It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's really a problem concerning the aspect of traditional "masculinity" and how it impacts a man's behavior. I think the main problem could be the lack of proper parenting skills, when it comes to discipline and teaching young males how to be self assured, responsible and respectful to other people's feelings. This program is just a guise to legitimize sexual fluidity and gender, while arguing that the traditional roles of masculinity and femininity are somehow related to bad behavior. This is just rampant speculation used to justify the need for this program. I do feel there should be counseling services available for all students suffering emotional issues, but lets stop blaming traditional values and the primary pillar of good morals.
edit on 4/30/2018 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   
oh jeeeeez

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Well...we can't give lip service to addressing bullying without ever putting any action in play.

Not that this will help bullying...but its the type of issues that the program seems designed around.

I agree that it would be far better for parents to be the ones doing this stuff with their kids.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 01:30 PM
link   

This is the effin tip of the iceberg and quite frankly it makes me want to smash something close by...

*grabs bottle of pills

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I actually don't view the world in a masculinity-femininity paradigm.

I also don't rate people in an alpha beta hierarchy.

I'm surprised that so many of yall think in those terms. It is disappointing to see so much herd mentality-ignorance.

Reality actually is:
I'm just "me" and we need to embrace the fact every individual is unique unto themselves and has great potential. Everyone deserves respect.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: dug88

originally posted by: AScrubWhoDied
Right on their own website:

The MasculinUT program does not treat masculinity as a “mental health issue,” and any such statements are simply not accurate. It was established to bring more men to the table to address interpersonal violence, sexual assault and other issues.

cmhc.utexas.edu...

If you read the OP and you believed it you are an idiot.

It's still pretty #ed they need a course to teach people how not to rape somebody...

They should make it illegal, or at the very least, make a sign.

Nah I think we need to go straight to confiscation of the 'assault weapon'

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

You know the answer, and I suspect so does Krazy, it's because only traditional stuff is bad/wrong and needs to be shown to be something we can all "free" ourselves from, and perhaps if we imply it might be a mental issue that keeps us all roped into our traditional roles, then they can break it up even more to normalize themselves.

This wouldn't bother me nearly as much if they hadn't thrown in the idea that a man who takes care of others is part of the mental illness paradigm.

So basically, they take a dump on the idea of the family man while they are at it because, you know, what we need in the world are more absentee fathers.
edit on 30-4-2018 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Grambler

You know the answer, and I suspect so does Krazy, it's because only traditional stuff is bad/wrong and needs to be shown to be something we can all "free" ourselves from, and perhaps if we imply it might be a mental issue that keeps us all roped into our traditional roles, then they can break it up even more to normalize themselves.

This wouldn't bother me nearly as much if they hadn't thrown in the idea that a man who takes care of others is part of the mental illness paradigm.

So basically, they take a dump on the idea of the family man while they are at it because, you know, what we need in the world are more absentee fathers.

Let me ask you something, because it'll help make the outreach's point more clear.

Has your husband ever stifled crying in front of others to avoid looking unmanly or spineless, no matter how warranted it was? A death, crushing stress, depression, etc? Or was he ever made fun of for it? Chided for having an emotional reaction, opted for empathy before jeers, etc?

if yes, THAT is what they're trying to help people see is OK for guys to do & they don't need to change themselves if they already do any of it. That it's normal human reactions and views, not that it makes them weak sissies because a chest-thumping frat boy wannabe or an internet armchair jock said they were.
edit on 4/30/2018 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

A few points to make.

One. Love your signature.

Two. Men should only cry if they are caught in a bear trap or if their dog is caught in a bear trap.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:59 PM
link   

However, lack of empathy is not a uniquely masculine trait.

I see it spread out pretty uniformly among men and women.

I would argue that one of the things on that poster ... the idea that it might be a toxic trait to feel like you need to take care of others displays a lack of empathy. People who don't feel like they need to care for others are generally selfish and lacking in empathy, but it's one of those things this program says men need to be wary of -- empathy.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

What part of feeling like you need to take care of others is bad did you miss on that poster?

That disturbs me greatly.

I have the desire to take care of others as a woman, and no one tells me that's wrong.

I also regularly stifle my own emotional responses in public as a woman all the time. No one tells me that's wrong.

