It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kanye West Calls Slavery A ‘Choice,’ Gets Schooled On History

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: gunshooter

Yes slavery was a choice of settlers to purchase and legally enslave people to use for labor purposes. A rough estimate would say that 98% were white men of European decsent purchasing and enslaving Africans. The slaves were purchased through in an intricate system which included white men, Jewish men, Arab men and African tribes which sold captured enemies to the aforementioned. what I have said is widely accepted historical knowledge.
edit on 2-5-2018 by conspiracy nut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell

originally posted by: tadaman
a reply to: Willtell

Mental slavery IS a choice.

If you, like Kanye, want to get on this philosophical curve-- fine. But even their-- psychological slavery is NOT necessarily voluntary. It depends on the external and internal experience of the person and the philosophical opinions of the individual.

So even on that level you and Kanye are wrong.

If you really want to know what he meant, come try to put shackles on me and make me pick your cotton.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:44 PM
link   

I don't tell people how to think or what to believe.

But you seem to advocate for those who do tell us what to think or believe. You must begin to realize this or you will be their tool for life.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   
this reminds me of the time whites bombed an entire black business district out of jealousy.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: conspiracy nut

just to correct you, it wasnt african tribes that sold slaves it was african muslims

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The full interview is 30 minutes long, but most people just seem to want to pick and choose clips

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   
a reply to: magnetik

i am by no means blaming the victims, but to my understanding african tribes did in fact capture and enslave each other and sell slaves to the europeans. the studies that i saw said that slavery existed in africa and slaves had rights, they did not know how brutal the system of slavery the europeans were using in the new world. i did also read of the arabs that sold african slaves as well.

i would hate to pass on the wrong facts so can you please provide a source explaining your post?

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: magnetik
a reply to: conspiracy nut

just to correct you, it wasnt african tribes that sold slaves it was african muslims

And just to correct you, Africans with traditional religious beliefs sold slaves, they often sold African Muslims, Christians and even Jews as well as folks with non Abrahamic beliefs.
Black Slave Owners:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Go here
edit on 3-5-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

originally posted by: tadaman

Mental slavery IS a choice.

If you, like Kanye, want to get on this philosophical curve-- fine. But even their-- psychological slavery is NOT necessarily voluntary. It depends on the external and internal experience of the person and the philosophical opinions of the individual.

So even on that level you and Kanye are wrong.

If you really want to know what he meant, come try to put shackles on me and make me pick your cotton.

Well no doubt you would make a good go of it at first, but that first lash of hardened leather may make you pliant ,. If you happened to have offsprings then they will be used against you, so you bide your time, and wait for the opportunity to bolt or revolt, a thing that happened often but not talked about or even celebrated, ah mean who want to read about black men raised up and killing slave owning ancestors, suggest reading up on the Stoner rebellion and the war for Florida, also Slaves who teamed up with the British regiments, to escape Slavery or those who made their own community in the wilds away from the slave owning class.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Whites need to stop apologizing for slavery. If blacks enslaved whites, they would never apologize. They'd say - "proves you're inferior."

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 12:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Make Speed Limit 45

Whites need to stop apologizing for slavery. If blacks enslaved whites, they would never apologize. They'd say - "proves you're inferior."

If?? how about writing that they did, and for longer period of time than the Atlantic slave era.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

So the "take down" is someone telling kanye he isnt black enough to truly experience being black.

The reason being given is hes creatively talented.

So to be truly black you can't have creativity or talent?

I call BS.

You have NO understanding of this!

He said NOTHING about being black. He spoke of legitimate social degradation of a group of people because they are black and that is NOT a choice.

social degradation of a group of people because they are black 

That sounds racist. Social degradation "just because they are black"? What is it about black people that you think is "different" that is causing social degradation?

Wtf is that anyway? Society is degrading every where, not just black neighborhoods. Maybe open your eyes and stop thinking in one dimension. The best thing to happen to black people was the Trans-atlantic slave trade. Otherwise where would they be? Wiping with one hand and eating with the other in some African war zone? Unless they were lucky enough to end up somewhere nice like South America. Even then... Yeah, they definitely got a better deal this way.

And if I'm really honest, as a white guy, I'm glad they're here, so, I guess that means I'm glad slavery happened. I couldn't imagine how America would be without the infusion of black people and the unique culture they developed... no jazz? No rap? No black comedians or athletes? No black neighbors, friends, coworkers, passerby to converse with...?

Hell No! I'm sorry, but, if you wanted to go in the past and undo slavery, I would have to destroy the time machine. I love black people too much! I'm not willing to give them up. Even knowing all the suffering that was caused, I'm glad they are here and I bet they agree... their ancestors unwillingly sacrificed so much to get them here and I know it was for a reason.

We are yin and yang, baby. Together forever. It just had to be whites and blacks, didnt it...both ends of the spectrum, intertwined permanantly...

Sorry, if it seems I'm taking a very lax position on a very serious matter. But, if it makes you feel any better, I lived with severe guilt for many years of my life. I just can't do it anymore. I can't pretend like there was nothing good about our people's interactions. I read in Malcolm X's autobiography about white and black people falling in love, back in the 40s and 50s, like they couldn't get enough of each other. That's what I see, when I walk around in real life.

