It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandella effect, "play it again Sam"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:25 PM
link   
So just watching Casablanca and I expecting to hear that iconic line, it didn't get said.
Watched it again and Bogart didn't say "play it again Sam" anywhere, has the film been doctored, am I confused, was it ever said in that movie
Are our memories just subject to assumption

This mandella effect, why are we still talking about it, it's tinfoil hat stuff

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:27 PM
link   
No, it's a well known "unquote" -- it never appeared in the movie, no one ever says that it did, there's just an assumption that it did. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   
He never said that. I'm pretty sure this is one of the most misremembered lines of all times actually.

edit on -05:002018Tue, 01 May 2018 00:04:52 -050031America/Chicago000000Tue, 01 May 2018 00:04:52 -0500TueAmerica/ChicagoMay by PorteurDeMort because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen
No, it's a well known "unquote" -- it never appeared in the movie, no one ever says that it did, there's just an assumption that it did. en.wikipedia.org...

Yeah I think that was my point
This mandella effect is based on poor memories as opposed to a multiverse or whatever
Mandella effect is not much different to flat earthers

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Probably didn't help when Woody Allen used the misquote as the title of a film whose concept relies on the original. I imagine there's some crossover there.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
He never said that. I'm pretty sure this is one of the most misremembered lines of all times actually.

Yep, right up there with "Houston, we have a problem".

It's hardly a secret - just watch the film, it's been available for decades and the line has always been the same. In fact watch it anyway, it's one of the best ever made.

Seriously people, just accept that your memory is faulty sometimes.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Yes, we've discussed this before. It never existed until Pop Culture misquoted it.

From Memory, he actually says....."You can play it for her, you can play it for me, Play It !!."

or something similar.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

originally posted by: adjensen

Yeah I think that was my point
This mandella effect is based on poor memories as opposed to a multiverse or whatever
Mandella effect is not much different to flat earthers

Exactly. The whole Mandela thing isn’t nothing but a rationalization for shoddy memory. The line that so many attribute to Bogart’s character was actually said by Ingrid Bergman’s Ilsa

Ilsa: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.
Sam: I don't know what you mean, Miss Ilsa.
Ilsa: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."
Sam: Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Ilsa. I'm a little rusty on it.
Ilsa: I'll hum it for you

top topics

join