It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

C-130 down in Savannah

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Could be spar, but someone also said power rollback on all four. There's a security camera video I'm not even going to look for that apparently shows then at a very steep nose low angle all the way to impact.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Jesus. They rolled completely inverted, then flipped 180 degrees and were almost back level facing the other way. The video was posted as an autoplay on a link I followed. That was one of the most horrific crashes I've ever seen.
edit on 5/2/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It almost looks like they entered a stall-spin. I can only imagine what sort of catastrophic failure put them in that position.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Security camera video here

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Holy God..

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Ever since trump took Office it seems these things are increasing. Multiple ships colliding planes crashing, sad.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: soundguy

This started long before Trump. Let's keep politics out of this.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:47 PM
link   

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
It was a WC-130H belonging to the 156th Airlift Wing. They normally fly into storms to get detailed data for forecasters. Full tail number is 65-0968, meaning it was built in 1965. It appears that it was heading into the Boneyard for storage.

I keep checking the Tail Number, but it keeps refering to 50-0968

N/M I see my mistake.
www.c-130.net...

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Someone pointed out a very similar accident that occurred not long after LRAFB got their first C-130s. One took off and the rudder jammed full left. They said the crash looked very similar.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:41 PM
link   
The FAA confirmed that the Aircraft Commander declared an emergency and that they were returning to the airport.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:02 PM
link   
The loop is horrifying to say the least it does look like a total power / hydraulic failure. When I first looked at a still it was looping and that could be explained by a jammed rudder, but the video point to something else. He looks like he lost lift while RTB which points to power failure

It does not look like center of gravity upset either
edit on 5/2/18 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
The FAA confirmed that the Aircraft Commander declared an emergency and that they were returning to the airport.

Hmmm. Bad fuel?

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

I'll almost guarantee they had little to no cargo on board at the time. This was a flight control issue.

Btw check your messages.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:05 PM
link   

No, I'm thinking rudder or elevator jam. If the elevator jammed nose up it would explain some of what we saw.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Yikes, there is a report that they may have been on a simply ferry flight to the bone yard at D-M

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

It was one of the oldest remaining C-130s still operational. They're in the process of retiring the former WCs for newer H models.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'd believe that. The uncoordinated stall-spin that this herc went into reminds me a ton of National flight 102. In the 747 it was due to an unsecured load sliding backwards during climb-out, but full, uncorrectable nose-up elevator deflection would have more or less the exact same effect as a catastrophic aft-heavy COG shift and god help you if you didn't have the nose pointing straight and the wings perfectly level when it happens to you.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Just saw the video... that was pretty bad to watch.

Ill be interested to see the safety report, and hopefully they will release the voice recorder at some point, it almost looked like they just ran out of sky. (if that makes sense) Some more altitude and they may have saved it, or at least made it survivable for some.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:06 PM
link   
A spokesman for the Puerto Rico ANG just announced that it was 5 flight crew and 4 maintenance and other personnel on board.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join