But somehow, it is uniquely dangerous if my husband does it? So I should keep a stiff upper lip and save the crying for later, but if he does it, it's a sign of mental illness?

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

yeah, im not gonna be the champion of that class in this thread...i think its ludicrous. The approach should be simply "you do you, and let everyone else do them"

There is a study that i've seen referenced a few times that I need to look up, but the claim appears to be that psychopathy is waxing and they are blaming the decrease in direct interaction for it.

There is no doubt that we are creating stress on ourselves with the world we have created around ourselves. If that stress results in any tangible effect, i do not know.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I think in general we're killing ourselves with too much psychology.

People want to overanalyze and point to this or that as some kind of mental problem. Right now, I don't think any of us can be perfectly mentally healthy because we've created so many mental instabilities and issues. Create an insecurity and doubt and anxiety does what you need.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

If masculinity is a mental disorder, and you can't purchase a firearm if you have a mental disorder. . .

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Not a myth I have seen them lock horns and fight, and so have you if you ever watched a boxing match.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:27 PM
link   

I don't see why we Conservatives keep putting up with this stuff. We are in power now, why are we not banning THEIR favorite things, creating new laws to oppress THEM, or trying to turn women into men, by banning seduction and femininity? Let's face it, ever since equality, U.S. women (and this is not ALL women, we all know the ones of whom I speak) have become just as brutal as men, and the murder rates for women are skyrocketing (usually poisoning someone or murdering old people in care homes...but I digress), and that's not even mentioning abortions, which are several thousands of kids per year killed before they even get a chance at life...the number of deaths, is in the triple digits. So clearly, we have a Toxic Female Syndrome issue here. Why are we not punishing Liberals, like they have been punishing us? Only an idiot could look at this new policy, and NOT know that these are feminists blatantly attacking men. What's worse, is there are some pretty stupid men out there that are helping them, called Male feminist (whatever the F that is), and don't even realize, that they're helping feminists to tighten the noose around their own neck, as well as every other guy who simply wants to be the man that he was born to be. These Male feminists, will regret everything they have done when they become an older man and no one gives a crap about them, and then THEY are attacked. They will suffer with the rest of us.
edit on 30-4-2018 by IlluminatiTechnician because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 09:50 PM
link   
This is nothing more than another attack on social standards. Being executed by girls, not real women and father (man) -less boys. Mommy boy types. Sad thing is society has obviously given them a podium from which to voice their child like ideologies. Ironically it was brave, "real" women and men that gave them the freedom to be such sissies. These people need a time out, or their own island. Any male figure involved with this nonsense needs to be drafted and dropped someplace where they'd have no choice but to "man up". This is just another attempt by evil to change the meaning of words/standards. They where successful at distorting and destroying the standard meaning of family, marriage...etc. Funny how the only victims of their attacks are always the men. These people obviously have a dislike of structure.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   
tldr. man #. # faggots!

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 01:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I think in general we're killing ourselves with too much psychology.

People want to overanalyze and point to this or that as some kind of mental problem. Right now, I don't think any of us can be perfectly mentally healthy because we've created so many mental instabilities and issues. Create an insecurity and doubt and anxiety does what you need.

There's no such thing as "overanalysis", there are however poor attempts at analysis.

There are incorrect interpretations, missed aspects, and failures to reveal details via examination which results in incorrect conclusions.

We also are not trained to properly analyze things methodically, nor are we trained properly in logic, philosophy, scientific methods or history.

So therefore it is not "mental illness" per se that is the problem. Instead the problems stem from poor communication and language skills, poor thinking skills, poor coping and sociological skills, and poor education overall.

posted on May, 1 2018 @ 01:48 AM
link   
This is the result of either:
1) Ignorance of the masses, or
2) Extremely clever mind control, or
3) a mix of both.

Problem Reaction then wait for what comes next...

So you create a false belief system based on illogical dichotomies then provoke it's polar opposite to surface - divide and conquer.

Social Engineering 101 basically.

Perhaps we need more laws and pills and therapists and psychiatrists and lawyers? Yes... Perhaps so?

No no no.... What we actually need is a functional education system. Theoretically such a thing could aid in helping us not act and speak like such buffoons. Then we won't need laws and pills to pick up all the slack.
edit on 5/1/2018 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join