It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

University of Texas to Treat Masculinity as a 'Mental Health' Issue

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Does anyone else think this is kind of strange to see this happening in Texas? Of all states, Texas would be the last place I would think it would happen.

I am completely gobsmacked!
Then again, school was pretty much past tense for me when I arrived in Tejas 40 years ago.

I am NOT going to pass this along to the local boot-wearin' pickup-climbing good ole boys down here where I live.
Now up in Dallas, I'm sure there's a few folks that might be interested (even if only to appease their girlfriends).

ganjoa

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:47 PM
link   
The problem with thi is that it is sophistry designed to win arguments by being shady.

Feminists and their supporters routinely change the definitions of words like feminist, masculine, feminine, etc to always benefit thier position.

So for example they are forced to say that masculine doesnt mean male and feminine doesnt mean female, because that would mean that critizing masulinity would be criticining a person merely for how they were born.

SO then they say things like children thrive more in a feminine environment than a masculine one. (had this argument with my feminist professor in college)

Then you say ok are you saying children do better with women?

They say no, fmeienine doesnt neccessarily mean womne.

Then you ask them to define feminine.

They will say caring, nurturing, loving, etc, whereas masculine is anger, power, fear, aggressive.

So basically, they define anything "good" as feminine, and anything "bad" as masculine.

So then the huge truth bomb they are laying is children do better in good environments.

Why do they use the words masculine and feminine then instead of good and bad.

Well because it allows them to do a slight of hand to people not thinking critically and imply women are better than men in this situation.

In the example in the OP, we see them trying to change the definition of masculinity.

Ok then if they are right that there are many definitions of masculinity and we should change them to healthier ones, does that mean that their are also definitions of femininity including some that are exclusionary?

Would this then be an admission that the promotion of feminists values can be exclusionary, a power game, and aggressive (such as they claim about traditional explanations of masculinity?)

Of course none of that will be addressed.

The idea here is to further muddy the waters and to, if you excuse the language, baffle you with bs.

The truth is modern feminsm is cultural marxism, and seeks to divide the world into oppressors vs the oppressed, and capitalize on the division.

It is garbage and cant stand up to any reasonable debate; hence their desire to constantly shut down anyone who dares to disgree with them.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

I would expect this from Mickey Mouse Land (aka California)

But Texas?!

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: scraedtosleep
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

Do you have any better examples of unhealthy masculinity?

Do they?

You could say the stigma with men crying or showing emotion is unhealthy.......

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Just wanted to add, when the local community college makes Toxic Masculinity 101 a course...I'll be signing up to meet chicks

edit on 29-4-2018 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

We are talking about Austin.

Austin isn't exactly the rest of Texas. It's motto is "Keep Austin weird" and by weird they really mean blue.

Besides, one of the favorite points of refuge for lefties fleeing states like Cali is Texas, and they take their views with them.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Oh great.

Just great.

I started reading this thread and now I'm ovulating.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Ovulating is easy; it's the PMS you have to worry about.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Ovulating is easy; it's the PMS you have to worry about.

I think I'll feel better after a good cry.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:57 PM
link   
I think the liberals only have a problem with "white masculinity"

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Just try not to take it out on the Gunthers.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Some of these ideas and hot button topics lately aren't even 'blue' anymore. They're willful delusions and fantasies.

The word 'tantrum' comes to mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Austin is blue, however, and it gives these kinds cover. I'm not sure what you call them, but UT is where they had ANTIFA recruiting the mentally ill not so long ago.

That campus has some big issues.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Based on the number of replies referring to the number of replies referring to the "course" or "class" teaching this, I can't help but laugh at the number of people triggered by a clickbait title and article who didn't bother to read anything beyond the OP. It's quite a fascinating display of irony to witness the number of thread participants who are acting like the sissyboys and effeminate students they are attempting to mock. Well played denizens of ATS!

