It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did a Comet End the Younger Dryas or Was it Plasma Solar Flares

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:23 PM
link   

edit on 2-5-2018 by BlueJacket because: im over this site

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

If there had been any sizable impact on N. America, we would see every organism inhabiting specific ecological niches wiped out. But we don't see anything like that. There was no single event that made all megafauna extinct in one fell swoop. For example, we know by looking at mammoth remains and their genetics, that they had been suffering from a decrease in genetic diversity for thousands of years and that the Great Pyramid at Giza had been constructed before the last mammoths finally gave up the ghost.

The crux of my point though is that there were many species of megafauna in N. America alone. Many of them shared the same ecological niche. By that mean that they all lived in the same type of environment, ate the same types of food and faced the same types of carnivorous predators(or omnivorous in the case of men). Yet only some of these creatures died off while others survived. And the ones who perished did so over a lengthy period of time in some cases.

That simply would not have occurred if there were a celestial body impacting with, or exploding in the air similar to what occurred in Tunguska 110 years ago.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

I don't understand why you would delete the post when all I sought was clarification and an open dialogue. Isn't the ability to learn from one another and exchange ideas the pont of posting on a site like this?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Blue Shift

Would it be possible for something like that to blow off the top layers of the atmosphere and create enough turmoil in the magnetic field that some of it could reach the ground undeflected?

A CME causes the magnetosphere to "wiggle" it doesn't make it go away. But even if it did, the atmosphere is far more dense than the plasma of the CME. A CME is really next to nothing. And nothing cannot penetrate the atmosphere.

So, would you say we have nothing to worry about from the sun then? Or just that a CME could never produce a "death shot" and kill Any life on Earth? But a solar flare could?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: peter vlar

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Ive always felt there was more to the story...Ill say this, I have always felt radio carbon dating could, or rather would be flawed, by virtue of unseen parameters..

What exactly do you mean when saying 'flawed by virtue of unseen parameters'? Do you mean untestable and unaccounted for? Because the margin of error for and the efficacy of that specific method of radiometric dating is well documented and regularly tested and independently reproduced by various teams in every country on Earth. Or are you using radiocarbon interchangeably with radiometric? The former is a very specific test and the latter is a blanket term for all forms of dating utilizing radioactive decay.

Something happened before and after 10k bc twice. Whatever it was rubbed out a million years of hominid history.

How exactly is flawed radiocarbon dating accounting for the geological timeline being off by a million years? radiocarbon dating only refers to 14C dating and normal 14C dating is only accurate to around 50KA and 14C utilizing spectron microscopy only pushes it back to 100 KA because of its relatively short half life.

I think he might be saying (regarding the "unseen parameters") is that we don't know that c14 decayed at the same rate throughout history. Changing environmental stimuli could lead to a changing rate.

Basically there is just too much we still do not know. Isn't that always the trouble with us humans? We know just enough to get ourselves in real trouble, we remind me of an 8-9 year old kid who is admittedly a little clever, there is definitely Something, to work with here, but, who the hell are/were this kid's parents is what I wanna know! They didn't teach him/her a bit of respect for others, patience, being humble, accepting other existing viewpoints. All that potential gone to waste. I guess he or she may clean up their act eventually, but it's a shame so much time has been wasted due to a lack of guidance...

Also, I saw your post on page 2. Maybe next time you'll choose to push the Quote button rather than reply. But maybe it was just a really long post, and that's why you didn't want to quote it...? Anyway, you have to be prepared for the fact that people can edit or delete their post, potentially causing you to look or feel foolish. So, if you quote, then people will know What you are replying to, and not just Who.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I think the solar flare idea is a good one. They can happen pretty much at random. It wouldn't leave behind any real solid evidence, and it seems to link up to a lot of prehistory symbolism all around the planet while providing a possible explanation for such things as vitrified rock found in deserts and other areas far from volcanoes (no, not nuclear wars),

It seems that you are confusing a solar flare with a CME. That article is talking about a CME and most of what he says is nonsense. The plasma of a CME is very diffuse (comparable in density to a laboratory vacuum). It is also greatly affected by two things; the Earth's magnetic field and the upper atmosphere. The combination of these two things mean that the solar plasma itself will never reach Earth's surface. No vitrified rock. In fact, not really noticeable to anyone on the Earth's surface.

But what can happen is that when those high energy particles from the Sun are directed by the Earth's magnetic field to the poles they are then directed downward to the upper atmosphere. When those particles encounter the atoms of the upper atmosphere they create the light show known as the aurora. In the process, they also produce Carbon 14. A very powerful CME would indeed leave solid evidence in the form of a 14C spike. It's happened.
www.nature.com...

Very enlightening. Thanks.

This line of 'evidence' supporting a celestial impactor is gaining MSM traction, but this CME assertion is food for thought.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

The only effect a CME could have is on our power grids and satellites.

An extremely intense solar flare could be harmful to life on the surface due to gamma radiation. Extremely intense, however our star does not seem to be the type of star which produces such flares.
edit on 5/3/2018 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

New England

In Arizona

Spent some time at these locations. The local results differ from the mainstream, but so do many others.
Something really serious, and abrupt happened and science will be scurrying around for decades before it is a significant entry that will wind up in history books.
edit on 4-5-2018 by charlyv because: s

posted on May, 5 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

a reply to: 3n19m470

The only effect a CME could have is on our power grids and satellites.

