Hundreds of thousands of anti-Government protesters about new security law halt Hong Kong

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Just look at it, so many people getting pissed, about
all this laws, being accepted without asking anybody...
Time for revolution will come soon, just give it time, for now just watch:


MORE than five times the expected number of demonstrators thronged the streets of Hong Kong yesterday to protest against a stringent new security law.
According to the organisers estimates, hundreds of thousands joined protests lasting more than 12 hours which brought the former British territory to a standstill on the sixth anniversary of the handover to China.

Return rule to the people, the demonstrators chanted in response to the proposed new law, known as Article 23, which will allow the Hong Kong Government to outlaw local groups with ties to any organisation banned on the mainland. It will also give police the power to conduct searches without a warrant and impose a ban on disclosing state secrets.

The Hong Kong Government and pro-Beijing legislators will move next week to enact the new law on civil liberties, which many fear could be used against political opponents.


Rest of the article:
www.timesonline.co.uk...




posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Well, China is tightening its grip over Hong Kong.



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 06:19 AM
link   
And you think the US is bad.....China hasn't even opened the can-o-whoopazz yet. Wait and see.
They are just waiting their time......


regards
seekerof



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
And you think the US is bad.....China hasn't even opened the can-o-whoopazz yet. Wait and see.
They are just waiting their time......


regards
seekerof


I think the entire globe is bad, not just america, or china, but yes, basiclly china has 1000 mill angry people, poor, and with nothing too loose, not even all the army would stop the population waking up, they have to stop this insanity as everyone must do in his own place, we must try to say "We are sick and tired of the lies, the time for payback has arrived".
Is just the beginning of the anti-nwo and the nwo supporters...



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I agree.
Exactly how to enact such a world or national happening will involve far more than throwing stones and standing in the streets though CA. Many might not want to admit that, but its reality.

I think sometimes, and I'm not pointing you out CA, people tend to see things more than others. But to say that those others don't entirely see the same or see it, is a little presumptous sometimes. Many see these things CA, but are either happy with how things are, or are scared that they choose to not do anything to change it, some see no way to change it, etc.

I feel your anger sometimes and I see justification in it, but not in its entirety. You seem to have alot of knowledge and inner-strength and will, but this is a huge hurdle and its a hurdle big enough that many upon many choose to just except the hurdle as it is.....an almost unbreakable wall that can neither be climbed or broke through. I pray that one day, this will be proven wrong, but till that day, your task is almost equal to waking the slumbering giant with a feather.

Your drive is admirable, though many will consider it madness, it is, after all, their opinion, as mine is.


"Fight the good fight"

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 3-7-2003 by Seekerof]



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I dont like the part about "given the power to search premises without a warrant" that is not really fair
Your home is your privacy.



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I often wonder what China is waiting for. I know that the government there considers Hong Kong to be rightfully theirs.(Among many other places.) Yet they don't bother fighting for it. If I lived there I would be in constant fear of invading Chinese forces. It is very true that China is oppressive and powerful. The forces of China could probably over run Hong Kong within minutes. I think that the only thing stopping them is big business and politics. If Hong Kong wasn't so important to the rest of the world then I think that the land would have been taken years ago. Does anyone have some insight into what is stopping them???

I mean lets face it, they took Tibet, and did so in a ruthless fashion. It would seem to me that in doing so that they would have reaped their own demise due to the backlash of the rest of the world. For it is well known that Tibet is no home to war-like peoples, unlike most places. So since they got away with that, why can't they get away from this possible scenario???

Anyone have any ideas?



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I think it basically what you said AV: money and politics; with a helping of calculation. You have to remember, the "Art of War", by Sun Tzu, originated there. If anyone don't think that the philosophies of that book are not, indeed, being used by China today, welp, time will tell. But Sun Tzu outlined many ways to defeat an enemy, a army, and a nation without bloodshed, war, etc.

regards
seekerof



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Yep China doesnt want to ruin H.K economically cos H.K iss good for China ,but they are ruioning H.K in adifferent way by keeping Tung Chee Hwa as Chief Executive and with this article 23 nonsense it might just get worse.



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:31 AM
link   
It should be 500,000 people who attended the march, but as always HK goverment said it's only around 300,000.

It's the largest march since the crack down of June 4th.



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
I agree.
Exactly how to enact such a world or national happening will involve far more than throwing stones and standing in the streets though CA. Many might not want to admit that, but its reality.

I think sometimes, and I'm not pointing you out CA, people tend to see things more than others. But to say that those others don't entirely see the same or see it, is a little presumptous sometimes. Many see these things CA, but are either happy with how things are, or are scared that they choose to not do anything to change it, some see no way to change it, etc.

I feel your anger sometimes and I see justification in it, but not in its entirety. You seem to have alot of knowledge and inner-strength and will, but this is a huge hurdle and its a hurdle big enough that many upon many choose to just except the hurdle as it is.....an almost unbreakable wall that can neither be climbed or broke through. I pray that one day, this will be proven wrong, but till that day, your task is almost equal to waking the slumbering giant with a feather.

Your drive is admirable, though many will consider it madness, it is, after all, their opinion, as mine is.


