservation fees, cost of food and transportation for camping, etc. Many parents can end up struggling trying to pay for all this.

2) Times have changed: Cub Scouts is not just teaching the boys, but it's a path that the boys take with their parent(s). From Tiger to Webelos 2, parents are on this journey with their boys....unfortunately too many of today's parents would rather drop their child off, like Scouting is day care, or when they are there, instead of paying attention and helping their child, they've got their noses glued to their smart phones.

2A) Boy Scouts is "Boy Led", the boys vote on what they want to work on and where they go. They set up things, and the older/higher ranked boys help teach the newer/ younger boys. Adults are there to manage and keep things safe. However: most boys that join, and have not already been though Cub Scouts, tend to have issues: They don't like to work for things and seem to think as long as they just show up, they should be given the same award and badges as those boys who worked hard to earn them.

There are some other issues, which seem to be political and social in nature. For example, we teach the kids to say the Pledge of Allegiance which we all recite after posting the flags at the beginning of any event. This is an issue for some parents in todays world (which saddens me greatly).

We also do a prayer. As you can imagine, this really upsets some parents that do not go to church or have religion. The thing is, Scouts doesn't teach a specific religion, but instead teach tolerance for people's beliefs. When we have an opening prayer, the Scout Master says: "A Scout is Reverent." and everyone bows their heads. This is one of the core values, and the word itself means: "feeling or showing deep and solemn respect.".....it's up to the scout and their family to believe in what they want to believe in, anything from a certain religion, to simply a faith of something in their life, even if it's not religion.

But many parents do not understand that and make a judgement from a stance of ignorance. Instead of sitting down and asking about it with the Scout Master. That no one is actually trying to push any religion on the kids, but simply trying to teach them to understand what it is, and to have respect for people's beliefs.

So those are 2 of the main reasons for membership going down.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Thanks for that very detailed reply. Do you think admitting girls will help grow membership?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Pot meet kettle

Right, so you’re denying you said this?

Apparently boys can't have spaces with no women around. Doesn't seem fair.

A private organization can do what they wish to. You’re free to disagree with it; I’ve made my opinion of the Girl Scouts clear in this thread and you apparently are upset that the Boy Scouts of America would dare to admit girls their their prestigious “men-only” (which isn’t really accurate) club.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

This is so effing stupid.. I have no problem with girls wanting to be a boy scout and learn that stuff.

But to change the name just to appease snowflake liberals is ridiculous..

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   
What a wonderful legacy . . Not!. . this generation has successfully destroyed the Boy Scouts of America, a once wonderful institution. . My wife and I have supported them for years, but they have gone nuts and they will receive nothing from us or any of our family.
While I yet live, I will teach my grandchildren the skills they would have learned as a scout.
The fall of scouting is another example of the decline of our nation.

Hey society . . there is nothing wrong with having a Boy Scouts and a Girl Scouts. Also I have a revelation for you, Boys are different from Girls; I know this is allot to take in......

Dear Scouting, I realize because of your recent changes in the past few years your monetary support has all but dried up, but obviously you are not listening. However I know that being sued all the time by liberal agenda-ist put you in a corner from which you could not survive.

But folks, there is nothing wrong with teaching high moral values, and purporting standards which refine character regardless of what faith or lack there of one might have. . Teaching skills of self sufficiency and service to others are skills and attributes we need in our city, states and lands. . The lack there of has manifested itself in the self destructive nature of students in our schools.
When I was a platoon sergeant, my troops who were former scouts of the former scouting program were those who excelled and contributed greatly to our success in anything we were asked to do. .

I am glad I am old, you can keep the world you are now designing it. However you are not improving; you are just moving closer to the collapse and reset. .

reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Again: I'm seeing some very ignorant opinions being posted here.

Girls have already been in Boy Scouts for a few decades now:

Venture Scouts

Venturing is an inclusive program through the Boy Scouts of America for males and females aged 14-21 (or 13 and completed the 8th grade).

Sheesh guys. At least LEARN about it before you open your mouths......

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Not a fan of capitalism?

This has nothing to do with capitalism.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Blindmancc
this generation has successfully destroyed the Boy Scouts of America,
reply to: Krazysh0t

RIP in peace America.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:26 AM
link   
www.elephantvoices.org...]originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Wow. Hyperbole much?
Your op is hyperbole

It is like the entire animal kingdom gets it, except humans

So what is wrong with same sex teaching social skills to the youth just like elephants do?

It is through strong adult male role models that young men transition effectively into adult men from a social perspective. In the same way young women learn maternal skills by hanging out and watching other mothers.

I could not find any trans elephant examples or stories for reference so others more knowledgable with elephants will have to help me in this area.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Blindmancc

Lol. Because girls learning how to camp, hike, and do outdoors things is SOOOO terrifying that it will destroy American. Y'all with the existential hyperbole are hilarious.

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join