It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun collector with ‘arsenal of deadly weapons’ arrested

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MteWamp

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: Asktheanimals infolurker

I'm not familiar with laws in NY, however from my minimal knowledge, I do know they are very strict and possibly violating the 2nd.

Given the absence of statutes, I'm reserving judgement. It sounds like a load of BS>

Aside from when I was in the Army, I’ve lived here my whole life. It’s almost like a parallel universe compared to when I was a kid. Though I grew up in a fairly rural area upstate and it was as common to see a cow walk through the practice fields after escaping from the dairy farm next to the school as it was rifles and shotguns hanging in racks in the back of pickup trucks. And that went for students and teachers. Particularly in the fall when deer season opened.

Today,obviously, schools are all “gun free zones” (or as i call them ‘open season markets for murder’) but thugs took a nasty turn after Sandy Hook. The legislature went into a late night session and literally around midnight, passed the SAFEAct and provisions such as the sale of “assault weapons” went into effect immediately and any store carrying firearms was in for unholy hell when they unlocked the doors at 9am the following morning. The firearms store near my house had to have the State Police come into the store the morning after this BS law went into effect because people were literally fighting each other over who was there or in line first because what the store had in stock could still be sold. They did such a shoddy rush job on the legislation that the police using 15 round magazines in their service weapons were actually in violation of the law. It originally stated that magazine capacity was limited to 7 rounds. Have you ever seen a 7 round magazine? Neither have I. Anyone who possessed what the state designated as an assault rifle had 90 days to register it with the state, turn it in or sell it to an out of state buyer. Same thing for magazines that can hold more than 7 rounds! They later amended the law to let LEO’s use the magazines intended for their service weapons and changed the magazine capacity from 7 to 10 round mags for civilians but we weren’t allowed to load more than 7 rounds into the magazine. You seriously can’t make up stuff this bat s# crazy. There was also a provision regarding background checks on ammo purchases and wanted possession of pistol ammo illegal without a pistol permit. Which shows how retarded the legislators in NY are because there are many rifles that use pistol ammo. Hell, .22 ammo could be considered pistol ammo and that was the first gun I learned how to shoot on at Boy Scout camp. It really sounds like a work of dystopian fiction when I type it all out like this.

Aside from the statewide SAFEAct, NYC where the gentleman arrested in the OP lives, had even more strict firearms laws. It’s nearly impossible for a civilian to obtain a handgun permit in NYC and oh also need a separate permit for rifles
and shotguns. And then there are the fees (hundreds of dollars for each permit) 2 passport sized photos, 17 pages of documentation and application and that’s is you’ve never been charged with a crime. A misdemeanor that was dismissed or you were found not guilty? Papers please! Yup... you’ve got to document it all. Then they want an original SS Card, NYS Drivers License, a utility bill is often requested and you can be denied a permit without one and even though you haven’t bought a gun yet because of don’t have the permit, you need to pass a NICS check. There are a couple of other things as well but I can’t remember off the top of my head and I’m on my phone at the moment so I will find the info and add a citation shortly.

Between this, my ever increasing property taxes with diminished returns on what we receive (all of the stuff the school supplied us when I was a kid is now supplied by my wife and I and when they run low they call or email me asking for things like Kleenex and toilet paper. Seriously... I’ve showed up at school with a huge bulk thing of toilet paper before because the class was out and I happened to pick up the phone tginkjngtgere was a problem with one of the kids) and the botched medical marijuana legislation that finally passed but nobody can find a doctor who will prescribe it because the state mkes them get a new certification to be able to prescribe something I can grow myself, but I digress... to sum it up, the sad and sorry state of affairs in the state I grew up in and lived all my life (who the hell doesn’t enjoy being able to hike the High Peaks in the Adirondack Mountains in the summer?) has led me to purchase 8 acres in Maine and then because it was so much less of an investment to buy a house that was already there ( and in a far better school district to boot), that’s what we did. The only positive about living in the ‘Capital District’ is that when the market took a nosedive in 08/09, my house didn’t lose any value or equity so when I finish doing some minor work on it over the summer and put it on the market, I’ll actually have enough money to pay off the mortgage in Maine. My In-Laws are both retired and have sold all but one of their properties in D.C. and that condo is about to be listed and they will be year round residents of Maine as well and only a little under 2 hours from us so my daughter will get to see one set of grandparents pretty frequently.

