It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hillary Complaining That Trump Is Being "Petty" About The $29.5 Billion Gateway Tunnel Plan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:26 AM
link   
Hillary has apparently determined, that president Trump is against funding the Gateway Tunnel Project, just “to settle petty political scores.”

President Donald Trump’s hesitance to quickly back a nearly $30 billion rail-tunnel project to connect New York City to New Jersey was derided by Hillary Clinton on Friday night as an effort “to settle petty political scores.”

Clinton was speaking to members of the real estate industry at a gathering of the Regional Plan Association (RPA) in New York.

“It’s time for the Trump administration to stop using this vital project to settle petty political scores,” Clinton told the RPA gathering, Politico reported.

In March, President Trump threatened to veto an omnibus spending bill that included funding for the state-federal project, saying he was concerned that the federal government would be saddled with the full cost -- as New York and New Jersey sought to pay their shares with money borrowed from Washington.

www.allcitynewsonline.com...

For those who don't know, the Gateway Tunnel project is the construction of two new tunnels under the Hudson River, which will double the number of Amtrack rail lines connecting Newark, NJ and Midtown Manhattan. The problem with this project, is it's enormous costs, which continues to rise and the fact that both NY and NJ wants the federal government to fund the majority of it's costs. New York wants to obtain a $1.75 billion, 35-year loan from the federal Department of Transportation Rail Road Rehabilitation & Improvement Financing program. The problem with this, is that the loan needs to be approved and NY's state debt is already near $68 billion dollars, the second highest in the country. New Jersey Transit hopes to raise it's contribution of $1.9 billion dollars, by shafting the riders entering Penn Station in Newark, with increased "fees." Another $1.9 billion dollars would be contributed by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

New Jersey Transit will ante up $1.9 billion, paying for it with a new charge on the TansHudson railways. Passengers will pay 90 cents a trip beginning in 2020. That goes up to $1.70 in 2028 and $2.20 in 2038. New York State will contribute $1.75 billion and the Port Authority will kick in another $1.9 billion.

nypost.com...

Oh, by the way, this fact ought to be mentioned here:

New Jersey Transit fares have gone up five times for a total of 30 percent since 2010. This includes the most recent 9 percent 2015 fare increase. New Jersey Transit riders pay 50 percent of the cost per ride, which is more than most other transit systems around the nation.

www.metro.us...

The project's cost has more than doubled since this article was published in December of 2017:

In an email message, the U.S. Department of Transportation's press office said the states' pledged funding already includes federal money, and moreover that the estimated cost of the tunnel is $14.9 billion. “NY and NJ’s submission on file proposes the federal government pay 85 percent of the project costs, for a tunnel where nine out of 10 passengers are local transit riders," the federal department said. "This is entirely unserious.”

www.northjersey.com...

The project's cost is now approaching $30 billion dollars:

They proudly claim coming up with 50 percent or $5.5 billion for the local share should justify Washington quickly kicking in another 50 percent or $5.5 billion to pay for the Gateway Tunnel. Both Christie and Cuomo conveniently forgot that the total Gateway Development Corporation project cost is $29 billion.

www.metro.us...

Hillary thinks Trump is mad because Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y. doesn't want to give money to pay for a wall on the Mexican border. Some people think Trump is doing the responsible thing, because of the project's outrageous price tag and the fact that both NY and NJ need to do more in controlling it's spiraling cost.

Regardless, these risks lead serious people to say the responsible thing is to build new tunnels at any price, rather than take the extra time it would take to figure out how to build this project for the single-digit-billion number of dollars it would cost in France.

You should be angry at local New York and New Jersey officials, who oversee a government so incompetent it can only figure out how to build infrastructure for five times what it should cost. It has led to price tags so inflated, this wealthy region cannot conceive of any way to finance critical projects without financial assistance from the federal government.

Maybe a refusal of federal funds is the kick in the pants New York and New Jersey officials need. If asking Trump for money doesn't work, getting cost effective will be the only option.

www.businessinsider.com...

Of course, Hillary being a New York gal and Schumer's buddy, doesn't want to accept the possibility that Trump is being prudent concerning the Gateway Tunnel Project. Afterall, as the biased press like to continually point out, only the Democratic Party can be fiscally responsible....certainly NOT Republicans or president Trump.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:27 AM
link   
How about give the people that actually won the election something first. We want the border wall, which is cheaper than this project anyways. Our tax cut and everything else we voted for is being threatened by the Dems, yet we’re suppose to bend over for them and their precious tunnel. You gotta give a little to get a little and we all know the Dems vote in lock step against anything on the Trump agenda.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Hillary is a New York gal?!? Not according to anyone here without a “D” behind their name..she is just another carpetbagger politician..I’ve heard that long southern drawl we she talks to colored folk!!

edit on 4 294129 1818 by WUNK22 because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 06:04 AM
link   
So SHE complains ?

Her nit picking and hen pecking doesn't count !!

Her "political" scores are just starting and headed to zero fast.

Geniuses everywhere lately.

🤦💡

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 06:18 AM
link   
$30 billion for a tunnel and a bridge? That is a incredible sum.

I reckon Elon Musk could do it for $15 billion and get some practice in for building the hyper loop

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

$29.5 Billion on infrastructure or $33 billion on a symbolic wall .... tough choice I guess.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 06:41 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

No. I dont want to pay for more crap for those city dwellers just so they can continue deriding us rural folk.

