It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kanye West Calls Slavery A ‘Choice,’ Gets Schooled On History

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: SKEPTEK

originally posted by: olaru12
It's just a matter of time until Kanye goes to some Rap show and a stage hand cleans his clock.

You reap what you sow in the entertainment biz.

Yeah being a free thinking individual is frowned on in the entertainment biz.

While we're on the topic of the entertainment industry and voluntary slavery, let's compare and contrast.
-The #MeToo movement has certainly exposed a massive trove of actresses, starlets, and child actors who were essentially raped by "massa" in the director's, producer's, or star's chair. -
-Disagreement with the elite liberal position on all things political will see massive damage done to you, now even threats of physical harm AND APPOLOGETICS defending those that would do said harm.
-You don't want to be branded in Hollywood because if you are, you'll forever wear it.
-The workers see minimal fruits of their labors while the bosses and their favored ones see windfalls.
-The entertainment industry is allowed to bend the rules or even block new laws (or in the case of the RIAA, force new, draconian laws through) thanks to the massive amounts of money the massa's give to politicians to keep their rackets legal and going.

Lotta plantations in Hollywood, it seems. Lotta plantations.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:45 PM
link   

It's just a matter of time until Kanye goes to some Rap show and a stage hand cleans his clock.

I personally think Kanye's a talentless clown. I'm just trying to understand why his words would be so dangerous that someone would be compelled to "clean his clock", and someone like you would feel it was justified. I guess the entertainment biz is just as oppressive as the rest of the world, perhaps more so.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

What he said.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   
it doesnt matter if Kanye was talking about slavery then or now. The fact remains that people have a choice about how they react to a situation.

If you deny someone has a choice you are denying their agency.

The far left denies others their agency by putting them into groups rather than treating them as individuals.

Agency and autonomy cannot exist without recognizing the individual as a complete unit.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Schooled? Really??? It's not Kanye that's "not thinking." Let's look at Kanye's entire quote... Granted, Mr. Lathan apparently stopped listening (and thinking) after Kanye's first sentence. But you know better, Willtell.

“When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... for 400 years? That sounds like a choice,” West said.

“Like, you was there for 400 years and it’s all of y’all? It’s like we’re mentally in prison. I like the word ‘prison’ because slavery goes too direct to the idea of blacks. It’s like slavery, Holocaust. Holocaust, Jews. Slavery is blacks. So, prison is something that unites us as one race. Blacks and whites being one race. We’re the human race,” he continued.

What I take away from Kanye's words is that those crying about slavery today were never actual slaves... but they have allowed themselves to still think of themselves as slaves... they have allowed themselves to be just as dependent on government as their forebears were dependent on their masters... but it's a mental prison... a mental prison that many many people are trapped in, such as Jews and the Holocaust. Kanye is saying that this is a people problem, not a racial issue. And more to the point, he's saying don't let other do your thinking and acting for you. Own it!

In the snippet from “TMZ Live,” West is shown asking the entire newsroom: “Do you feel that I’m feeling ... do you feel that I’m being free and I’m thinking free?”

That’s when Lathan hopped up and said he didn’t think West was thinking anything.

“I think what you’re doing right now is actually the absence of thought and the reason why I feel like that is because, Kanye, you’re entitled to your opinion,” said Lathan.

The sportswriter and podcast host then explained what it’s like being a black man when you’re not famous or creatively talented like Kanye West...

Who's the one not thinking? Who's the one who couldn't even wrap their head around -- much less address -- the higher and greater issue? Who's the one falling back on tired old stereotypes? That's not thinking... that's just conditioning.

Kanye is definitely thinking outside the box, but there's no question that he's thinking. Even more important, Kanye is trying to encourage and empower and enable everyone to be their own heroes!!!

Well, they can't unring Kanye's bell. I'm betting some folks are listening and understanding and learning.

Go Kanye!!!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Kanye was known to say and do nutty things in the past.

But the left wingers didn't call him out on it when he was stumping for Hillary in 2016.

I really don't care what he says. I will think for myself, which interestingly enough, is what Kanye is telling people to do now.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Kanye West is finding out who his true friends are, and how stupid some so-called "intelligent" people can be. Welcome back to the REAL world Kanye!

+3 more 
posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Democrats can’t stand when the independent black man tries to leave their plantation. If you don’t support Democrats and refuse to see yourself as a victim you must be put back in your place.

It’s disgusting and passive racism.

edit on 2018/5/1 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Honestly, I don't know what to say about that, I believe it would take a long discussion with him to understand what he really meant by this.

I looked for a transcript to see if there was any other context, but have only found the video of which I cannot watch at the moment.

