It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

Treating masculinity as if it were a mental health crisis, “MasculinUT” is organized by the school’s counseling staff and most recently organized a poster series encouraging students to develop a “healthy model of masculinity.”

The program is predicated on a critique of so-called “restrictive masculinity.” Men, the program argues, suffer when they are told to “act like a man” or when they are encouraged to fulfill traditional gender roles, such as being “successful” or “the breadwinner.”

“If you are a male student at UT reading this right now, we hope that learning about this helps you not to feel guilty about having participated in these definitions of masculinity, and instead feel empowered to break the cycle!” the program offers.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

So, now there is a thing called a “healthy model of masculinity,” which apparently demeanizes men who act like strong, self assured individuals, because they're more prone to be bullies and become violent. This school's counseling staff is probably made up of Liberals, who are concerned about "Beta" males low self esteem issues. Perhaps "Beta" males are just spineless and emotionally weak individuals, who get intimidated and upset, when they're in the presence of "Alpha" males. So let us pat them on the back and come up with a program that teaches men to be less empowering, so they don't hurt the "wimpy" guy's feelings. MasculinUT states that “traditional ideas of masculinity place men into rigid (or restrictive) boxes [which]... prevent them from developing their emotional maturity.” This is ludicrous. Perhaps the wimpy "Beta" males are experiencing this, but show me proof that the majority of confident, masculine men experience this. The fact is, in life, you're going to run into respectful and kind people, as well as, mean, arrogant and disrespectful people...irregardless of gender or race. There's no evidence that "Alpha" males tend to be more violent or aggressive and it states that in this article.

Though the school seems to justify this by claiming that masculinity can cause men to lash out at other people and themselves, the school did not respond to a request for comment to clarify.

There is no evidence that masculinity itself contributes to violence. Universities that run similar programs, such as UNC-Chapel Hill and Northwestern, have admitted that their programming isn’t supported by any evidence.

pjmedia.com...

However, if you go to the MasculinUT (Voices Against Violence/Healthy Masculinity Project) at the University of Texas at Austin's webpage, you'll find this diagram:

The best comment I've read on this topic so far, sums it up perfectly:

This is a program for effeminate male Democrats and masculine female Democrats to help them transcend the boundaries of stupidity into insanity.

pjmedia.com...

Never have I been more convinced I'd never choose to move to USA. It's Oxen Feces like this, caused by the feminists and their toxic femininity that's ruining the place from the inside.

Compare the guys that went to war in 1944 with guys of today even twice their age. What has happened? Men of today are supposed to become women, and even the "mild cases" seem to be more concerned about manbuns, rouge and trigger warnings.

It's about time men put on some pants and say "Enough is enough".

Edit: I had written "feminists and their toxic masculinity", and in some way that's actually more spot on than "toxic femininity". Don't try to be men, women - we have guys for that job. And guys: Don't try to be women. That position at least USED to be filled, but who TF knows these days...
edit on 1-5-2018 by Uberdoubter because: Addendum and correction.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think in general we're killing ourselves with too much psychology.

People want to overanalyze and point to this or that as some kind of mental problem. Right now, I don't think any of us can be perfectly mentally healthy because we've created so many mental instabilities and issues. Create an insecurity and doubt and anxiety does what you need.

As Krishnamurti said:
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
The best I can tell that means feeling right at home in a university setting as they seem to be the drivers of critical theory.
edit on 1-5-2018 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I just love how these universities think they can teach everyone about how males should and shouldnt be like they are the arbiters of male behaviour for the entire planet !

the best thing to do if you are a male is ignore this bull# and carry on being a human !

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Actually, contrary to what they seem to be espousing, bullies, woman beaters, etc, who are male, have a deficiency or something wrong with their masculinity. A man secure in his manhood doesn't feel the need to prove himself with shows of force. He balances his ability and willingness to exert power with the need to do so. He's not afraid to take action to quell injustices, and by the same token, he is also not afraid that people might think he is a weenie boy for walking away from some jerk who is looking for a fight.