But the real benefit of moving there is that they actually respect the Second Amendment. They passed a law in 2015 I think removing the requirement for a permit to carry concealed aside from the normal spots like courthouses, schools etc... I can walk in with my Maine ID and walk out the door 20 min later with a new pistol. And I can grow my own medicine instead of being a slave to the pain management doctor and the pharmacy. I’m a little sad that it came to this. But the benefits of making this move far outweigh any negatives or reservations I have.

ETA- citation on NYC firearms laws and requirements to obtain a permit. It made me throw up a little in my mouth having to type out the fact that the City requires a permit in order to get access to a limited version of a constitutional right.

nycitylens.com...
edit on 2-5-2018 by peter vlar because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:14 AM
link   
He didn't have that many guns for being a collector, cripes, my stepfather had more guns than he did. Some people like to collect guns. When my stepfather died I was in charge of giving his guns to the people who he wanted them to go to. Something to remember him by.

A person who shoots a lot might have thousands of rounds of ammo for the guns he shoots regularly, buying them when he gets a good deal on the ammo. I have belonged to a gun club for many years, around here there are lots of gun collectors. He did have a few handguns that were not registered, that is illegal here, but longguns are not a problem as long as you are a citizen and are not an ex-con.

I sure wouldn't want to live in New York and I sure would not want to have New Yorkers governing our right to bear arms. I know some people who have twice the number of guns he has, they are buying and selling them quite often at gun swaps.

AS far as the ammo, I must have two thousand 22 shells, the article does not stipulate what kind of bullets, there could be three thousand pellets for the pellet gun.

edit on 2-5-2018 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   
2 M1 Garands: 1 out of the box with Cosmoline $2300.00 now worth twice as much. The other was obtained many years after..
my great uncle.. price, priceless. He died near Utah beach 2 days later, and that was his weapon.

Remington 12 gauge and Mossberg 500. I love skeet/trap shooting. Have I ever shot a duck or any bird, no... I like shooting clay. Unit cost of $800.00 combined after modification.
Remington is going up in value since Remington has filed for bankruptcy $$$$$$.

1 German Mauser rifle. Cost unknown.

308, Glock 22, Glock 19, Henry iron frame lever action.. one of those alone is $2200.00.

My Brown Bess Musket..

Not sure what she's worth.

An interchangeable Contender. Used once on a horde of gourds, price unkown.

357 Magnum

And MAXXINE. An Armalite-15 by Smith and Wesson. Iron sites and Police/NATO red dot site $680.00. Now $2500.00

Ammunition for all of them. Downstairs locked in a big case or 2. Behind a pile of Firefighter gear.... keys are with the Civil War cannonball.

I can't imagine killing anything with any of this. But from an investment point of view, it has never devalued.

There was a period when I was 16 to 23 where I was buying and selling a car once a month. I got a NastyGram informing me that I had to Apply for a License to be a Car Dealer. Or face fines... thankfully by then I was making enough not to buy lemons. But that experience scared the Snip out of me.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Yeah, everyone should be allowed to stockpile illegal weapons! Gun collector doesn't mean you are above the law and NYC is well known for their strict gun laws. This guy isn't smart.

HE had them BEFORE the law was past. He was legal in this case. Also there were no Illegal weapons there. no AR-15s or "assault weapons." I got news anything can be a assault weapon. Thats anything you assault someone with.

Which law? The UNSAFEAct? This happened in Queens, NYC. Far more strict laws than the state itself. The laws he violated were those of NYC unfortunately and even more unfortunately, under the UNSAFEAct there is no grandfathering like with the ‘94 AWB. He’s being charged for not having the city mandated permits for the rifles and some idiotic provision about owning pistol ammo. I used to have a Kel-Tec sub2000. Nice little carbine, really accurate out of the box and it took .40 or 9mm. I had the .40. I prefer it to 9mm personally.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Voted with my feet decades ago because I saw it coming - total nanny statism run amuk!