An extremely intense solar flare could be harmful to life on the surface due to gamma radiation. Extremely intense, however our star does not seem to be the type of star which produces such flares.

Carrington Event 1859, "Telegraph systems all over Europe and North America failed, in some cases giving telegraph operators electric shocks.[16] Telegraph pylons threw sparks.[17] Some telegraph operators could continue to send and receive messages despite having disconnected their power supplies.[18]"

Lol, I like the last bit. That sounds interesting.
Wiki

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I'd just like to interject a little science into this discussion,

Youger Dryas and Bronze Age impact papers

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Was the Younger Dryas impact event a normal comet or was it a high methane hydrate ice comet.

A comet with 20 to 50% methane ice would have caused a massive fireball as the methane ignited plus it would have caused a lot of CO2 from the burning of the methane. This would have caused levels of both methane and CO2 to rise and both are powerful green house gases.

This in its self could have ended to ice age.
robertscribbler.com...

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ANNED

except for the fact that the YD Impact hypothesis says that the impact preceded the YD, not ended it.

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
I have my own theory about what happened aeons ago here on earth, that was cause and effect from an event that happened outside of Mars.

We had a planet between Mars and Jupiter, that was struck by a comet, which blew it up to smithereens.. causing its planetary/rocky core parts to fling in all sorts of directions.

Pieces smashed Mars, creating the "Scar of Mars", obliterating its surface life and atmosphere. Other parts flung towards Earth and caused the event of cataclysmic proportions.

The remainder of its body was absorbed by Jupiter and collected itself as what we call the asteroid belt.

I'm no professional, there may be gaps in my theory , but I've had this theory since I was in elementary school (I even wrote an essay about it in early grades!).

Thanks for sharing

Lucifer, the morning star, from what I know could be the planet in question. Just as we have a night star that comes around the same time as the moon, there was a morning star coming before the sun, it is actually the source of the misnomer of satan being called lucifer, because the scripture talks about the morning star having fallen, and someone attributed it to the star, which now I think of it may have also come from myth/metaphor that was interpreted as reality.

If you go on youtube and lookup why gobekli tepe was buried there is a vid where this guy talks about another cataclysmic event at 7600 bc or so involving seven comet fragment impacts and mile high sunamis, which would actually explain the Great Salt Lake, sunami dissipates, but some of it remains in the great basin area. This particular theory is interesting if you have heard the story of phaethon and the sun chariot, he was inexperienced, trying to drive his fathers sun chariot, crashed and burned, causing fires and his sisters sent their tears which fell to earth and flooded everything, interestingly enough at certain times of the year, comets from the taurid stream would appear to come from pleiades region, which is also known as seven sisters, 7 and 7, right?

I think this may be a separate event from the younger dryas, seems to me from everything I have been reading lately, earth has had a very cataclysmic past, in fact, if there was ever a golden age of man, maybe it's now while we have had nothing happening for a long while (*crosses fingers; throws salt over shoulder; knocks on wood)

Also, seems to me from all the evidence that it is normal for earth to be in and out of ice ages, the last 10000 yrs are actually the warmest it's been in a very long time, and it's probably due to this cataclysm that we don't have ice in a lot of places right now. I really wonder though, we are not very adapted to cold, however maybe this is because neanderthals were the humans adapted to cold but they died because when these global catastrophes were happening, they toughed it out while the rest of us, who lived in warmer places ran for cover

Seems to me these stories speak of wars in the sky between "gods" and or man, maybe interplanetary wars? I was thinking maybe the "gods" were just more advanced humans while others were hunter/gatherers, just like now and it was just too pointless or difficult to explain to people who wanted to believe the stars were gods also.

It's funny this guy Ignatius Donnely had a comet/cataclysmic flood theory too, in 1880 or so, he was laughed at too; I just started reading his book, his science is actually presented very well

posted on Dec, 1 2018 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ANNED
A comet with 20 to 50% methane ice would have caused a massive fireball as the methane ignited plus it would have caused a lot of CO2 from the burning of the methane. This would have caused levels of both methane and CO2 to rise and both are powerful green house gases.

This in its self could have ended to ice age.

An ice comet would explain why there are no direct impact areas really found.

There is evidence of an impact, I was just reading about these carolina bays in the eastern us atlantic seaboard, someone wrote a piece about how the only thing that can really explain them geologically is if there was an impact and these bays are caused by mud and ice/water being flung in this impact. They could probably be used to triangulate where the impact was based on their angles.

Interestingly enough, one of the first people to create a major theory about this said it was a comet or meteor impact 12000 yrs ago
edit on 1-12-2018 by JeremiahStone because: typo

Also, I noticed judeo christian faiths seem to have an affinity for taking over a place and removing the older belief system, perhaps Enlil simply wants us to forget that he tried to kill all of us
edit on 1-12-2018 by JeremiahStone because: enlil

top topics

<< 1   >>

join