It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bye Bye Cambridge Analytica.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: alldaylong

I’m not sure if having to close shop because of the unfounded allegations, in combination with a sensationalist press and a Twitter mob, is very just at all.

Allegations? What allegations?

"Have you met Mr. Trump?"

"Many times."

"You have?"

"We did all the research, all the data, all the analytics, all the targeting... we ran all the digital campaign, the television campaign and our data informed all the strategy."

Video

Now that company is trying to close its doors and hide all the dirty work and people are standing up and saying that must not be allowed. All that data must be preserved and investigated.

Allegations?
edit on 2-5-2018 by Kharron because: typo

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Did the dems use them or not? Did Obama benefit or not? As the statement you suggest is false all they are saying is it wasn't until the Dems lost this time that it has become a point of interest.

No, no Democrats used CA, including Obama.

As the statement you suggest is false all they are saying is it wasn't until the Dems lost this time that it has become a point of interest.

Actually, no, it's not what was said by posters:

"The second their opposition adopted the tactic, the rules had to be changed." (that's wrong, the Democrats actually adopted what the Republican presidential candidate did in 2004)

"the Dem's little trick has been uncovered and since it was used by Trump it's now bad" (that's wrong, it wasn't "the Dems little trick")

"I love it everytime a Democrat plan backfires in their face" (again, wrong)

None of that really matters though. Camridge Analytica is not shutting its doors because it modeled/microtargeted. And them exiting the market place isn't a big deal. There are dozens of companies, several of them *much* larger, that provide modeling and microtargeting services to political campaigns. The political applications are only one segment of a much larger market. Sitting at the top are behemoth data brokers.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Did the dems use them or not? Did Obama benefit or not?

Yes they did.

They also used bots on both Twitter and Facebook.

And after they lost.

They have whined about nonstop going on two years now.

Get-out-the-vote operations mounted by the Obama campaign, the Democratic Party and progressive organizations mobilized more than one million dedicated volunteers on Election Day.But it was buttressed by a year-long, psychographic voter targeting and contact operation, the likes of which Democrats had never before participated in. In 2008, the principal repository of Democratic data was Catalist, a for-profit company that acted as the conductor for a data-driven symphony of more than 90 liberal groups, like the Service Employees Union -- and the DNC -- and the Obama campaign. The Catalist data was crunched by the Analyst Institute, a DC-based organization that was set up to perform rigorous experiments like these on progressive voter contact methods.

But the usual suspects really aren't interested in the truth.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I have to post again, I'm just so shocked here.

Why would anyone who posts on a website that has a 'deny ignorance' motto, not want to know what is being hidden here?

I'm all for transparency -- bring it all out!

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: schuyler
Briefly without getting into all the gory details, an app was developed that paid Facebook users to take surveys. Where the fraud comes in is that the data was supposed to be collected for scientific research, would be guarded, etc and continues into exploitation because unbeknownst to participants, the app wasn't just taking their survey results, it was accessing their FB profile and *EVERYTHING* that it could access from there, including all the data from friends who were sharing it with the participants.

Yeah, I'm not arguing the 'morals' of it, one way all the other.

I'm just saying you'd have to be incredibly naive to assume your FB account (or any other account you have on the internet, for that matter) is in anyway private and isn't being so called "data harvested" by someone or another.

No amount of 'outrage' from the public & MSM is ever going to change that fact.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Catalist isn't going anywhere. Nor is your heroes' i360.

Nor are:

Acxiom, Claritas, Experian, Epsilon, Oracle Data Cloud, Aristotle, NGP VAN, NationBuilder, DSPolitical, Targeted Victory, CampaignGrid, TargetSmart, etc.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Kharron

allegation |ˌaləˈɡāSH(ə)n|
noun

a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof: he made allegations of corruption against the administration | allegations that the army was operating a shoot-to-kill policy.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Who are the "usual suspects?"

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Data Warehouse is another one.

A group of well-connected Democrats led by a former top aide to Bill Clinton is raising millions of dollars to start a private firm that plans to compile huge amounts of data on Americans to identify Democratic voters and blunt what has been a clear Republican lead in using technology for political advantage.