That is what is known as being pissed on and told its raining.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

$29.5 Billion on infrastructure or $33 billion on a symbolic wall .... tough choice I guess.

Why would I give a damn about a tunnel in New York? I live in the South where we are ass deep in illegal aliens. To me the wall and even better enforcing immigration law looks good.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 06:47 AM
link   

wtop.com...

NEWSTRAFFICWEATHERLISTEN

Washington's Top News

Home » National News » Jersey Shore town seeks…

Jersey Shore town seeks ferry to dock next to Kushner resort

By The Associated PressMarch 9, 2018 4:53 pm

In this Monday, March 5, 2018 photo, the Pier Village development is seen in Long Branch, N.J. The federal...

LONG BRANCH, New Jersey (AP) — The federal government has been advising a beach town on the Jersey Shore on plans to build a pier and start a ferry service that would speed New Yorkers to the doorstep of a resort co-owned by Jared Kushner.

Kushner’s resort sits right next to the proposed pier, which places the federal government in the awkward position of helping steer a project that would benefit President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser. Once the project is complete, a former city official said, it would boost property values at the Kushner resort, which is currently selling 269 condos for as much as $1.9 million each

This is the project trump DID approve of.
But nothing personal. Right?
edit on 4292018 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:12 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

No. I dont want to pay for more crap for those city dwellers just so they can continue deriding us rural folk.

a reply to: Nickn3

Why would I give a damn about a tunnel in New York?

Infrastructure and jobs , isn't that what Trump said was his priority and isn't that what this project will deliver ?

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
$29.5 Billion Gateway Tunnel

Does it include a Stargate, mass relay, wormhole, jumpgate thingy that connects New York to some Interstellar nexus because else that price tag seems a bit steep.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:16 AM
link   
The tunnel will need lots of curves.
They get paid by the mile.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:17 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

NY/NJ holds and creates more wealth than almost any other part of the nation. Why are theyvnot able to help fund their own project?

Its also union/mob controlled labor. Why should my tax dollars go to feed criny corruption. Shave off the mob pork and create a reasonable price tag before gping with hands out.

Just because its infrastructure doesnt write it a blank check.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Bwhahahaha, infastructure.
Maybe we should spend the money fixing current infastructure instead of building new projects that we can't afford to maintain.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Hillary Clinton is a shame upon America...she is a despot...she is an anit-woman an anti-female....she is a monster who should be behind bars for her complicit work setting up 2 Secret service men to be executed at Waco to cover up her husbands philandering...among other things...I point out Waco because THE MONSTER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL OF THOSE LIVES.Tag on her work with Rockefeller to scrape up all the evidence and technology surrounding UFOs and the people who fly them so they may suppress it from all of humanity....monsters they are.
edit on 29-4-2018 by one4all because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Build the Wall, that benefits the whole Country.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Frst, I only care about this if my tax dollars will be going to help pay for it. In which case I'm against it. No cares for who is involved or why. Let New York and New Jersey pay for their own tunnel.

Second, isn't the mantra to forget Hillary because she's not a politician anymore and she has no clout and doesn't influence or run anything? It's way past time for her to stop meddling and move on. She wants to write, she should write then. Let the states and politicians handle the state and political issues.

So over it all. Trump and Hillary both. I'm sick of hearing about every time they do anything. You know what? My day to day life has been affected in no way since the election. Other than dealing with people jabbering on about it all every single day.

This issue right here barely even matters. If taxes do go up for it then it will be minimal. I'm still against that but, wow, big deal...
edit on 29-4-2018 by Noncents because: Corrected Misspelled Word

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 04:50 PM
link   
As if Hillary actually cares about people from her fake state of residence. People keep asking why she is still relevant and why she still garners criticism. The reason is she can’t shut her big mouth.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

wtop.com...

NEWSTRAFFICWEATHERLISTEN

Washington's Top News

Home » National News » Jersey Shore town seeks…

Jersey Shore town seeks ferry to dock next to Kushner resort

By The Associated PressMarch 9, 2018 4:53 pm

In this Monday, March 5, 2018 photo, the Pier Village development is seen in Long Branch, N.J. The federal...

LONG BRANCH, New Jersey (AP) — The federal government has been advising a beach town on the Jersey Shore on plans to build a pier and start a ferry service that would speed New Yorkers to the doorstep of a resort co-owned by Jared Kushner.

Kushner’s resort sits right next to the proposed pier, which places the federal government in the awkward position of helping steer a project that would benefit President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser. Once the project is complete, a former city official said, it would boost property values at the Kushner resort, which is currently selling 269 condos for as much as $1.9 million each

This is the project trump DID approve of.
But nothing personal. Right?

Price tags
Tunnel Project: $30,000,000,000
Pier for Ferry: -----------$3,500,000

You make a good case for not building a tunnel in favour of more piers and ferries, Silly. Thanks.

edit on 29-4-2018 by RadioRobert because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:39 PM
link   
30 million people live in New York and New Jersey. If we're going to help fund this project federally which helps only a small portion of those states, nevermind the US population, maybe we could line up $7Billion to my state at the same ratio of funding-to-population in order to build a wall that helps all the tax payers across the nation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join