It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Scouts of America agree 'inclusive' name change

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Woah, woah, August... belong? That’s awfully objectifying.
“All you girls are welcome to come with us” would be more appropriate.

Nope. One of the new merit badges will involve head-bonking and then dragging back to the cave.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Woah, woah, August... belong? That’s awfully objectifying.
“All you girls are welcome to come with us” would be more appropriate.

Nope. One of the new merit badges will involve head-bonking and then dragging back to the cave.

I've dated a few girls that could do that too.

-dex

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DexterRiley

-dex

You dated Olga from Uzbekistan too?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

O K !!

I'll admit it.
I was a bot scout, but only until I was fourteen. Then I became a girl scout.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That would be the emergency preparedness merit badger.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
That would be the emergency preparedness merit badger.

I was thinking it would be the 'I Just Got a New Sandwich Maker' merit badge.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:54 AM
link   

-dex

I think I knew her by a different name. Did she look anything like this:

My girl had a similar build, but not nearly so sexy.

-dex

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Kind of favours one of my old ex's.
But she don't have that hairy mole on her right cheek.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Krazysh0t

They should have just created an organization and called it "Girl Scouts". instead of changing the Boy Scouts.

Just my opinion.

Should boys have to enroll in Girl Scouts just to participate in a cookie selling pyramid scheme?

The Boy Scouts have their own popcorn selling scheme.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I always sold candy bars while in the Scouts.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Interestingly, the BSA Scout was a good looking sports car.

To topic. Any organisation that gets young people out and about, that improves their social skills and interests, and enables them to meet more of their own kind is good. If that means the Scouts change with the times, then so-be-it.

They just need to be aware that kids often don't roll with politically correct stuff. So sitting in head office making policy may not translate very well into reality, when you have a group of boys hiking with a girl who thinks she's a boy.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

They should have just created an organization and called it "Girl Scouts". instead of changing the Boy Scouts.

Just my opinion.

Should boys have to enroll in Girl Scouts just to participate in a cookie selling pyramid scheme?

I know, but Boy Scouts famously do other things. I’m fairly certain GSA only continues to exist to feed cookie demand across America.

link   
When will the new maternity uniforms go on sale?

link   
As a registered adult leader with the BSA, I can tell you one of the main reasons for the BSA allowing girls to join.

First, please note: Girls have been in a branch of the BSA, called Ventures, since the 1990s. These are normally older teen scouts who do high adventure and work together. The program has been a huge success over the decades, so there is NOTHING NEW about girls joining the BSA for the most part.

Now, as many have said: just have the girls join the GSA. That is a fair point, but there can be issues with it.

1) Many GSA chapters do not do a whole lot. Here in my area, the pretty much never do outside activities that you find more in the BSA, such as camping, hiking, etc.

2) You have a son and a daughter, both join scouts. What do you do when there is a schedule conflict? Mary has some GSA activity, while Timmy is suppose to be at a different one the same day? Making one child forego their event in the favor of the other child is not very fair.

3) I've lost count the number of times, little and big sisters were with us at some Cub or Boy Scout event.....and not able to participate, or earn awards and badges for it. Us adults always tried to provide something for them, but the main focus was always the son in scouting.

By allowing girls to join both Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts, makings things much easier on the parents, allows the sibs to now belong and enjoy the same things as their brothers.

There is absolutely NOTHING in Cub or Boy Scouts that is gender specific or inclusive to only males.

In fact, here are the 12 core values we teach the boys:

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

There is absolutely NOTHING that boys do in scouting that girls themselves also can not do.

This is how it is going to be:

Packs (Cub Scouts) can either allow girls into their original Pack, or form a girl only Pack if they want. Most of what I've seen is opting to just have the girls in the same pack.

Troops (Boy Scouts): A second troop must be made for just girls. While the girls will be participating in the same things the boys do, however camping is a bit of an issue. Boy Scouts use the buddy system....and that includes sharing tents at night....so I'm sure it's obvious what the issue might be with teen boys and girls sharing the same tent, even with adult supervision (we can't be every where at once).

This is really not that big of a deal. We have women adult leaders in the BSA. My own wife is one and is a Woodbadger. There is absolutely NO reason why girls can not also join the BSA.

So the name changes. The Core Values do not.

link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye

Just my opinion.

Yea but the popcorn is nowhere near the same level of deliciousness!

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:03 AM
link   
I hear Man Scouts is fun.

edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:04 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

As someone who is invovled have you seen membership/participation increasing or decreasing and do you think this move will increase or decrease membership/participation?

edit on 3-5-2018 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   

-dex

I think I knew her by a different name. Did she look anything like this:

My girl had a similar build, but not nearly so sexy.

-dex

I know a few chicks that could pinch their cheeks a leave a man minus one member.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Thanks for this perspective. It never seemed like a big deal to me. Camping is fun for both genders and I see no reason why girls should be excluded from that fun.

Plus there is the Pinewood Derby! That is one of the most fun things you do in Scouts.
edit on 3-5-2018 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: eNumbra

This too. From what I've read up about the organization is that its really just a social club for young girls instead of a club to learn camping and survival techniques.

This was my experience and it got worse and worse as I got older so I quit before High School.
I always envied the guys in Boy Scouts. They did fun activities they actually leanred useful skills and did a lot of competitions with their parents involvement.... I always felt like GSA was my parents dropping me off to have circle time and my neighbors house with some other girls i went to school with.

We went camping- in a cabin once *eye roll*

I think this is pretty cool that BSA is allowing girls in. I don't really have a dog in the race any more as I am too old and we decided we wouldn't want our son in one of those unless we had the time to lead ourselves. We just trust no one with our child that's all. At any rate it's super nice of BSA and maybe one day GSA will open their eyes and see why girls are dropping out or looking to other organizations even STEM clubs.

-Alee

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join