This tension, that rarely comes out in real life, could come from the predicament the black man finds himself in. Imagine how much of a mind screw it would be to realize that your life has been improved by an unimaginable magnitude, thanks to 400 years of your ancestors suffering. Thanks to the white man victimizing your ancestors, you are living like a King compared to most of your African cousins.

I would imagine there must be some kind of form of Survivor's Guilt. You happened to be born during an era of freedom, while your Great grandparents etc., got the short end of the stick. You happened to be born in America during this glorious, hedonistic era, while your cousins are living in a place where 50% of the people have AIDS.

Then, how do you process the fact that the tribal chiefs in Africa sold your ancestors to the white man? And then, Native Americans owned slaves too? So, do you get mad at them too? They were victimized by the whites, too, arguably worse than the blacks were. So, are they our friends or are they in the same category as other Slave Owners?

There is a lot of complicated emotions involved and the only way we are gonna work through this is by working together, and by being Real Honest about things. That means admitting black people benefited from trans Atlantic slavery. In the same way Jews alive today in Isreal, benefited from the Holocaust, by getting their own country.

It doesn't mean it wasn't horrible, and I'm not personally expecting a "thank you" just fyi. As far as I know from the extensive research I've done, my family arrived in what is now Minnesota in about 1860, and had no slaves. So, thanking me would be inappropriate. However, it would be nice if people stopped hating me because of my skin color. Just cause I'm white in America doesn't mean I had anything to do with slavery or white supremacy.

I guarantee you, most of today's Americans descend from immigrants who arrived after slavery was over. Like the whole Ellis Island saga? Remember all them Irish, German, Italian, Jewish etc immigrants and the statue of liberty back in the early 1900s?

And everyone who has arrived since then, as they continue to arrive, people of all backgrounds, every single year for the last 150 years since slavery was abolished. That's a lot of years and a lot of people...

I bet the only significant concentrations of Americans who descended from slave owners and potentially benefited from it, would be found in two groups, The South, obviously, and the Wealthy.

The average white guy walking down the street or sitting in the next cubicle? Probably a 75% chance their ancestors had nothing to do with slavery. First of all, very few people could afford slaves. It was a tiny fraction of the population back then, so now it's even less.
edit on 5/3/2018 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: 3n19m470

The best thing to happen to black people was the Trans-atlantic slave trade. 

No! I do not agree, for one thing it assumed that all Africans lived a certain way, they did not then, and they do not now, we cannot really guess what Africans would be like without the trade in slaves to the Atlantic, some Africans had indoor toilets up stairs using gravity drainage system, the waste was dropped in wells beneath the houses, on pebbles and accompanied by water, and that's west Africa, others in east Africa had indoor plumbing, but that depends on the country and family wealth, also up till the 16th cent A lot of African cities compared favorably to or surpassing those of Europe and even Asia.. see Ibn Batutta a world traveller..and some European merchants making eary contacts before those nations were destroyed buildings burnt, histories forgotten.

Yes America and the world would be different, but in an alternate time line I'd go for no slave trade.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

In a Perfect World, there would be no slave trade, from any Race. And there's been a few.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I had no trouble understanding where this guy was coming from based his recent statements. What I got from this was he'd like to see people toss off the 'poor me' I'm hard done to because 'blah blah blah' 'insert reason here', mentality for everything under the sun, The previous statements may have been based on frustration and feduppery, who knows. I don't know do you know? People behave strange in general, more so when you're in the public eye. People change, some even wake up.

Kudo's to him though for not listening to rap in his home.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:03 AM
link   
a reply to: BotheLumberJack

Ooh c'mon it was a stupid statement without any real thought behind it,his right to say dumb sht???..is a right, just as others including my own to call him on his dumbsht..that's as far as I will take it.
edit on 3-5-2018 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

Ooh c'mon it was a stupid statement without any real thought behind it, is right to say dumb sht???..his a right, just as others including my own to call him on his dumbsht.

In regards to Kanye, I'm not a fan but,Give credit where credit is due. Don't judge him based on his entire history. That's idiotic.

Everyone says dumb # even you.
edit on 3-5-2018 by BotheLumberJack because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

Ooh c'mon it was a stupid statement without any real thought behind it, is right to say dumb sht???..his a right, just as others including my own to call him on his dumbsht.

In regards to Kanye, I'm not a fan but,Give credit where credit is due. Don't judge him based on his entire history. That's idiotic.

I'm not judging him off his entire history, but the dumbsht he has been uttering especially of late.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: BotheLumberJack

I'm not judging him off his entire history, but the dumbsht he has been uttering especially of late.

Ok. I'm not saying to disclude dumb# he's said, but rather than jumping on it, why not wait and see where he's going with this first. That's all.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

kanye is talented at making music , and his music is of course subjective , but he is talented

he made millions from just spittin rhymes , you know how many people can spit rhymes , anyone can do it , but to do it well and become a millionaire requires a modicum or sliver of talent , to be recognised and noticed globally requires talent

Genius ! No kanye is not a a genius

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15 >>

join