It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Joys of Being Ambidextrous

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It's not something I think about often, just the way things are to me. Pretty sure I was born left handed but I was taught to be right handed. If startled my stance automatically goes southpaw. So instinct has me a leftie I believe. Dad was left handed. IDK if being "handed" is a genetic predisposition or not but there might be something to it.

It's great. If there's a task in front of me I can accomplish it quicker than if I just used one hand. Secondly there's an access aspect to it. Ever work on your car and have to twist yourself into knots to reach that bolt? Pull that right hand back and easily get at it with the left. I love that.

I can't do everything with my left. Like writing. Then again my right couldn't either until it was trained to. That's pretty much it though. It's a beauty not having a "dumb hand".

That's about it. Slow morning I guess.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I am naturally right-handed, but have trained myself to be at least partly ambidextrous. My left hand is still the dumb one, but I get better use of it now.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Me too but I'm left dominant so I think I was just forced into it. I can write with both. I used a ten key calculator with amazing speed with my right. I golf both left and right and when I attempt to play softball I bat both. The world is designed around a dominant right hand . Even the shape of a phone handle which of course no one has anymore anyway. Scissors and can openers are my enimies.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   

My baby sister is natural ambidextrous. Always was.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Absolutely possible because as a lefty I had to learn to use my right .

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
My father was ambidextrous. He could write with both hands. He was a lefty naturally though.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
My father was ambidextrous. He could write with both hands. He was a lefty naturally though.

So you could say he edumakated his right hand then.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

You've seen my posts. . . I can't write with either hand.

What is truly scary is my youngest child.

He was practicing his piano lessons the other day and called me into the room.

"Hey Dad! I learned a new trick!" He said.

He played a few lines of a classical piece he was learning for a recital.

Then he crossed his arms over each other and played the same piece.

I slowly backed out of the room because it was then that I realized that this child was far superior to me in every way.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I've seen you smoke and drink with both hands making you truly talented.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

I probably shouldn't admit this... my three year old has been beating me in the card game memory. I mean legitimately beating me. All the card are turned upside down and then you have to guess / locate the matching pairs.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

It's great. If there's a task in front of me I can accomplish it quicker than if I just used one hand. Secondly there's an access aspect to it. Ever work on your car and have to twist yourself into knots to reach that bolt? Pull that right hand back and easily get at it with the left. I love that.

Yes, being left handed does have it's advantages in that we are forced to be ambidextrous. But I have often said god messed up in designing humans by not giving us 3 hands. I often work alone and a 3'rd articulating appendage with an opposing thumb sure would be nice on certain occasions.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I've seen you smoke and drink with both hands making you truly talented.

While eating a cheese pizza.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Wait, I thought that was what you were drinking.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: DBCowboy

I probably shouldn't admit this... my three year old has been beating me in the card game memory. I mean legitimately beating me. All the card are turned upside down and then you have to guess / locate the matching pairs.

Spooky, isn't it.

I had my wife watch our son play he piano like he did for me.

I asked her if I should start beating him or something and she said, "It's too late. We're doomed."

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Wait, I thought that was what you were drinking.

I use pizza the same way others use a nicotine patch.

It's the only way I can get through mid morning until lunch.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Not sure if I'm considered ambidextrous or not, but I eat and write left handed, and everything else I do right handed. My left arm is my stronger one though.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Glad you made this thread.
People don't believe me when I tell them I taught myself to be ambidextrous. They assume you have to be born that way.
My mother was born left handed I was born right handed. In my life I have had to learn how to function in a home set up for left handed people. Even still today I can't use a mouse with my right hand. Also I wanted to connect with my mom so I made sure to try and use my left hand as much as my right while growing up.

Today while I can't write very well with my left there are things that I can do just as well with it like throwing a ball, using a mouse, and a even catch better with my left than with my right.

I'm also a great masseuse because I have equal strength and dexterity in both hands.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:02 AM
link   
wow, I can't believe there are so many ats members like this!

I have never even met a person in my real life that taught themselves to use both hands equally.

I guess ats just attracts a curtain kind of person.
Those willing to improve themselves in different ways.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I am also left-handed and can write with both hands.My
right-handed writing looks like it was written by a 2nd
grader though.I do ALL of my typing with my left index
finger.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I was born a rightie, but taught myself to be a leftie. Right side is my strong side, but left side is my finesse side.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join