It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fortnite: a parents' guide to the most popular video game in schools

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Fortnite: a parents' guide to the most popular video game in schools

What is Fortnite: Battle Royale?
In short, it’s a mass online brawl where 100 players leap out of a plane on to a small island and then fight each other until only one is left. Hidden around the island are weapons and items, including crossbows, rifles and grenade launchers, and players must arm themselves while exploring the landscape and buildings. It’s also possible to collect resources that allow you to build structures where you can hide or defend yourself. As the match progresses, the playable area of land is continually reduced, so participants are forced closer and closer together. The last survivor is the winner.

Fortnite is the most popular game in the world right now, and it's not even close. I'm surprised no one here has mentioned it yet and I'm really interested in three things to hear from ATS.

1. Does anyone here play fortnite? I currently on Twitch and I'm always looking for more people to watch and play with, so If you are on there please feel free to Join me please!

2. Why do you all think Fortnite has become so popular? It's really interesting to me because I feel like it came out of no where and suddenly became the most popular game in the world in a matter of months!

3. Have you guys started Season 4 yet!? There are like secret bases everywhere!

I know this isn't my typical ATS post(nevermind forum topic) but I was searching for Fortnite and I couldn't find a single forum about this game and we can't have that!
So please let's talk about it, I'm sure there are at least some of you with the same guilty pleasure that I have !

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: PsychoEmperor

I play it! And I love it. My gamer tag is Normalton. Add me to your friends list.

It's popular be cause of the air drops. Dropping out of the sky is a genus way to stop spawn campers.

It's unique because it has the fort building aspect in an fps.

The graphics are nice and the game play smooth even if you don't have the best pc.

And the environment is completely destructible.

Everyone is on equal footing. No pay to win with this game at all.

The only down side , and it has nothing to do with the game itself, is that a lot of people don't use their mics when playing.
I mean come on people how do you expect to coordinate with team members if you don't talk.

That dropping from the sky thing should be standerd on all fps games from here on out. Make spawn camping a thing of the past.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Never heard of it. Looks kinda cool though. If it runs on Linux may give it a try. I have no windows computer or console so it mostly depends on that.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Bring back traditional family get together games such as Monopoly I say...

Go to prison young un or SJW... « SKREEEEEEEE »

Blood n guts galore for all the family...

Pffftttt...

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Awesome game....love watching Sl1pg8r and ExHilEr8 play duos on Twitch.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Oh that would be interesting, I've been actually wondering if introducing a battle royal concept to games like Halo or Call of Duty would work just as well. I really do hope this genre takes off and helps out other games. The idea of everyone jumping from a sky in every game haha that would make a lot of games super interesting.

andddd Invite sent!

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat
Awesome game....love watching Sl1pg8r and ExHilEr8 play duos on Twitch.

Thank you I haven't hear of those two, I will check them out

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

So it doesn't look like the game support Linux natively but I found this link about a guy doing a workaround on reddit. Now I'm not sure if this is safe or not so please don't take this as an endorsement. I just searched "Fortnite on Linux" and I found that. Please proceed with caution.

ETA: Looks like it doesn't work anymore as Epic Games patched the whole that allowed this Linux option. Sorry

edit on 5/2/2018 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Um isnt that "Battlegrounds"?

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Has it now surpassed PUBG in number of players?

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Has it now surpassed PUBG in number of players?

Yep! But they are both very popular: Fortnite has overtaken PUBG

Fortnite as of February had 3.4 Million players(before they released their mobile version), PUBG Is currently reporting 2 million players a month. I'm not one to buy into the Fortnite VS PUBG debate much. I personally prefer Fortnite, but I see the appeal of both. and quite frankly, 2 million players a month is nothing to sneeze at

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Bring back traditional family get together games such as Monopoly I say...

Go to prison young un or SJW... « SKREEEEEEEE »

Blood n guts galore for all the family...

Pffftttt...

You need Catan.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   

My son plays it on XBox. I am not a gamer, but I can't help but hear him playing it. I have watched him play it sometimes.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:44 PM
link   
My 11 year old son just started - some of his friends have been playing a while. Question - is it ok for a kid his age? It's hard to keep up with this stuff and what's appropriate.
edit on 5 2 2018 by underpass61 because: sp

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I love the idea....100 start and 1 leaves.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:50 PM
link   

My son plays this on his vidja box PlayStation.

He seems to like it.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I play it a little on PS4. But I need to get gud. Best I've placed so far I think was 3rd, and I was camping most of that time. I love storm aspect of the game, but the fort building ruins it for me. I hear that the PVE is a blast also. I may try to pick the full version up. However, I'm anxiously awaiting PUBG to drop on PS4. I think it would be more my jam.

RazorOneFour is my PSN

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

My son plays a team option. I don't think that you have to kill your team mates at the end if they are the only ones left.... but I don't know that for sure.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:52 PM
link   
My sons play this game. I tried it out. I liked it for like five minutes. Too slow gameplay style for me. I am more a fan of games like Call of Duty and doom, where the action is fast and bloody. Doom is quite especially pleasant right now. Fast and bloody, how a shooter is supposed to be.

Fortnight is more of a simulation/adventure game with a TPS(Third-person) shooter aspect. I don't consider it an FPS at all, since it is not even in first person view. Its a one life competitive adventure/sim .

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
My 11 year old son just started - some of his friends have been playing a while. Question - is it ok for a kid his age? It's hard to keep up with this stuff and what's appropriate.

I have a 10 and 7 year old that both play it. I feel that the game itself is age appropriate as there is nothing too violent or gory. The only problem I have come across is my kids not wanting to do anything else besides play it so finding a balance is important.

I've played it too though not very often. Last time was a month ago and I enjoy it as well.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join