It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Awesome new hologram generator shown off at tech convention

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter
a reply to: notsure1

Try to touch it

The technology is very simple it´s basically this on steroids:

This is from 2007.

It´s "just" a faster, higher resolution solution but impressing nonetheless

Thanks for posting this... this is all I could think about but was too lazy to find it and post.

Though cool, why is this breaking edge...? It’s old tech. I’m not saying I could do it, but there’s much better already out there. Like M. Jackson on stage after his death performing lol

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Or the amount of birds going splat and chop chop as they try to land on the hologram.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: GraffikPleasure

...Though cool, why is this breaking edge...? It’s old tech. I’m not saying I could do it, but there’s much better already out there...

Maybe it´s a special kind of LED-strip that has a very high diode count per mm. It´s really high resolution as you can see and you need to drive every single LED, that´s a truckload of outputs to manage I guess. Then it´s rotating so I don´t think they are using sliprings except maybe for +/- to drive the microcontroller(s) and the strip.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
a reply to: rickymouse

Or the amount of birds going splat and chop chop as they try to land on the hologram.

I never even thought of that. What will technology like that do to the birds, in fact even the bees and other life in the world. I wonder how much power it takes to generate the hologram?

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Ye, this stuff has been around for a bit. Doesn''t solve large scale, still, cool nonetheless.

They just use lots of smaller spinning fans for large scale.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Reminds me of the first “Blade Runner” movie with the giant 3D ads.

I couldn’t help but notice it was all about money and marketing.

Cool thingy though.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:01 AM
link   
sure... except its not a hologram... its a spinning LED array... funny how much parlour tricks impress people when it shows them what they want to see.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Wow! That is amazing!

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:50 AM
link   
cool stuff, did she make a plane then?....cos I heard that 9/11 used holograms

edit on 30-4-2018 by UpIsNowDown because: typo

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Why does it have to spin??

Cool stuff and this is only the start!! More is coming. And even better!!

Because the single rotating bar actually contains a strip of LED's. Using a microcontroller, they synchronize the flashing of these LED's to match the position of the bar to create a virtual circular screen. Then some video codec software will convert a regular movie frame into the correct signals to the LED's. To get 3D video, they would have to generate two sets of images each for the left and right eyes of the observer. That wouldn't be too difficult with polarized glasses.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I can't freaking wait until there is a serious breakthrough in mass produced holograms.

I think your typical monitor or screen will always have a place, actually, but the evolution of the way we interface with technology is going to be so cool to watch.

I suspect holograms might only be an interim tech as well, which will give way to more.. "direct" interfaces. Just like monitors though, I think they will all have their place.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Thanks!!

Uh, didn’t think of that so thanks.

But wondering why they need to rotate. Because most of the time everything stays put. Rotation seems important so wondering why!

My personal feeling is that everything rotates and you cannot get around it. And that the statement is not really true because it is rotating.

Then again, old and lame, and trying to swim with the fishes!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarPig1939
Coming to a billboard near you
I can't wait to see this tech all over the world. We are finally starting to see real futurist technology in our lifetime.

Strippers can use this to safely strip from home!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:20 PM
link   

"Because it is not made of metal, it won't melt, which can be a problem for some applications," he said. "It has subwavelength control, which gives you more freedom and versatility. It is also possible to reconfigure how the metamaterial affects incoming waves extremely quickly, which has our group planning to explore using it for dynamic holography."

phys.org - Metal-free metamaterial can be swiftly tuned to create changing electromagnetic effects.

The trick will be to guide the light wave themselves! The article is for near infrared terahertz wavelength use, but they point out that by engineering the height the material can work on visible light wavelengths.

You get the wavelengths to interact with each other like a hologram but with out the fuzzy, TV flicker (or the spinning LED stuff), and computer control the whole thing from within the light source base structure itself! Full spectrum, moving holograms!!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Thanks!!

Uh, didn’t think of that so thanks.

But wondering why they need to rotate. Because most of the time everything stays put. Rotation seems important so wondering why!

My personal feeling is that everything rotates and you cannot get around it. And that the statement is not really true because it is rotating.

Then again, old and lame, and trying to swim with the fishes!

For large scale exhibits, it's better to have a classic cinema outdoor projection system

But the restriction on that system is that you don't always have a perfect projection pyramid space.
edit on 1-5-2018 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Bout friggin time we had a hologram that looked this good. When I see stuff like this I think "the future is finally here!"

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Their aim is to develop a modulator capable of suppressing and activating thousands of neurons in real time, replicating the patterns of actual brain activity. In doing so, the device could trick the brain into various sensations and experiences.

Scientists Use Holographic Projection to Edit Brain Activity

leolady

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Very cool but I wouldn't class this as a hologram in the likes of Star Trek holodecks etc. If you were to stand side on to the lady you wouldn't even see it

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Where's Miku . . . .?

. . . . I'll just leave this here.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Whatsthisthen

Ahh. miku. great holo tech.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join