It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii sunscreens with chemicals can harm coral reefs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Either I read an article or was told by a friend (many years ago) that if you have a salt water aquarium with live coral and put as little as one to two drops of sun screen into the water the coral will die shortly. So IMO this has been known for a very long time ..

We hear about coral reefs dying at popular tourist spots around the world.. I have always wondered how much the sun screen soaked bathers have to do with the die offs.. Well maybe the sun screen industry and governments around the world will look at the data from Hawaii and take heed..?

Full title: Hawaii lawmakers pass bill banning sunscreens with chemicals that can harm coral reefs

Hawaii lawmakers passed a bill today banning the sale of sunscreens containing chemicals believed to be harmful to coral reefs.

If Gov. David Ige signs the bill into law, it will take effect Jan. 1, 2021 and make Hawaii the first state in the nation to enact such a law.

Senate Bill 2571, introduced by state Sen. Mike Gabbard (D, Kapolei-­Makakilo), prohibits the sale and distribution of over-the-counter sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate in Hawaii. The bill was up for House and Senate floor votes today.

www.staradvertiser.com...

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That's Tulsi's dad.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:00 PM
link   
A lot of different veggies have furocoumerins in them which sensitize the skin. They tell us to eat more veggies, many of which are in this class, and then they tell us we need sunscreen or we increase cancer risk.

I think that we have a lot of fools believing people who want to profit from us. Eat those veggies in the winter, eat hot dogs and BBQ chicken and potato salad in the summer, light on celery in the potato salad.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 07:36 AM
link   

So IMO this has been known for a very long time ..

You´re right. It has been known for years that the oil from the sunscreen harms the reefs in several ways (blocking light, residue on soft and corals). Kind of funny how

sunscreens containing chemicals believed to be harmful to coral reefs.

they don´t know what they are doing! The most important thing to "the government" is make a law, that will help for sure. No it does not. It´s been known for years to take a shower before you go swimming if you have sunlotion on your skin.

Doh.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Oxybenzone a common ingredient in most sunscreens is the culprit. It also may cause cancer in humans. I try to stick with zinc based suncreens to avoid these problems.

www.npr.org...

www-m.cnn.com...

top topics

join