A lot of the trouble boys cause (they cannot rightly be called men when they can barely control their own lives) is due to fear. Fear isn't a part of Masculinity, is it? It seems like a lack of Masculinity could just as easily be called a "mental disorder" or whatever, when one looks beyond the surface which only shows us "males are doing something", then people like the UT, take a wild leap and assume they found the cause... "too much masculinity".

Yeah it can't be "damaged masculinity", "incomplete masculinity", or "missing or deficient masculinity"... it's Just masculinity...

A lot of guys growing up without proper male guidance these days, economic opportunities are not the same as the previous generations, so it's hard to live up to their expectations. More adults are living at home with mom and dad into their 30s. An expanded political awareness has shown us how all wars since ww2, at least, have been unjust. Manufacturing jobs have moved overseas.

All these things make it really hard for a lot of guys to "feel like a man". Men, at their core, Want to do good, they want to protect the weak, they want to do good for their families. When these things become unobtainable, for whatever reason including that we haven't learned how, that's when "we" act out.

It's almost always the loser with nothing to show for himself, no admirable qualities, who becomes a drunk and beats his wife and kids, or abandons them completely. Look at this mans father, his mother, his childhood, his relationship with his parents, and the reasons why he ended up that way should be obvious. Sure he could've persevered but for whatever reason he doesnt... maybe he ran out of gas/hope when he was still a child. There wasn't a father figure with an intact masculinity to give him the preperation and guidance he needed, as is the instinct of a man with a strong and upright sense of Masculinity, to guide others as needed, as he too was once guided.

It takes a real man, to create a real man. That doesn't mean a single mom can't do a heck of a job. But, let's be real here, you gotta have a man for certain things. Maybe the single mother has a good father or brother to fill in the spaces, or maybe even a decent man to be the boys stepfather, and that could suffice, or maybe the woman has the sense to expose him to things that assist in his development of Masculinity, but, nothing can substitute a Good Father.

Now, a single mother, or a mother and stepfather, can produce a fine young man. And I happen to believe everything happens for a reason, so, maybe not every male was meant to have the exact same sense of Masculinity. For example, I can think of a lot of ways,my life would have been "improved" if my father had at least stuck around to see me born, but, maybe those hardships I faced, helped me become a better person, although with a lot of problems I would not otherwise have...i would also not have some of the insights and strengths I've gained.

However, I stand by the statement that nothing can substitute a good father and mother. I may have turned out to be a decent person, and any of you may do an amazing job without your child's other half, or by adopting (which is always a good idea to at least consider), and maybe they will somehow turn out better (due to hardships) but the fact is, you are still just doing the best with what you have to work with, and not working under ideal conditions. Then again, in this current state of affairs, very few lucky people are living under "ideal conditions"... which, again, is why we are having masculinity crisis...

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I think in general we're killing ourselves with too much psychology.

People want to overanalyze and point to this or that as some kind of mental problem. Right now, I don't think any of us can be perfectly mentally healthy because we've created so many mental instabilities and issues. Create an insecurity and doubt and anxiety does what you need.

As Krishnamurti said:
"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
The best I can tell that means feeling right at home in a university setting as they seem to be the drivers of critical theory.

Thank you, I love that quotation and just used it the other day, but never knew who said it. This goes along with a lot of the stuff I was saying in my post.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:42 AM
link   

edit on 1-5-2018 by neo96 because: Hides in his bunker.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Spin that # OP....

Maybe this is why UT needs to battle TOXIC Masculinity...

More rape cases reported at UT Austin than at any other campus in Texas

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
There's no actual objective masculinity or femininity, it's all made up and based on your personal biases and opinions.

These concepts aren't concrete and they change quite a bit. They are different in every culture and era, they are different between each individual.

What does an ancient Amazon warrior consider "feminine"? Battle? I mean think about it.

Is long hair feminine? Not in every culture!! Both men and women have hair that naturally grows long, and by our culture we choose to cut it certain ways or just let it grow.

These are gender biases. They are entirely subjective.

In reality the only thing with gender objectively speaking is your physical body. You either have the body of a man or a woman. Everything in your mind is merely a fabrication of imagination.

