It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Origin Rocket Launch - Live Telecast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Hey guys - just wanted to pass along some info for all the space enthusiasts on this forum.. Blue Origin (Rocket company owned by Jeff Bezos - Amazon) is launching their first rocket of 2018. Similar to SpaceX, Blue Origin is all about the reusable rocket and cutting the wasted costs.. This launch today is with their sub-orbital vehicle. Their orbital launches (with the New Glenn Rocket) are set to start in the next year or two... Anyways, if you go to Blue Origin's website, you can live stream the launch which is set to happen within the next 30 minutes...

The Verge

Blue Origin Website

Enjoy!

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

under 3 minutes before take off...

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 12:20 PM
link   
That was impressive to watch, lets hope rocket travel becomes an every day event in the very near future!!

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That looked cool, but how high did it go? And the video from their site doesn't seem correct, they say that the capsule landed at 1 mph, but from the video it looks to be landing at a higher rate of speed. Any experts what to chime in on this?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday

It reach approx. 250,000 ft

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

That's what I thought, but that not even close to going into space (that's just under 50 miles up, to qualify as going into space it needs to get at least 62 miles up)

I guess it was a good launch and recovery, but I'm still not that impressed with what Blue Origin has shown.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:47 PM
link   

They're sub orbital with this rocket. Their Glenn rocket will be their orbital rocket. It will use a reusable first stage, which is why they're perfecting it with this rocket.

They were testing their capsule as well as flying some experiments on this flight.
edit on 4/29/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Apogee came in at 347,000 ft... they were checking data last i checked to see if they hit the 350k ft goal.. The Karman line is 330k feet, which is outer space
edit on 29-4-2018 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

That's what I thought, but that not even close to going into space (that's just under 50 miles up, to qualify as going into space it needs to get at least 62 miles up)

I guess it was a good launch and recovery, but I'm still not that impressed with what Blue Origin has shown.

They made it over 347k ft in the air.. they crossed the international line for "outer space"

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They're sub orbital with this rocket. Their Glenn rocket will be their orbital rocket. It will use a reusable first stage, which is why they're perfecting it with this rocket.

They were testing their capsule as well as flying some experiments on this flight.

Ok, I guess I was under the impression that this was suppose to be a more substantial test, then just tossing their stuff up in to air and watching it land. I get it that they should have obtained a lot of data from the launch, but the hype around the test didn't match up to what was shown.

This still leaves me confused as to why they are still being toted as competition for SpaceX.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Ok that sounds a little better, the video from their site says they made it over 250k ft but not much more was stated in their video.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Ok, I guess I was under the impression that this was suppose to be a more substantial test, then just tossing their stuff up in to air and watching it land. I get it that they should have obtained a lot of data from the launch, but the hype around the test didn't match up to what was shown.

This still leaves me confused as to why they are still being toted as competition for SpaceX.

Because of their orbital vehicle will put them on the same level as SpaceX... The company is also privately funded by the wealthiest man in America, Jeff Bezos.. This is his personal hobby, and he puts a billion into it yearly.. SpaceX doesn't have the type of backing Blue Origin has. The idea is "reusable rocket" if you master that, you reduce the costs of flight by 90-95%.. Blue Origin has shown they can reuse their orbital rocket over and over again, but now they scale up the technology for orbital launches, which will allow them to go after more NRO contracts. Blue Origin is VERY much a competitor to SpaceX, and they have shown they have the capabilities, not to mention a flawless record to date.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I'm sorry but I think that the fact that Jeff Bezos looks like Dr. Evil is not a mistake.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Well I guess I need to look into this a little more. Thanks for the info.

new topics

top topics

join