I'm not sure, being that you haven't discussed this with him, that you have the authority to shout others interpretation down.

Kanye has always seemed in my opinion to be in constant embattlement with himself. From my understanding he has always struggled with differentiating his person and persona. It's sometimes difficult to balance between morality, freedom, and individuality while satiating ones ego, I would imagine.
edit on 5/1/2018 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: samuelsson

Just like you wouldnt have made a thread about kanye about this guy body slamming him to wall if Kanye was D not an R. IMHO.

Works both ways though.
Back when kanya was saying that bush doesn't like black people the right hated him for it but now that he is saying what they want to hear they embrace him....

WTF are you talking about? Everyone criticised Bush over his handling of Katrina and many other things.
*cough*9/11*

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   
That moment when you are put into the position of defending Kanye fing West.

....Yea.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheLead

I looked for a transcript to see if there was any other context, but have only found the video of which I cannot watch at the moment.

There's some context at the Huffington Post link also posted in the OP:

“When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... for 400 years? That sounds like a choice,” West said.

“Like, you was there for 400 years and it’s all of y’all? It’s like we’re mentally in prison. I like the word ‘prison’ because slavery goes too direct to the idea of blacks. It’s like slavery, Holocaust. Holocaust, Jews. Slavery is blacks. So, prison is something that unites us as one race. Blacks and whites being one race. We’re the human race,” he continued. In the snippet from “TMZ Live,” West is shown asking the entire newsroom: “Do you feel that I’m feeling ... do you feel that I’m being free and I’m thinking free?”

That’s when Lathan hopped up and said he didn’t think West was thinking anything.

I hope that helps -- that's all I've found.

ETA: Kanye West Calls Slavery A ‘Choice,’ Gets Schooled On History
edit on 1-5-2018 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The only person not thinking was the triggered guy who got his feelings hurt.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

So a man makes a comment about getting beyond the artificial classifications the powers that be have divided us all into... and is attacked for it? Well, that actually seems predictable and very much is a window into modern society.

God forbid we realize we're all humans, equally failable and equally abled for success... far, far more beneficial to the system to have a large swath of the country totally hung up on their own victimhood, complete with a whole bunch of deflection excuses and scapegoats to blame their failures on. Lathan needs to grow TF up.
edit on 1-5-2018 by burdman30ott6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

There's some context at the Huffington Post link also posted in the OP:

“Like, you was there for 400 years and it’s all of y’all? It’s like we’re mentally in prison. I like the word ‘prison’ because slavery goes too direct to the idea of blacks. It’s like slavery, Holocaust. Holocaust, Jews. Slavery is blacks. So, prison is something that unites us as one race. Blacks and whites being one race. We’re the human race,” he continued. In the snippet from “TMZ Live,” West is shown asking the entire newsroom: “Do you feel that I’m feeling ... do you feel that I’m being free and I’m thinking free?”

I hope that helps -- that's all I've found.

Thank you Bodicea I did see that and did a google search. Is that all that's in the clip as well? I was just wondering what led up to that. Did he just open up with that?

(post by RomeByFire removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: Boadicea

So a man makes a comment about getting beyond the artificial classifications the powers that be have divided us all into... and is attacked for it?

That's sure how I'm seeing it. And obviously you too. And plenty of others.

Well, that actually seems predictable and very much is a window into modern society.

God forbid we realize we're all humans, equally failable and equally abled for success... far, far more beneficial to the system to have a large swath of the country totally hung up on their own victimhood, complete with a whole bunch of deflection excuses and scapegoats to blame their failures on.

That's sure what it seems like the system wants. And fears.

But I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if Kanye "Bush-hates-Black-People" West can see it, there's hope for everyone else too.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

I think that's all TMZ has released... apparently that's all that fit their agenda. Can't say too much and have the mental slaves thinking too much, eh?

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

The way he said it i can see why that is, however it does seem like he is talking about modern times as suggested before, and referencing a continued mentality. Imo

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

I personally think Kanye's a talentless clown. I'm just trying to understand why his words would be so dangerous that someone would be compelled to "clean his clock", and someone like you would feel it was justified. I guess the entertainment biz is just as oppressive as the rest of the world, perhaps more so.

Where did I say it was justified? The entertainment world is just like America; Capitalistic and concerned with profit. And I'm proud to work in the industry. Union proud, Union strong...

www.sagaftra.org...
www.iatse.net...

Besides I didn't create the culture, politics or agenda that has manifested in contemporary America. Just like Kanye....I call it like I see it. I hate rap music and the "artist" that have adopted it... if that offends you....to bad.

edit on 1-5-2018 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join