Sounds good test case on SAFE Act - barf.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Just the title alone...
"Gun collector with arsenal of deadly weapons"

Yes, guns not loaves of bread.
Deadly.
Yes, that's the idea.

Scare story 365.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Sounds like many Americans will be invading other countries looking for political asylum soon....

TheRedneck

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker
I am sooo glad to have moved out of NY. A beautiful state, with a lot of really nice people, but until they unshackle themselves from NYC, this is just going to keep happening.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: darkwingduck
I am sooo glad to have moved out of NY. A beautiful state, with a lot of really nice people, but until they unshackle themselves from NYC, this is just going to keep happening.

The sentiment is shared by the vast majority of us who live in the foothills of the Adirondacks even though most of them consider me a liberal. We’re tired of having people from Westchester, Rockland, NYC and Long Island dictating terms to us with backwards legislation.

The difference is literally comparable to 2 different worlds between the Capital district and the Adirondacks Vs. the above mentioned downstate locales. They have the option of the police showing up in a matter of minutes where the shortest response I’ve got from a call to the Sheriffs Dept or State Troopers was about 20 minutes and onwards of 2 or so hours the last time I had to call. And I dislike calling them for anything but when the neighbors constant barrage of fireworks that sounded like incoming mortars triggered a touch of the old PTSD, I knew that calling them was the difference between grabbing a beer and cursing while I paced around the house and pacing around a jail cell of my own and the neighbor wasn’t worth the charges.

We have coydogs and bear to contend with and nearly everyone I know hunts for food as opposed to sport so guns are, for some people around here, a necessity. For others it’s a lifeline that keeps their families fed for the winter if they manage to pull a big buck or 2. Downstate, they can walk to the bodega on the corner in the middle of winter and Ive got to wait for someone to plow me out if I don’t plan ahead properly.

So speaking for myself, I somewhat resent being labeled a gun nut because the injuries I received during my service arent enough to totally cripple me but enough to slow down my response time so having the option of keep the playing field level in case of a dispute with would be intruders, trespassers and burglars (and yes I’ve dealt with all 3 in the decade and a half I’ve owned this house) allows my wife to sleep a little easier knowing that within arms reach, I can protect and defend my home and family. Especially now that she’s up in Maine at the new house while I’m here waiting for the school year to end.

I’ve said for years now that they should allow NYC to form its own separate state and impose their draconian legislation on themselves and leave the rest of the state alone. For me it would be too little too late as my families exodus has already begun and not a moment too soon.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I just did a quick guesstimate of the value of the guns I own. None are for sale at this time, all are "keepers"

7 Semi-Auto Pistols - $4350
3 Revolvers - $1800
6 Semi-Auto Rifles - $3200
1 Bolt Action Rifle - $500
1 Shotgun - $150

Total: $10,000 of value that I could sell tomorrow easily. I am an amateur "collector" at best. I only consider one gun I own a "safe queen". The rest get shot on a regular basis, and all have a purpose.

Here in the South, we trade guns like other people trade baseball cards. I've personally met people with collections into the hundreds of guns and hundreds of thousands of dollars. One guy needed 3 of the biggest gunsafes he could buy to hold them, and was buying a 4th. None of them have every shot another person.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:15 AM
link   
" when in new york .... follow NY law " simples

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Leave it to liberal NY.
Deadly weapons.
They are guns, DUH!
Changing gun laws can make many of us criminals without us even knowing.

Besides, lethal force is only the right of the state.
Not even one automatic weapon there.
We are under totalitarian rule.

Something is not right with this story - either this is a 'death by a thousand cuts' mini government gun grab or this bloke shirked the law regarding weapons possession and ownership. The counts and charges appear very specific and cover a number of different types of firearms and ammunition that this bloke was apparently not allowed to own, unless he had the proper paperwork authorizing ownership..

