It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Veteran homelessness psychological issues and medical issues

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It seems over the last 2-3 years there has been a huge increase of the commercials asking for money to support veterans either asking for money, donating unwanted goods, old cars, volunteer, give blood, kidney, laundry lint, you name it, they'll take it it seems. It seems that veterans are an odd class in a way because there are many who look at the military as the cause of a lot of the animosity towards the US by the global community as it often carries out the illegal orders of the president and even congress based on faulty "intelligence" or even totally fabricated intelligence. On top of this, for decades, the military was the refuge for the dregs of society where people with no other options coming out of high school chose to go into the military or people facing prison time were given the option of joining the military instead of facing charges/prison time. The military is an odd amalgamation of people and personalities from some of the best and brightest to some of the lowest, but I guess you need a mix like this, the leaders, planners & those who carry out the orders.

Now for the most part, the people who were in the criminal system weren't career criminals (so we are told) but people who had some relatively minor charges against them or they had some more "minor" run-ins with the law. Either way, these charges would have severely limited their options for employment and even government benefits had they not joined the military. So they were basically given a second chance and a most gracious one by some measures, and I wonder how many veterans who are now claiming homelessness and medical issues are these same people who were pulled out of the criminal system from the start.

On top of all of this, while these people were in the military, they had a guaranteed pay check, food and lodging taken care of and they should have learned some kind of a trade or something marketable in society for when they leave. I have lived very close to Camp Pendelton and Paris Island and I can tell you that none of those boys were hurting for money and they were always the ones spending big bucks at the bars, but it seems that as soon as they get out, they are claiming hard times and people need to give them their money they worked for.

I'm wondering if these charities are legitimate and actually help veterans or if they are using this issue as a cash cow to leverage people's compassion for those who served and have come out "broken". Do these companies actually give the majority of the money they collect or generate to veterans or does the majority go to paying the staff running the organization.

I think there needs to be a major "overhaul" of how charitable organizations are run with more stringent regulations regarding the amount that can be paid to operate the organization vs the amount they collect, such as they have to return a minimum of say 70-90% of revenue to the people/"subject" they claim to be helping. I've heard of some charities where less than 10% actually goes to helping those they claim to be helping. But I digress.

I have no doubt that many veterans come out broken but in this day of age, and even the last 3-4 decades, everyone knows these possibilities going into service. You know you are risking your life and limb by serving and may not come out whole. That is the trade off for serving and getting the "benefits" of job security and relatively good pay for the amount of "work" many of these people do.

I have family members who served 4-8 years and I don't ever remember them taking about ever working the entire time they served. It sounded like a long party of waiting around, driving around, dropping stuff off, talking to people, eating, driving some more, eating more, shooting guns on base, cleaning weapons, eating, drinking, driving drunk in foreign countries, eating more, etc. I was interested in finding out what they did and I never heard one description of what I would call "work" of what they did, and I don't call domestic/on base duties work.

On top of this many veterans earn money while their peers are in college, going into debt, while learning a profession or trade and most often actually working. They have to pay their own housing, food, internet, phone, cable, electric, water, sewer, trash, etc. I think out of those the only thing my family member had to pay for was his cell phone but he also had one provided to him, so he actually probably could have gotten away without one. That is a pretty nice gig on top of getting a paycheck AND getting the GI bill to pay for college after serving and also they have life long medical treatment at the VA.

Now the VA is a whole other issue. I have not had to deal with them but I think a lot of this comes from a "spoiled" mentality, because I have had many of the same issues these vets go bezerk over and I'm dealing with a good private medical practitioner/insurance program. When they were in the military I think many of them got used to getting things they "needed" when they wanted it and now they they are out, they are no longer a priority and they are not used to being put to the front of the line, so patience/waiting isn't something they are used to. This translates to them talking trash about the quality of the VA and the military, which is extremely bad for morale, recruitment and public perception.

I would venture a guess that a fair percent (5-15%??) of those in the military are there working the system and they plan to do the same once they get out, and those who make the most noise, get the most coverage. How many of these people are scamming the VA and the state disability system once they leave the service, and on top of that, they work the charities to get more free stuff or even worse, they start or work for a charity and keep most of the revenue generated from donations.

