It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MAJOR Lottery winners -to stay anonymous - what's the deal with this? State pockets winnings?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I would think the first thing a lottery grand prize winner should do is hire an attorney, financial planner and an accountant for advice or dump it into 10 year or 30 year federal bonds for safe keeping. A bank savings account or 401k is not a good choice, IMO. Anonymity through a Trust or by incorporating is also a good route to take.
edit on 30-4-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof

I think i remeber hearing a conversation about a book where the plot was that the state or some group had a lottery, then they would contact a person and say 'Now listen we will give you half a million dollars to pretend you bought a ticket and won the 100 million dollar lottery"

Its a win win, the "winner" gets a guaranteed half a mil, the people running the lottery get to keep a much bigger percentage of ticket sales than they elsewhise would have.

I think in this book the "winner" outs this scheme to try to bget more money, and then the state or whatever tries to kill him.

I think its farfetched, but it seems like a fun story. But who knows it could happen.

I do know that there are laws on the books based off of a raffle scheme that use to be common when our country was very young.

A group would go around and sale chances to win a cow or horse or some other animal.

Then they would go to the winner and apologize that the animal had died, but refund the winners money or even give them a small consolation with their refund.

Only problem was this was a scam, the sellers keep all of the money and do not have to give the winner the prize, and because the winner gets their money back they dont really raise a stink.

There were actual laws passed in the US focusing on this.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I recall and old scifi show Sliders episode where there was a lotto and the winners were killed as a form of population control. The winner would get like a few weeks to live it up with the money and then killed.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Big money draws the big crooks. Need I say more?

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Oh and those relatives or friends who have never contacted me in decades..... carry-on

In that very rare, oh so very special case, I'd give them their share on the end of a double barrel shotgun. My treatment by my family is literally deplorable- and has even persisted 32 years on, in various forms that I found out about a few years back.

This is one of 2 really rare cases I would happily and gleefully enact the 2nd Amendment.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Plotus
Oh and those relatives or friends who have never contacted me in decades..... carry-on . I have a couple friends I would go visit and set them up retired and ready for a life of leisure.

Even worse are the begging letters. If you think that chuggers or the bludgers that ask you for cash at 9pm at night when you are walking down to and from the newsagents are bad, these are a thousand times worse. Sob stories about how some poor relative only has months to live and that a small donation would go a long long way. You don't know if those stories are true or false but there are tens of thousands of them.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:11 PM
link   

If I ever win the lottery or make a few million off a book deal or whatever, the first thing I plan to do is split it up between my friends and family.

If I win half a billion dollars I will hold interviews and give it away, a million at a time, to people that I think deserve it.

I promise I will let ats now first thing so you guys can get into those interviews.

edit on 30-4-2018 by scraedtosleep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I loved sliders!

Wish they would bring that show back.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Hubby and I have discussed this at length, and a trust is the only way to go. And if I understand them well enough, a living irrevocable trust is the optimal choice to live out our lives on without going broke in a NY minute, and then dole out the rest in reasonable chunks to the (then adult) kids after we kick it.

I have an uncle who hit the lotto in his New England state. A cool several million.

He blew it in under a year, and had the gall to hit up my grandmother for money immediately. That sure didn't make her feel sorry for him pissing it away on McMansions & collector cars that he ended up losing anyway. She never expected any money from him when he won, nor did she ask (surprisingly, no one in the family held their hand out. he's a bit bats#, so that's probably why) But it still irked her to no avail that he didn't plan the rest of his life out with it instead. He opted for instant gratification with luxury items that got repo'd.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I remember someone in my general area won but the story in the paper was that the person didn't claim it....but they had surveillance from the store which showed him returning several times and scanning the ticket....they were trying to identify him.....

what about the tv show my lottery dream home....most of these people won several mil on a scratcher game...but one guy won about 20 mil in the big lotto.......they are on tv we see them hear their names...and we know the house they purchase!!!! I would NEVER do that

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:20 AM
link   

I'd welcome them all with masks.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:32 AM
link   
If it can happen, it will happen.

en.wikipedia.org...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_Pennsylvania_Lottery_scandal

Work of the Devil...

edit on 1-5-2018 by FlyingFox because: eta

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I've only ever bought one lottery ticket.
I spent a buck and won 24.
I am 23 bucks richer and leave it at that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join