It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome new hologram generator shown off at tech convention

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Most of the music is really dreadful though.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whatsthisthen

Most of the music is really dreadful though.

I like it myself. lol.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

There are a few songs I listen to, like the one in the clip. The opening to "Black Rock Shooter" and another she did at the concert in the clip. Even bought the CD.

My grown up kids would chuck a fit if I bought a figurine and put it on my computer case. "Otaku" is apparently a dirty word.

Miku is cute as hell anyways.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: SummerRain

Pretty sic

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 06:31 AM
link   
a reply to: notsure1

really deceptive , as its not a hologram but a projection of LED strips that form a 3d shape when rotated at speed

I wish the industry would stop CLICK baiting everyone with these "hologram" tech fakes

they are trying it with microsoft holo lens , there is no holographic projection its just augmented reality

no holographic plates are used to project the holograms

I think this tech in the video is amazing , but its not new and its not a true hologram!

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 06:58 AM
link   
LOL! what a joke.
Thats NOT 3D its a image turning.
ALL TVs can do that.....

I will give you a secret to how to do it!
but it only works for one person.
the camera monitors you as you move.
so it makes the image move the opposite way.

or take lots of drugs!
and you Thing its doing it.
or wire the brain up the same as drugs!

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

It's called a persistence of vision display... There's tutorials on how to home brew your own on hackaday.

They're pretty neat in a way, and I wonder if they might not have some really interesting fringe applications, but they're kinda a commercial dead end because they require movement.

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: sapien82

Actually the Hololens is called the Hololens because it uses a triple layer of holographic optical elements (a red a green and a blue layer specifically) inside each lenses that still allow a very large percentage of outside light to get through.

So... Umm... No Microsoft isn't using false advertising, you just made assumptions that weren't true.

What they're selling is indeed an optically transparent holographic display.
edit on 4-5-2018 by roguetechie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2018 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: roguetechie

Hackaday is a fun site!

I like the "what can be salvaged" articles. You know, go to the box home store, see what is on sale that has cool tech, take it home and repurpose that tech for something else.

That metamaterial might even be better at making full color, 3D, moving (not rotating in 2D), 360 degree viewable, holograms. Time will tell. That Leia Display is kind of cool but needs a mist of particles. Still, it is kind of fun watching this unfold.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

I agree, it's insanely fun to watch how fast things are progressing, especially now that you can prototype very sophisticated high end electronics shockingly economically.

Especially since component makers are starting to push limits on their own without having an OEM pay to develop the next generation of chips sensors and etc because they can actually make enough money going privateer and selling direct to anyone who wants one of whatever.

That alone will push the velocity of things forward even more as OEM's are less and less able to sole source the latest everything and effectively force anyone who wants the latest and greatest components to buy their stuff just to get the components inside.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 07:38 AM
link   

I am still skeptical about it! they say iut uses holograpgic lenses , but a hologram is a reproduced image by capturing the light photons on a holographic plate,

what is happening here is they are projecting images through different lenses to create the hologram in front of you

but its not a true hologram in that sense , as the images are not stored on the lenses simply projected through them

as far as I was aware a hologram is the image of the light field stored on a holographic plate!

hololens still relies on projecting images through intermediate optics!

as the description from wiki shows

Holography is the science and practice of making holograms. Typically, a hologram is a photographic recording of a light field, rather than of an image formed by a lens, and it is used to display a fully three-dimensional image of the holographed subject, which is seen without the aid of special glasses or other intermediate optics. The hologram itself is not an image and it is usually unintelligible when viewed under diffuse ambient light. It is an encoding of the light field as an interference pattern of seemingly random variations in the opacity, density, or surface profile of the photographic medium.

In the case of hololens, we are using special glasses " intermediate optics" to view the holographic images which are simply projections , but not of holographic medium !

I think its just a bit of technical wizardy which is amazing , but still doesnt really make them 100% holograms
as they are projections using lenses.

and this part which kind of makes sense as it explains why they dont use real holograms as they require high powered lazers
and have to then rely on intermediate optics

In its pure form, holography requires the use of laser light for illuminating the subject and for viewing the finished hologram. In a side-by-side comparison under optimal conditions, a holographic image is visually indistinguishable from the actual subject. A microscopic level of detail throughout the recorded volume of space can be reproduced. In common practice, however, major image quality compromises are made to eliminate the need for laser illumination when viewing the hologram, and sometimes, to the extent possible, also when making it. Holographic portraiture often resorts to a non-holographic intermediate imaging procedure, to avoid the hazardous high-powered pulsed lasers otherwise needed to optically "freeze" living subjects as perfectly as the extremely motion-intolerant holographic recording process requires. Holograms can now also be entirely computer-generated to show objects or scenes that never existed.

posted on May, 15 2018 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Hololens specifically uses a three layer system of holographic optical elements like the ones described here.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

If you read this wiki it sort of gives you a good start to understanding this.

Things like adaptive optics DLP 3d printers LIDAR and a bunch of other technologies use this form of holography, and almost all of the applications pre Hololens were nonconsumer based which makes it much less likely that holographic was used as a buzzword for one...

But also, what you inadvertently defined was a hologram rather than holography or holographic systems. Holograms and holographic technology do have some crossover obviously, but they are far from the same things.

What you're thinking of as a holographic display is more properly called a volumetric display. (Aka it builds a real 3 dimensional image from light)

Does that make sense?

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Cool thanks I will check that out , I guess I was just a bit meh when they never replied to me about the details as I couldnt see why it was called hololens when there appeared to be no holographic projection, but that was before they released further details
,thanks for providing that link , I understand what its doing now

Cheers Rogue !

posted on May, 16 2018 @ 04:36 PM
link   

No problem, my reaction to Hololens was the same at first too until i read about Holographic Optical Elements (best acronym ever though, we picked up some really high end HOEs for the new product line!)

And persistence of vision displays are just kinda crazy too. Deceptively simple, but could actually be a really interesting fit in niche applications.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join