Take a look at the state of the world, look closely at the events of the last 30-40+ years, and tell me that this isn't the most likely representation of the current situation. Much like the issue with police and the "there are a few bad apples" thing, well we know there are more than a few, especially when one bad apple spoils the batch - when an officer covers for a bad officer, then they are just as guilty and the disease spreads and before long it is systemic. I fear the same thing may be happening in the military as both the military and LE are getting close and closer both in how they operate, train, recruit, etc.

It is very sad and scary they way these organizations are heading and I'm not sure how these issues can be fixed.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
there is a ton of resources out there for vet's you don't have to go far to get housing job assistance suits food

the money gets to the vets I know I am one

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 07:27 PM
link   
I donate to several veterans groups. I find they are more deserving of my support than most of the other charities that solicit money from me, however, I would be very disappointed if I found out my money is being misappropriated.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
To both of you, I'm very glad to hear that! The reason I posted this is the last week I must have heard 40-50+ commercials (radio) for giving to help the epidemic of veteran homelessness and I'd guess there were 3 different organizations. Now I've heard Habitat for Humanity is also doing something for homes for vets, which was another vector for using the "helping veteran's" issue to get people to give $$.

IDK if I made it clear enough, I'm not against helping vets in any way, I'm just wondering if many of the people making a big stink about the VA area either paid agitators (for whatever reason) or if they are trying to work the system in some way.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: DigginFoTroof
Well the per capita costs varies for you guys it ranges from
700$-3,000$.So quite a good chunk of change, I personally feel any one who serves their county should be looked after,it’s not a job many can do and it’s an essential one in order to maintain the status quo we all enjoy regardless of if we realize it or not.

Surly they could spend the funds better on the vets.
www.statemaster.com...

a reply to: Metallicus
I hear yea man I don’t aways agree with you but there is one thing I know for sure your a American through and through and love your country. I have no doubt you put in your share to help those that need. But I like you am some times sceptical just how much of what is given gets to those who truly need.

edit on 28-4-2018 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 07:45 PM
link   

the reason why it's rough to adjust after is because A none of your military experience matters in the civilian world (although unions NOW look for veterens for trade jobs) but also they don't want to discuss the damage that bootcamp does to the human psyche

guys go into bootcamp and come out totally different human beings

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 07:58 PM
link   
The VA hospitals all have a Social Welfare division. If a Veteran who is not afraid to go the VA hospital, he or she will find that all their needs can and will be met, even volunteering at a VA hospital. Most Vets don't even think of using a VA hospital for Social Services once out of the military. The homeless problem for none mentally disabled vets is that there are no jobs available and or the cost of rents doesn't make economic sense these days.

edit on 0400000054582018-04-28T19:58:54-05:00585404pm7 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:00 PM
link   

I was a homeless Vet at one time. A year and a half in San Antonio. On the streets on the East side.

Never asked for anything, worked it out on my own and now am pretty successful at what I do. I am now considered Upper middle class... ~gasp~

I was also a straight A student, an athlete and joined to serve my country, as everyone in my family since the civil war has, at least for a hitch or two.

First off, we joined to give something back to a country that had given us an opportunity to pursue happiness.

Secondly, we joined because it was how we, as a family, grow up after high school. The military is a lot better way to get wiser and kinder than a university. Although the majority of us finished our degrees through the armed forces.

Third and finally, we did it to learn a trade, come back to civilian life and apply it. Make a career of it.

In return, sometimes we die. We get shot, we crash, we get exploded. So weigh that in to the cost of "training" us. Sometimes we need help coming back to the reality? that is currently the USA. Mostly we can't handle it and suicide because we are no longer able to bridge between what we did and what we defended has become.

I find your entire post repugnant and am ashamed that a fellow human being can even think like that. We are the "dregs" of society?

I leave you with a video that you will not watch and I'm sorry I served for you.

edit on 28-4-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Some organizations are good, some have been exposed as frauds. As with all charities, do your diligence.

My family is military and we do support Wounded Warrior and other similar charities. I have heard a lot of horror stories about poorly run VA clinics and services and about veterans who were left with little to no resources.

