It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The NRA Won't Allow Guns At Mike Pence's Convention Speech & Parkland Students highlight Irony

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:17 PM
link   
This is been in the news for long enough I thought it would've popped up on here but no. Just to clarify, the convention policy makes it clear on their website the firearms will be permitted, Mike Pence is just a special case.

The "Firearms Policy" section on their convention website makes it clear that "lawfully carried firearms will be permitted" at the site of the convention center. However, Pence's speech falls under different rules. "Due to the attendance of the Vice President of the United States, the U.S. Secret Service will be responsible for event security at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum," the event page for Mike Pence's speech reads, in bold print. "As a result, firearms and firearm accessories, knives or weapons of any kind will be prohibited in the forum prior to and during his attendance."

www.bustle.com...

Texas is, as we all know, a fairly gun friendly state, open carry and all. Mike Pence is only appearing the one time so possible firearms will be permitted after and prior? Not 100%. It still seems hypocritical for an organization to advocate open carry a freedom of arms to ban them for Pence, a conservative a pro-gun advocate, without hesitation or question.

There was an explanation by one NRA member that it was out of the NRA's control:

"The Secret Service is in control of security. The NRA is yeilding to them. That said, the NRA should uninvite Pence," the former NRA member wrote. "My point being, too bad the NRA isn't as concerned about the safety of students as they are about the Veep's."

Still, hypocrisy persists. Irony persists. The NRA, willingly forgoing it's principals. In order to invite the vice president, the NRA had to go against its own principles and agree, at least this once, that guns to not make a situation safer.

+22 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

So you want a deranged leftist to be able to carry a firearm into a Pence speech in order to kill him?

How interesting!

Please, tell us all a little more!

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Actually, it's proof that guns supporters, including the NRA, do have limits they would take the Second Amendment.

Property rights, as well as all other rights, need to be observed as well.

Nice try, though....Boring Sunday?....

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So you want a deranged leftist to be able to carry a firearm into a Pence speech in order to kill him?

How interesting!

Please, tell us all a little more!

What better place can you think of for gungrabbers from the deep state to stage a MK Ultra mass shooting?

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Pence is Veep to Trump.

He gets death threats probably daily.

Leftists are upset and name-calling because there isn't an opportunity to kill the Vice President.

That's how I'm reading it.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Actually, it's proof that guns supporters, including the NRA, do have limits they would take the Second Amendment.

Really? Cuz I keep hearing “SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!”

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Did they do so from behind their armed security?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:43 PM
link   
You have no understanding of guns or the issues do you?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
This is been in the news for long enough I thought it would've popped up on here but no. Just to clarify, the convention policy makes it clear on their website the firearms will be permitted, Mike Pence is just a special case.

The "Firearms Policy" section on their convention website makes it clear that "lawfully carried firearms will be permitted" at the site of the convention center. However, Pence's speech falls under different rules. "Due to the attendance of the Vice President of the United States, the U.S. Secret Service will be responsible for event security at the NRA-ILA Leadership Forum," the event page for Mike Pence's speech reads, in bold print. "As a result, firearms and firearm accessories, knives or weapons of any kind will be prohibited in the forum prior to and during his attendance."

www.bustle.com...

Texas is, as we all know, a fairly gun friendly state, open carry and all. Mike Pence is only appearing the one time so possible firearms will be permitted after and prior? Not 100%. It still seems hypocritical for an organization to advocate open carry a freedom of arms to ban them for Pence, a conservative a pro-gun advocate, without hesitation or question.

There was an explanation by one NRA member that it was out of the NRA's control:

"The Secret Service is in control of security. The NRA is yeilding to them. That said, the NRA should uninvite Pence," the former NRA member wrote. "My point being, too bad the NRA isn't as concerned about the safety of students as they are about the Veep's."

Still, hypocrisy persists. Irony persists. The NRA, willingly forgoing it's principals. In order to invite the vice president, the NRA had to go against its own principles and agree, at least this once, that guns to not make a situation safer.

Sorry....unless you're arguing for open carry everywhere, including schools, then maybe you're biased a bit?

There's a HUGE difference between open carry and carry at a political gathering. It's like a sports arena. Tensions run high so you try to cut off possible violent actions at the door.

Would you rather an incident occur?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:53 PM
link   
But..isn't the NRA always saying that personal safety is in direct proportion to number of guns in the group??

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:54 PM
link   

The NRA Won't Allow Guns At Mike Pence's Convention Speech & Parkland Students highlight Irony

What irony?

The NRA are basically saying "look, we can deal with guns without infringing on anybody's rights".

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv

This is not infringing, though.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

www.bustle.com...

Would you rather an incident occur?

I’d rather an incident not occur actually. I’d also rather an incident not occur at a movie theater or a school or a mall or a church or an outdoor music venue, etc., etc. I’m told that more guns would be the solution. But not in this case?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

Yes it is.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DupontDeux

originally posted by: kaylaluv

How is “won’t allow guns” not an infringement, according to gun rights supporters?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
If common sense was a baby it would have gotten thrown out with the bath water.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Well now, I thought Gun Free zones don't protect anyone from deranged anything, Leftist or Rightist or Whatever? Besides, if it weren't a Gun Free zone then the many NRA gun enthusiasts can stop your Deranged Leftist because the only thing that will stop a bad Deranged Leftist with a gun is a good Right Winger with a gun, amirite?

So in this thread, conservatives actually do support Gun Free zones. Whowouldathoughtit?

edit on 29-4-2018 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:07 PM
link   
The NRA has never said we should not have any regulation. I do not know how people can misinterpret that. I belonged to the NRA for a few decades, I liked reading their newsletters. They are against unneeded regulations, they understand that those who are mentally ill should not possess guns and also know that people who have committed violent crimes should not be allowed to have guns. It is the definition of mentally ill that is a concern. Is someone who collects guns mentally ill? Not usually. But people who are nuts like guns too. Where do you draw the line is the issue.

link   

Don't put words in their mouth. The NRA DID NOT SAY that guns do not make a situation safer. the U.S. Secret Service gave the NRA an ultimatum: No guns or Pence does not appear, period. How does that make the NRA hypocritical? You made that up because you so desperately want the NRA to be hypocritical. I can tell you from personal experience how the Secret Service acts in these situations. I was at a meeting in a large room at a hotel in Washington D.C. where then Vice President Al Gore came to speak to the American Legion, also having a convention in the hotel. The Secret Service set up a corridor in the hotel with agents so that Gore would not even see anyone else nor would anyone else lay eyes on him in the hotel as he went from his limo to the Legion meeting. Then they told us, in our own separate meeting, that we could not leave the meeting until they said so. In other words, we were sequestered in place. When they finally allowed us to leave the corridor was still in place. One of our number walked up to an agent and said, "What if I just went across that corridor," i.e.: invaded that space. The agent said, "You would never make it." Point? The Secret Service runs the show AND the secret service had PLENTY of guns with them. You can claim hypocrisy if you want, but that's just stupid.
edit on 4/29/2018 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: Swills

So you're arguing FOR the deranged assassin.

Interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join