It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kanye West Calls Slavery A ‘Choice,’ Gets Schooled On History

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

You're as confused as he is.

Go Kanye for what. So you believe the slaves wanted to be slaves?

So an alt right conservative philosophy is free thinking?

Why isn’t a left wing idea free thinking?

Kanye confuses a minority opinion with free thinking, that’s not the reality.
Just because one is in the minority doesn’t mean they are free thinking.

All of us sometimes go along with the majority and some of the time we have unique views. None of that has anything to do with free thinking.

Wrong thinking is wrong thinking

edit on 1-5-2018 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Go Kanye...

Those two little words are the only thing in your screed that had anything to do with my comment... and every single one of your words following totally and completely misrepresented my entire comment in both letter and spirit.

So sad. I know you know better.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

If he was referencing modern times, is he really wrong? We (all Americans) are in a state of indentured servitude of sorts, and yeah, we allow it. Taxation, inflation, interest rates, pandered votes... all forms of slavery. If we actually wanted to be free, we'd be free. Freedom means reaping what you sow, being able to keep what you reap, and accepting responsibility when you fall on your ass.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If Kanye trying to say too many black people are using slavery as an excuse, why didn’t he just say it?

Many people say Gangsta rap is keeping black people in slavery. What does he say to that? With all the misogyny, saying the n-word and glorifying crime--which he perpetuates and can go be with his 300-pound bodyguards and live in Hollywood while the young black kids he pollutes with that music have to live in the ghetto.
You see this isn't all about race.

It may be Gansta rap that helps keep black people down

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Kanye emphasized 400 years for a reason. They were talking about still being slaves, not past slaves. The United States has only been a country for 242 years. I'm assuming they're referring to the English settlers in Jamestown, which was still only 399 years ago. So yeah, living like a slave is a choice in some ways. Not the most elegant way to put it, but I get what he's saying.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
If Kanye trying to say too many black people are using slavery as an excuse, why didn’t he just say it?

Many people say Gangsta rap is keeping black people in slavery. What does he say to that? With all the misogyny, saying the n-word and glorifying crime--which he perpetuates and can go be with his 300-pound bodyguards while the young black kids he pollutes with that music have to live in the ghetto.

WHAT!?!?! You just produced that from thin air, slapped as "many people say" tag on it, and tried to pass it off as an actively supported claim. I call bullcrap on that.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

No, I'm not suggesting he's wrong, I'm just saying that I believe that those first words were inciting to people, people usually drop their openness to even try to understand after that switch gets activated.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:00 PM
link   
And this elite GANGSTA rapper who many say contributes to the polluting the minds of young black kids who may be guilty of perpetuating modern mental slavery.

All for dollars

That's what this guy who was trying to tell Kanye. He could do all his tough guy gangsta rapping living in Hollywood with the Kardashians and philosophize all he wants but the young black kids have to go home to poverty and the reality of the hood

They don't have bodyguards and fancy homes in fancy neighborhoods

He's the one exploiting the condition of black people fo money

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

"fo" money???

Jesus Christ, WIlltell. That was either the most unfortunate typo ever or it "will tell" the real story of what's going on in your head here.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: sine.nomine
Kanye emphasized 400 years for a reason. They were talking about still being slaves, not past slaves. The United States has only been a country for 242 years. I'm assuming they're referring to the English settlers in Jamestown, which was still only 399 years ago. So yeah, living like a slave is a choice in some ways. Not the most elegant way to put it, but I get what he's saying.

Go back way further . At one point , they were the slaves in Egypt . Maybe that should have read thousands of years ?

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

And this elite GANGSTA rapper who many say contributes to the polluting the minds of young black kids who may be guilty of perpetuating modern mental slavery.