"Fight the good fight"

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 3-7-2003 by Seekerof]


thx mate, but dont forget that my anger is not self-produce, is a consecuence of the world we live in, as far as my knowledge goes, there is a reponsable, a he has to pay, is not a question of being aggresive, is not that i am crazy, is just that WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH, really just that, sometimes it sounds to brutal what i say, maybe i use to talk to direct, and use the words for it without covering the "thing" at least a bit...

I hope u still seeking the logic of all logicas, but for that u know that first u must know the Truth about this world, the authentical truth , the one that talks by itself, u dont need to talk about it, u live in it, and u see it daily, find the pattern and welcome to the logica of the elitists....

Is sad isnt?



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Thats the whole point of 'seeking'...to find the truth; whatever form it may take.

Nah! Your doing what you feel is 'right' and for a justly cause. There is nothing wrong with it nor unjustly about it. Be proud and speak it! Your doing it and I find it admirable; if anything it is deserving of respect mate!! Bet on it.

As I mentioned, though in other words, your 'directness' is a result of Who You Are; its your 'drive'; its your motivation....your 'We Have Had Enough' is the emotion that moves it all. I think in short, mate, we all 'see' what your are saying but some 'see' it differently or at a different angle, or maybe not at all. 20/20 is something we all do not share, if you get my meaning.

regards
seekerof



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Thats the whole point of 'seeking'...to find the truth; whatever form it may take.

Nah! Your doing what you feel is 'right' and for a justly cause. There is nothing wrong with it nor unjustly about it. Be proud and speak it! Your doing it and I find it admirable; if anything it is deserving of respect mate!! Bet on it.

As I mentioned, though in other words, your 'directness' is a result of Who You Are; its your 'drive'; its your motivation....your 'We Have Had Enough' is the emotion that moves it all. I think in short, mate, we all 'see' what your are saying but some 'see' it differently or at a different angle, or maybe not at all. 20/20 is something we all do not share, if you get my meaning.

regards
seekerof


I think i am a bit extremist because we are running out of time, and the problem of seeking the truth is that u will know that there is no time left, they will finish the agenda soon, and this world is drenched of ignorance.
If we dont act soon it will be too late...



posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by damefool
It should be 500,000 people who attended the march, but as always HK goverment said it's only around 300,000.

It's the largest march since the crack down of June 4th.

Yep forgot that point too, you are right Dame.



posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 03:33 AM
link   
The South China Post agve it as over 350,000 - a lot, anyway and the biggest since the Tiananmen protests after the Beijing masacres. Not reported on mainland TV.
The law will go through and some insist that it isn't draconian. Time will tell; but I tend to hesitate before I denounce the Chinese when I recall the powers some Western governments have slowly but surely assumed in the name of homeland security.
Much of the HK trouble is economic unrest: SARS hit it badly and the mainland is rapidly outstripping HK.
Oddly enough, almost the next day a package of measures to help HK trade more equitably with the mainland was announced.
It IS a part of China: no maybe's or one day's.
The People's army is there but very low key and usually in civilian dress outside the barracks. It is run almost as a separate country but it remains under the rule of Beijing.



posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 04:30 AM
link   
The government may have to postpone the passage of its controversial national security legislation after a key legislative ally said yesterday it favoured a delay until December.

Chief Executive Tung Chee-hwa addressed the media yesterday at the Central Government Offices. He reassured that Article 23 would not affect the freedoms and the rights of Hong Kong people.

Some of Hong Kong's best-known former officials yesterday joined a chorus of calls for the government to defer enactment of the national security laws, citing the need for public consultation.



posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 05:20 AM
link   
story.news.yahoo.com.../nm/20030705/ts_nm/hongkong_dc


Well looking at what this article has to say, it seems as if some of the measures have been dropped. Score one for freedom. Cause today the protesters actually changed something, for once.



posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
+Certainly, it now appears that changes will be made-at least in the short term; but this is Chinese politics and I rather suspect that someone has just given Tung ( a Deng stooge through and through) a fairly large length of rope with written instructions attached.

PS if anyone wants info on the PRC and HK - U2U me with specific questions. I've only just done a year in the PRC but I've known HK on and off pretty well for 13 years.



posted on Jul, 5 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Abraham Virtue
I often wonder what China is waiting for. I know that the government there considers Hong Kong to be rightfully theirs
I mean lets face it, they took Tibet, and did so in a ruthless fashion. It would seem to me that in doing so that they would have reaped their own demise due to the backlash of the rest of the world. For it is well known that Tibet is no home to war-like peoples, unlike most places. So since they got away with that, why can't they get away from this possible scenario???

Anyone have any ideas?

=========================================

there culture has infinite patience, unlike western civilization that requires instant gratification.
Tibet held no economic interests for the west and we do not respect or have much of a culture, so why care about Tibet [strictly from a political point of view not personal, I have great respect for Tibet]
they, the Chinese, are waiting patiently for western forces to be spread so thin that no respnse to their actions could be mustered. the time is approaching.

tut tut



posted on Jul, 14 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Now Article 23 is being held back cos the ppl are protesting once a week.





top topics
 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join