In case anyone is actually curious, this isn't a class being offered, there is no mandate involved and it doesn't actually have any affect whatsoever on those alpha males with the frat boy mentality unless they go to a UT Mental Health Center looking for counseling or they want to help put up posters or attend a workshop. Lot of people losing their minds over something that's pretty benign in the grand scheme of things simply because a right wing blog told you to be outraged but neglected to utilize citations so that you could opt in on some critical thinking and see what it actually is that you're about to tuck yourself into your safe space to suck your thumb underneath your snowflake blankies and hide from.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

And while I am on it, other intersectional disciplines play the same word games.

For example, in my time in universities and collegiate debate I was routine reminded of the need to reject whiteness.

Well again, when pressed, they have to say whiteness isnt something you are born with, but a social construct or choice.

So you ask them to define whiteness.

despite this apprantly being something that is so important to reject that the fate of the world rests on it, and something these people have spent a lot of time researching and rejecting, no one caan seem to define exactly what "whiteness" is.

Most times it would lead to some gibberish about power and money.

Then you start to ask if a poor homeless man is white. Again it depends on what argument they are making at that moment, sometimes yes that man still has whiteness and priveledge, sometimes no he was rejected by whiteness, etc.

Its all garbage designed to not make it seem like they are saying white people are bad or need rejected, but at the same time hint that that is exactly the case.

And you can smell when this crap is being brought up; a lot of words with ISM at the end usually follow. Words like heteronormativity get tossed about.

Its trule a fascinating world of divisiveness, hate and outright bs packaged in a pretty package of sophistry.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: peter vlar

Do you think masculinity is a mental health issue?

From your handle, I am going to assume you are male. Do you feel mentally ill just by virtue of your masculinity?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Let me put it this way, I was never leaning left or right or red or blue...

I am very liberal in many ways. I am not racist nor homophobic. I have learned people are just people and I take it all on a case-by-case basis.

But this militant campaign I've been seeing in the last year or two has definitely pushed me away from wanting to be painted blue.

I definitely do not want to be part of any of this idiocy going on.

It just makes me want to 'man up' even more

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:13 PM
link   
SO lets take a look atr the actual problem they are trying to address.

They are trying to counsel men (I assume mostly men) who dont feel they meet the traditional definition of masculine.

And so to do this, they seek to redfine what it means to be masculine, and open it up to more diversity and openness.

The problem is that this is also rentrenching the idea that there is a "correct" way to be masculine.

This is the problem with all of these idneitity politics.

When you seperate the world into groups, and then suggests we need to change the behavior of some groups, you are just maniipulating the definitions, but not addressing the problem.

If there are any guys out there reading my post (or women or trans etc.) who feel you dont fit into masculine or feminine, let me give you some advice.

Stop trying to fit in to some group!

These hucksters just want to label you and box you in.

You are not the sum of the groups you happen to be (race, sex, age, ect.)

You are an individual who happens to have a race, age etc.

Think of it like this.

Have you ever heard one of those annoying people that ask what you astrological sign is?

"Oh your a leo, that means you are fiery! I wish we could make leos more gentle!"

The answer isnt to change what a "leo" is, its to stop caring or focusing on the fact you are a leo!

The same is true with masculinity, blackness, homosexuality or any of their inverses.

Your a gay black man who is a great athlete? Shes a straight latino woman who is physically disabled?

who cares! lets talk ideas, thoughts; individuality.

edit on 29-4-2018 by Grambler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:14 PM
link   

IMO, there are leftists and there are militant leftists. You see both types on this forum. The leftists/liberals will disagree with you, even be cantankerous, but at the end of it all, it's an amicable enough discussion.

There is no reasonable disagreement possible with the other sort.

I'll admit that it doesn't help that they all generally travel under the same label umbrella and like more or less similar sets of ideas, so sometimes, reasonable people get caught in a crossfire that they maybe don't deserve.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I like all the joking about this on the thread.

Oh wait, maybe joking about something someone believes is serious is a mental illness. Hmmm.

Oh well, being a little nuts is fun

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join