The effort by Harold Ickes, a deputy chief of staff in the Clinton White House and an adviser to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), is prompting intense behind-the-scenes debate in Democratic circles. Officials at the Democratic National Committee think that creating a modern database is their job, and they say that a competing for-profit entity could divert energy and money that should instead be invested with the national party.

As it stands now, the DNC and Data Warehouse, created by Ickes and Democratic operative Laura Quinn, will separately try to build vast and detailed voter lists -- each effort requiring sophisticated expertise and costing well over $10 million.

Back to FAUX outrage.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Unfounded allegations of what? Please, elaborate.

Surely you read their statement.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Washington (CNN)Democratic data gurus are lashing out at Hillary Clinton after she complained publicly that her campaign was hamstrung by a party that had out-of-date information on individual voters.

www.cnn.com...

In 2012, the Obama campaign encouraged supporters to download an Obama 2012 Facebook app that, when activated, let the campaign collect Facebook data both on users and their friends

DOH!

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
They doing this to stop any potential law suits?

Change of name, and they will be up and running again

Some people were throwing out names like Bridgeport and Esmerelda. There are no shortage of job vacancies for "data scientists" and those doing "analytics" for marketing. Given that there are now mini-cameras that can be fitted to bus stop advertisements that can do facial expression recognition, eyeball tracking, those kind of analytics are just going to take off. Some were making money from doing analytics using Microsoft's motion sensor Kinect.

Others work on natural language processing of news feeds and streams from financial news agencies, so they can target their investments more accurately.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

allegation |ˌaləˈɡāSH(ə)n|
noun

a claim or assertion that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically one made without proof: he made allegations of corruption against the administration | allegations that the army was operating a shoot-to-kill policy.

Thank you for being a... word I don't want to use. As if I didn't know what an allegation was.

I'll take your response as an attempt to derail and not answer. How else can it be taken? You did not reply to what was brought up and instead chose to make fun of the poster... otherwise known as a straw-man.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
I know this won't be a popular opinion, but I really don't understand why people are so outraged by what this organisation did... How is this some big scandal?

Having an account on FB and then getting all upset about having your data harvested, is equivalent to eating fish & chips at the beach, then getting pissed when the seagulls rock up.

Some folks refuse to believe the truth.

Information is a currency.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Wait a minute. Obama hired a company to steal millions of people’s private data so he could target them with fake news? First I heard of it. Got any proof? a reply to: toysforadults

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Thank you for being a... word I don't want to use. As if I didn't know what an allegation was. I'll take your response as an attempt to derail and not answer. How else can it be taken? You did not reply to what was brought up and instead chose to make fun of the poster... otherwise known as a straw-man.

My absolute pleasure. The collective outrage at Cambridge Analytica is matched only by how much of a non-story this is.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Yeah, I'm not arguing the 'morals' of it, one way all the other. I'm just saying you'd have to be incredibly naive to assume your FB account (or any other account you have on the internet, for that matter) is in anyway private and isn't being so called "data harvested" by someone or another. No amount of 'outrage' from the public & MSM is ever going to change that fact.

It's ridiculous. It's like publishing your diary and getting outraged at someone else for reading it.
edit on 2-5-2018 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I just love it when the publicans try to use false equivalence to make a failed point. I worked for the obama campaign. The data they amassed was for us out for n the field so we wouldn’t waste our time knocking on rwnj’s houses. As there was no reason to waste time on the deplorables. a reply to: neo96

edit on 2-5-2018 by soundguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Thank you for being a... word I don't want to use. As if I didn't know what an allegation was. I'll take your response as an attempt to derail and not answer. How else can it be taken? You did not reply to what was brought up and instead chose to make fun of the poster... otherwise known as a straw-man.

My absolute pleasure. The collective outrage at Cambridge Analytica is matched only by how much of a non-story this is.

I think the only thing incredible is people trying to pretend like there is no story, after a video of a confession is posted.

We have a president who says he loves America and all things American but then decides to hire a foreign company to run his campaign. I can see two reasons for this:

a) He does not think America is best and hires foreign.
b) He wanted to keep shady dealings away from American companies that can be investigated more easily.

I don't understand why anyone reasonable would not want this investigated. Enlighten me please... and simply assume that I understand the words I write so try to stay on topic.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

What false equivalence?

For over a decade the left has used data mining.

So tell me why the manufactured villain CA?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join