It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ukraine again pushing for entry in NATO?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Could just be a slow news day, but this could be an interesting move in the non-stop chess game with Putin.

With confirmed EW activity in Syria by Russia on smaller U.S. Drones and communication links in 130s, accepting the Ukraine into NATO would be a admirable counter-move by President Trump. It would effectively stymie Russian efforts in eastern Ukraine. Perhaps even Georgia as well.

The Link states efforts were restarted in 2014 by Ukrainian Officials. The timing of this hitting a website is interesting as well. With Israel getting nervous with Russian missiles near the border with Syria, this potential move could tighten things up even more.

Another site stated some EU nations were pushing to drop sanctions on Russia. This would 'counter pressure' on those nations as well.

Personally, I'm fine with the Ukraine entering NATO, especially if we'd make room for them by dumping Turkey.

www.youtube.com...

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

Dropping Turkey would be ideal, they're out of their mind crazy lately.

Sure, bring in Ukraine, lets see how far we can push crazy..

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cygnis
a reply to: nwtrucker

Dropping Turkey would be ideal, they're out of their mind crazy lately.

Sure, bring in Ukraine, lets see how far we can push crazy..

On the surface, perhaps it looks crazy. On the other hand, it would put the onus on NATO member states to defend the Ukraine from Russian re-expansion, not just the U.S..

More pressure on Russia and Europe, less pressure and potential expense on the U.S..

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Ukraine is a step too far. Russia will never accept it. Expect half of Ukraine to go up in flames and split from the west if this happens.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Does the NATO really need Bandera-Nazis and ultrahardcore rightwingers?
Ok, fits into a terror alliance. And otherwise the west wouldn´t fund and support these neonazis.
It seems they need and want neonazis, ultra extreme rightwingers in their unholy anglo-american ruled alliance, obvisiously!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It's never gonna happen. When they applied back in 2008 they still had a long way to go to meet NATO's requirements. The current civil war has set them back decades.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
It's never gonna happen. When they applied back in 2008 they still had a long way to go to meet NATO's requirements. The current civil war has set them back decades.

Exactly. Russia has created a situation in eastern Ukraine like it did in Georgia to create a frozen conflict, Moldova too. This makes it impossible for NATO to colonise Ukraine.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It's not so much an accepting thing as it is tricking Ukraine into the NATO.
Containing Russia's expansionism.
(Which is Americas number one strategy).

Smooth move in trying to make it look like the NATO will accept Ukraine. In stead of honesty ... you Americans allways are a bunch of #ing liers.
Why is that?
You think you're welcome to lie about everything?
You think we don't get it?

Why don't you keep Ukraine indepentend or give it to Putin?
What's with the....we Americans controle the world deal?
We didn't agree to that!!!

Stay in America if you love your country.
Leave the rest of the world in peace.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Daalder

I agree we need to stay out of world affairs, however, there are morons over here that see Russians under every rock. They are convinced they lost elections because of Russians instead of bad ideas and poor candidates.

As long as the US has these anti-Russian nutters they are going to push for this kind of stick it to Russia foreign policy.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Oh boy, if Trump denuclearizes North Korea AND gets Ukraine into NATO, then I'm buying a one-way ticket on the Trump train and I'll forgive all the stupid things. And I'll laugh if he gets the Nobel and liberals everywhere loose their #.

Of course NK alone would be great, and putting Ukraine in NATO might be a problem when it comes to the peace price. And I don't think he even wants Ukraine in NATO. But it would be nice.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:05 PM
link   

You know we Americans cannot allow other countries to self govern. Stop bring common sense into conversations. Sheesh

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Ukraine or not, I appreciate where you're coming from, I really do, but staying out of world affairs is not an option for a superpower. It's do or do not, and if not then someone else will do it.

But yeah... if they end up nuking the whole world, I'll admit I was wrong then and you were right

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

You know we Americans cannot allow other countries to self govern. Stop bring common sense into conversations. Sheesh
Lad they have to bomb if there was peace?

Who would Democrats have to blame for their losses if not Russians? Who would they have to bomb if there was peace?

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I agree we need to stay out of world affairs, however, there are morons over here that see Russians under every rock. They are convinced they lost elections because of Russians instead of bad ideas and poor candidates.

As long as the US has these anti-Russian nutters they are going to push for this kind of stick it to Russia foreign policy.

Really? I knew there'd be those some who'd use the usual shill-like rhetoric, but I didn't expect you to support 'Russian foreign policy'. and it's re-expansionism without consequence.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

What??? I figured you would know this one. It is a simple answer lol

CANADA Duh

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter
Ukraine is a step too far. Russia will never accept it. Expect half of Ukraine to go up in flames and split from the west if this happens.

I highly doubt that. Russia knows it would get smoked by NATO, at least militarily. Looks to me, though, that Euros 'spine' has be removed by EU leadership. I have yet to meet a Ukrainian that wants to go back to the good old days of the Russian empire.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Am I willing to send my sons to die in Crimea or on the Caspian on behalf of the Ukraine? No. I don't see a vital national interest there worth American blood at this time or in the foreseeable future. So I am against expansion of NATO to include the Ukraine.
That could conceivably change if events develop, but I'd much prefer to make that determination on a case-by-case basis than tie that decision to a piece of paper compelling engagement.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: RadioRobert
Am I willing to send my sons to die in Crimea or on the Caspian on behalf of the Ukraine? No. I don't see a vital national interest there worth American blood at this time or in the foreseeable future. So I am against expansion of NATO to include the Ukraine.
That could conceivably change if events develop, but I'd much prefer to make that determination on a case-by-case basis than tie that decision to a piece of paper compelling engagement.

Then what's the point of having a NATO, at all?

Might as well leave those Euros to their unending games and get out of NATO all together. Screw 'em.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I think the point of NATO was to ensure the common defense of the member nations, not to continually add members willy-nilly through world-wide expansion. Perhaps you have a different view.

I would honour current treaty obligations while avoiding further entanglement in more foreign alliances. Are there any countries you are hesitant to pledge American blood for, or is a country's presence on the European continent sufficient cause to demand waging war on their behalves?

Not all of Europe falls under the NATO umbrella as signatories. Nor do all the signatories fulfill their treaty obligations, nor is NATO a monolith. The EU seems increasingly happy to chart its own path anyway. Perhaps a contraction of obligations would be welcome by many countries involved.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Well it would be a great way to snip off Russia and pay them back for electing the current prez.

DOH!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join