Ideas themselves are genderless, and if they have a physical manifestation it is an electromagnetic field.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

A society is conceivably easier to destroy if the men are all emasculated and demonized. The globalists have declared total war on us IMHO. Just look at all the movies as of late for example. NO strong male role models are anywhere to be found in motion pictures anymore. Yet, transgender people and effeminate males are idolized. Its not by accident.
edit on 1-5-2018 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Someday, people will remember what the word 'Misandry' means.

This is the second time I've posted this exact sentence on a topic on this board.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I'm heading back to Austin in 3 days.
All of my debts are zeroed out.
I will be on a bicycle with what I can carry on my back.
Couple hundred bucks in my pocket.
I want to see that city made a better place.
Let the adventure begin.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here are some of the posters UT is using in their ad campaign for this.

Aren't they darling?

The first isn't really masculine, and the second says he's not masculine to begin with.
edit on 2-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-5-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
This can't be real.

And yet the gender bending celebration wagon marches on as if it's something to be celebrated.

Feeling like your the wrong gender is normal and healthy, being a male and masculine is a mental illness.

The # is wrong worth people.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Many a poison passes from mouth to ear... such is that nature when egoism gets blended with testosterone. In a modern society; communication not snap judgments are key. The eyes only see... if there is a judgment in that seeing... the mind is discriminating instead of learning. Thinking has already learned? Wisdom shrinks to that of an animal as a predator/prey cycle... all that needs is some useless anthem to get the mind/heart pumping to the tune of stupidity.

Then off it is to the races and seeing how fast the whole vine of life can sour...

The ear should be tuned to the deafness that hears nature clearly; to let those that actually do help in the flow of life run on automatic. Discrimination of smell only breeds poison; the same as form does; which only breeds poison against all of nature just the same... develop a taste for such things and a craving or appetite ensues/pursues... in that predator/prey cycle.

This is an ongoing thing... no matter how wise or smart one or another may "think" they are. All concept does is feed another bubble to a pool to only burst a moment or however longer in a catch and release. Past concept only chases a tail in that animal "self" future only plots or plants more seed attached to both of those "times" the present should be a gift as all of that ignorant cycle rolls around between the electric poles.

And yet... the clearer all that conceptual poison gets? The less all of that seems or appears a gift... sure death is easy to skip over; the sickness however... breeds even faster than life could ever support. That sickness is the craving not the attachment... even a small spec in the void becomes the yang to grasp that brighter spot seen as yin; and there it all goes up and down that drain yet again and again.

Not being the clog? Is neutrality... if caught in the net? Just the same as jumping it. lol...

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Scrubdog

originally posted by: Nyiah

originally posted by: Scrubdog

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
They ALL flew over the cuckoo's nest!
Feminism was a good thing to a point, like all movements they have no clue when to stop.
Somebody gets power or money, groups are created and they consider themselves indispensable to society.
So they end up creating new paranoid schemes they must protect womenfolk from.
Men are too....manlike.
God save us from the Estrogen Stormtroopers.

No, it doesn't say that.

It says there's more than one way to be a man and not conforming to what society tells you is not cause for believing yourself to be a failure.

That's all.

Yeah, this is basically all it says. I see a bunch of people very insecure in their masculinity having very stereotypical girl-like conniption fits over their own misunderstanding of the outreach, though.

No, it really doesn't.

I'd look into reading comprehension outreach efforts if I was in your shoes.

Yes, you do see a bunch of people very insecure in their masculinity having a conniption fit about the fact that this program exists to help people, you seem to be one. I'm wondering what about it threatens you?

Not a thing about it threatens me or who I am, so I am wondering who you're pointing out? If you're trying to "be a man about it," I'd again point out that reading comp is quite manly, and could help considerably.

Sarcasm is not your thing, is it? Have a cookie and go powder your nose.

Hear, hear! We have yet to invent the sarcasm font...

@Scrubdog: Yeah, you pretty much stepped in that one...you could do better. Not hating, just saying. Keep on, keeping on (I'm a fan of most of your takes).

posted on May, 8 2018 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is such feminist view of masculine males, everyone boycott this university!

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join