Now, as you know, I'm pro 2A for a myriad of reasons, I also believe that no one is above the law, so before I go on my standard government gun grab tirade, can you (or anyone reading this) verify the validity of the charges laid because unless proven otherwise, this bloke is not doing any justice to the pro-2A movement and the rights of law abiding citizens.?

Whats the deal with that

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheRedneck
Sounds like many Americans will be invading other countries looking for political asylum soon....

TheRedneck

the country of North Carolina still allows firearms.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: JinMI

NY SAFE Act

What is legal in the rest of the nation is now illegal in NY.

I vote we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

Ummm...Now...let's not be hasty...I'm planning my exodus from New Yorkistan as we speak...

Just you itchy red alert button mashers hold your horses...there are some fine upstanding ATS members that happen to reside in this state...

Give us due diligence...and a little time to leave this #hole...

I'll post when I see that welcome to wherever but there in the rear view...
Then by all means...button mash away...

YouSir

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:36 AM
link   

It's things like this that make me not worry about WWIII, Russia, NK or any of that. If NYC got nuked tomorrow, it really wouldn't bother me all that much.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   

I don't understand why people are so upset about this. He had "40 weapons violations". Guns are regulated. You can't "collect" a cache of illegal weapons. What if someone broke into Russo's home and stole the weapons. And then went on a crime spree. Then the cops would be facing people with superior fire power. Why make it easy for criminals.

The only thing I did not like is they should have given the guy six months to get rid of the illegal weapons. Or just confiscate them or something. Since the guy has never did anything wrong before I think they should have treated him better.

You gun nuts are really crazy. Everyone has a different point where regulation occurs. Should 100 caliber machine guns, bazookas, and stinger missile be legal? Should someone on the street be able to sell stinger missiles near an airport? What could possibly happen? If you accept any gun regulation at all then why is this NYC thing an issue. Or if you are one of the crazy gun nuts who think we should have NO regulation then show some back bone and say it!

edit on 2-5-2018 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

I don't understand why people are so upset about this. He had "40 weapons violations". Guns are regulated. You can't "collect" a cache of illegal weapons. What if someone broke into Russo's home and stole the weapons. And then went on a crime spree. Then the cops would be facing people with superior fire power. Why make it easy for criminals.

The only thing I did not like is they should have given the guy six months to get rid of the illegal weapons. Or just confiscate them or something. Since the guy has never did anything wrong before I think they should have treated him better.

You gun nuts are really crazy. Everyone has a different point where regulation occurs. Should 100 caliber machine guns, bazookas, and stinger missile be legal? Should someone on the street be able to sell stinger missiles near an airport? What could possibly happen? If you accept any gun regulation at all then why is this NYC thing an issue. Or if you are one of the crazy gun nuts who think we should have NO regulation then show some back bone and say it!

what if his weapons were secured and nobody ever stole his weapons?

What if someone broke into your house and stole all the kitchen knives and killed a school full of tiny children?

No, the issue isn't with us "gun nuts", the issue here is with paranoia, stupidity, and a lack of understanding. Rather than worry about this collector and his collection, why not venture into the gangs and see how many of those "stolen illegal weapons" you were just so worried about exists there? Remember, of the two, only the gang members are likely to use them against people.

It's this ignorance that breeds the culture that enables a person to hate and fear an object, and disregard the monster that would use that object for nefarious means.

Sincerely- a Gun Nut. ( who has never fired a weapon at a person)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou
a reply to: Vroomfondel

I gotta ask ya, did you mean guns and not actual bear arms?

Haha...typo.

Well, now that I think about it, bear arms can be dangerous. Especially from those assault bears...

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: MteWamp
On the other hand, I acquired an absolutely gorgeous little Glock 43 today, so screw New York.

And before you ask, yes, I have small hands, especially for a guitar player.

Hence, Glock 43.

So, Yay!

Glock 30S.. Slim.. 45 Cal., daily carry. Guitar Player as well!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join