It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone else thinks English language is getting more difficult?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Stick to using basic English. Eliminate slang and the use of punctuation shortcuts. Use the actual word instead of one or two letters of that word. Eliminate the use of subcultural expressions.

You'll see the basic structure in no time.

Our language has been adulterated, but it's still there.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Lurker1
Stick to black or white for your text.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: makemap

Does anyone else thinks English language is getting more difficult?

Yeah the more I carry it around the heavier it gets.

Seriously I don't understand the question.

Sentences and grammar changed overtime to even using ";". They call us uneducated but simple handwriting back then didn't use so much complicated words and new symbols such as ";", "/", "&", and "..."

back then?

yes, as a child you expression is more simple than it is when you get older, that is because you learn how to express yourself in a more detailed fashion as you grow and learn the language you speak.

It is no wonder 19th century immigrants find it a lot easier to learn English than today.

How do you compare a person from the 1800s and how easy it was to learn English for them to a person living today and how easy or hard it is fro them?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
Stick to black or white for your text.

I'm having problems with my eyes. Green is easiest to see at the moment.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   
English is my second language, compared to my home language it's a cake-walk.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Green is easiest to see at the moment.

Only for you

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Grammar has the same structure: subject - predicate, or a noun or pronoun carrying out an action (verb). All the other parts work around those base blocks to create the astounding variety of forms that can create a sentence.

The point being communication. Read Tom Sawyer, do you understand what is being communicated? If so why do we need to hash out the proper form a sentence needs to take.

There is an agenda going on to blend us all into a homogeneous mass.

I ain't doing my duty by that boy, and that's the Lord's truth, goodness knows. Spare the rod and spile the child, as the Good Book says. I'm a-laying up sin and suffering for us both, I know. He's full of the Old Scratch, but laws-a-me! he's my own dead sister's boy, poor thing, and I ain't got the heart to lash him, somehow.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TonyS

In those days, they put much emphasis on Grammer and the proper use of English.

1926 I don't think so. They didn't grammar police at all back then.

Reading, Writing, Arithmetic all for the common daily use, simple teaching.

Still, it was better taught than what you get today, the biggest problem as I see it is class size.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

Green is easiest to see at the moment.

Only for you

I have a handicap placard in my car, too. I have severe spinal arthritis, which makes walking distances difficult.

Would you like me to stop using it because you don't like it?

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Only for you because others can´t read it, what´s the point in posting then... that being said:

A little fun here and there you know...see the mug? Do you see it? Do you also see the "
"?

No need to get all bitchy. Should I start listing up my diseases now? How about morbus chron, pancreatic insufficieny, rheumatism, shattered vortex plate on my spine? What a weak attempt to use your personal medic history to score some points.

Seriously, capitalizing on a handicap to score a point agains something that was clearly tagged as fun??
Pathetic.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

I thought you were still giving me a hard time. Apologies.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

In those days, they put much emphasis on Grammer and the proper use of English.

1926 I don't think so. They didn't grammar police at all back then.

Reading, Writing, Arithmetic all for the common daily use, simple teaching.

Still, it was better taught than what you get today, the biggest problem as I see it is class size.

Exactly, no one was forced to write essays to know the language. They were simply given books to read. By the time I'm out of high school. Colleges/Uni still forced complicated essays on us even though I speak the language 100% perfectly fine. Essays have nothing to do with some trades jobs either.
edit on 3-5-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Apologies accepted .

Have you tried switching the color theme on ATS? It´s the most right symbol on the header-menu. Maybe that will fix it for you?
edit on 3-5-2018 by verschickter because: typo

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I believe I addressed that in another post. It is not taught by design. Apparently, no one sees the value in things like sentence diagramming and other forms of explicit grammar instruction.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

You´re definitly not alone...(reading for pleasure).

May I ask, are you a native english speaker? Because if so, that sounds very slopish.

If not totally know what you mean. I guess you´re a bit older like me. But today, at least here where english is a foreign teached language, you itterate over grammar until you get sick of it.

At least that´s what I saw when my kids had english from 5th grade on. Had a really hard time not spoiling them with my intuitive 70/80s english "knowledge". 1/10th I learned in school, the rest was reading, reading reading, trying to make sense with a thick dictionary.

I guess, for some of you my posts read like fingernails on a chalk-board.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Learning English is basically learning in a way Esperanto as its such a mix of languages from various places, The gaffer is studying such languages and its actually fun to see how they move around and change and when you know Torro means bull in Greek and Towel in Spanish the two basically make sense when they both have history of bull fighting.

Come to most parts of the UK and you'll be amazed that lots of words have lots of meanings and literally it could be almost a different language in the next town as people never really moved so accents and slang developed and around my way you could tell within a few streets where you lived as most people lived/worked/shopped in the same area.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Come to most parts of the UK and you'll be amazed that lots of words have lots of meanings and literally it could be almost a different language in the next town as people never really moved so accents and slang developed and around my way you could tell within a few streets where you lived as most people lived/worked/shopped in the same area.

I think that´s the case worldwide for almost every language. Like you said, you can tell the street / town / general region from dialect and special words as a local.

I´m also often amazed how many germanic words are used in english. Like Kindergarten (sometimes with d) or "uber" (although it´s ment to be "über") or a texan member here is named "TigerTatzen" that means "Tiger pawns"

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:09 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Given the fact that most of the European royalty were basically of the same blood it is hardly the most shocking thing to consider that if theres a royal baby and its reportered to be in the kindergarden and it will soon become the norm as most parents will want to follow the trend.

The English language is getting harder in a way as theres more words being added all the time and probably most of them rude, slap the letters ED on the end of nearly every word and you have something that says you was drunk

Man, was I Aarvarked last night to Zebraed you know what happened

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join