All for dollars

That's what this guy who was trying to tell Kanye. He could do all his tough guy gangsta rapping living in Hollywood with the Kardashians and philosophize all he wants but the young black kids have to go home to poverty and the reality of the hood

They don't have bodyguards and fancy homes in fancy neighborhoods

What the guy said is nothing but victimhood drivel. Kanye was trying to tell them to get out of that mental state that consistently associates black people with slavery. The feeling that they are always oppressed and always will be if they continue the victim mentality. He meant by "choice" in that they don't have to be held down by that concept. It's the freedom of thought that black conservatives are claiming. They are not eternal victims and are not beholden to identity politics. You can see the reaction from the group think mentality that a black person actually supports Trump. This has been happening everywhere since Trump took office.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:10 PM
link   

youre going off the rails, sir, in an attempt to deflect from the original point of YOUR post.

the real topic is: is slavery a choice....yes or no.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Yep, and it was abolished in 1865 after a bloody Civil War. SO, it lasted 89 years in America. Still happening in Africa today.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Many people say Gangsta rap is keeping black people in slavery. What does he say to that? With all the misogyny, saying the n-word and glorifying crime--which he perpetuates and can go be with his 300-pound bodyguards and live in Hollywood while the young black kids he pollutes with that music have to live in the ghetto.

I have friends who are absolutely obsessed with trap music.

Lil Uzi Vert, Post Malone, Lil Peep, Fetty Wap, Future, Kanye, Young Jeezy, etc etc

I’ve never liked rap, but don’t confuse trap with trap music. Much different genres.

These people parading Kanye around as a hero should actually listen to his music. The amount of times these “artists,” speak about thots (if you don’t know what that is... lol), hoes, gangbanging, being a G, being a real nigga, being a tough nigga, not having a job but smoking on president George W. Kush, the “pop pop pop, brrrr pop,” sounds they make when they rap about how “my homies pull up ya block, make that Glock go pop pop pooop,” imitating gunfire - yeah, some truly valuable life lessons about morals and ethics to be found in Kanye’s music.

Remember the thread about Eminem’s new album and how we had one line in one song about how “he’s ashamed to be a white boy?” How “outraged,” everyone was?

What a #ing joke 😂

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Will?

What political party/ideology should Kayne West support?

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Go back way further . At one point , they were the slaves in Egypt . Maybe that should have read thousands of years ?

Exactly. There were slaves in the America's before Jamestown because of the Spanish. Hell, slavery exists literally still today in parts of Africa. Why say you're still slaves while living in a country that freed it's slaves shortly after becoming a country? Those people are choosing slavery.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: tribal

youre going off the rails, sir, in an attempt to deflect from the original point of YOUR post.

the real topic is: is slavery a choice....yes or no.

I don't think that the actual discussion because it was taken out of context, but it will be. This will be used to try to destroy him in the liberal media and the democrat sheeple. He meant modern black people have a choice, that it was not them who went through slavery for "400 years." It's their choice to continue to be in mental slavery as he sees it.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Go ahead, be for Trump, believe that blacks are relying too much on slavery, those are not new ideas.

But forget making yourself some kind of maverick and free-thinking persecuted martyr just because you believe in a very pedestrian philosophy...That’s his ego talking...

He wants to take pride in believing certain things out of the mainstream thinking of AA’s
Fine, but just realize you're also taking sides with the extreme right-wing-- KKK members, alt-righters, Nazis and many others far outside anybody’s mainstream.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
It's just a matter of time until Kanye goes to some Rap show and a stage hand cleans his clock.

You reap what you sow in the entertainment biz.

"If you step out of line, you get the whip" say the people trying to argue against the idea they have willingly placed themselves in mental chains...

Also, WillTell, didn't you once imply poor people of color weren't perceptive enough to reach the same conclusions as you in your enlightened state?

Because they don’t perceive what we see clearly. Its too abstract to them... 

That was your racial condescension or bigotry of low expectations, was it not? No wonder people stay in mental chains when this passes for enlightenment...

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I don't tell people how to think or what to believe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join