Also... military pay ain't that great, particularly if you have a family.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Vets can get food and suits? Where at?

Btw, what branch were you in? What job did you have?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: toysforadults

Vets can get food and suits? Where at?

Btw, what branch were you in? What job did you have?

Wellllll.... retired generals can, y'know. I'm speaking from personal observation, there (but not personal experience.)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

the reason why it's rough to adjust after is because A none of your military experience matters in the civilian world (although unions NOW look for veterens for trade jobs) but also they don't want to discuss the damage that bootcamp does to the human psyche

guys go into bootcamp and come out totally different human beings

What complete BS!

First of all, military experience certainly does translate to the private sector!

The damage bootcamp does to the psyche? What in the HELL are you talking about?

Guys go into bootcamp and come out completely different? You are a liar and you never served in the military.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Retired Generals eh? Of course they can, because the 6 figure retirement fund means they can't afford food or suits!

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Your post is the most ignorant thing i've read in awhile.
It is not only downright insulting, it is actually just wrong on so many levels.

You say your main point is about charities asking for help for vets and their legitimacy, but all through your rant to proceed to insult the military members. Your very narrow view of seeing how the "boys" near Camp Pendleton spent their money, and your family members that served 4-8 years and had a big ol' party ---- is not reality for the vast majority of military members.

I grew up as a military child, and my dad served for over 30 years. Many of my friends are active duty, many are retired and wounded veterans. I would not classify one single person as "spoiled" in any sense of the word. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to the VA hospital, I wouldn't wish the military pay on any family. The sad thing is many military families rely on food stamps to make it. Many of the diseases and long term physical and mental illnesses are directly related to serving in the military.

Are some charities scammy, of course, do some people work the system, sure, but you could say that about anything and any sector.

To anyone that is a Vet, thank you so much for your service. I understand what a sacrifice you have made, what sacrifices your families have gone through. I understand that even after giving up your youth, your body, your health, and your mind, there are still people that question any little bit of help you might get.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I was in the Army in the 70's. I considered bootcamp to be quite fun. After I got to my duty station, everybody had the attitude of FTA, which means 'f^ck the army' and weren't very motivated except for a few. This was the opposite of what I expected from the Army. It was very depressing and many of the troops were drug addicts and/or alcoholics. I got out as soon as my enlistment was up.

After moving back home, I found life to be very difficult but I didn't give up. The economy in the 70's was about the same as it is today.
edit on 29-4-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 01:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Retired Generals eh? Of course they can, because the 6 figure retirement fund means they can't afford food or suits!

It's all those special interest groups and lobbyists wanting to wine and dine them (because most of them end up at corporations).

I'm kidding, here, but the number of retired top brass I've seen as vice presidents, etc, is ... well.. more numerous than the number of women I've seen in similar positions.)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:02 AM
link   

I understand why. The top brass have more than sufficient skills for those positions. Managed thousands of personnel under their command and administrative level supply chain management are just a few skills that most people don't have.

edit on 29-4-2018 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:14 AM
link   

The Words in Carly Simon's "Touched By The Sun" are Her Words.

Your name is DigginFoTroof. Well, I'll tell you the truth, OP. But not about what I think of your anti-American propaganda piece.

You dare cast down your protectors? "Not my president" is one thing. But "Not my heroes"? A man or woman will stand between you and Certain Death (or worse) only to have you question his or her past (or whatever irregularity you suspect), with that almost godly perception you possess? These are those touched by the sun.

I wish I could reveal to you--here, publicly--what I know about why our undeniably brave and honorable (it's not honorable for a person in danger of brief state hospitality to train, ship out and fight The Forces Of Darkness? even to the death?) vets should all be happy, healthy and prosperous in every way. Never regretting even one single moment of the greatest cause that the strong and the free can fight for: The United States of America. Because The United States of America is one and the same as the Western World and every Good thing and also our families...I could go on and on.

You are free to dig for truth and publish your results for everyone including god and government to suffer.

For all I know, DigginFoTroof, you are someone who can and will inspire us all. And out of respect to our troops and to the Light, I wouldn't touch your free speech, here or anywhere.

But (and mods, do what you think is right, I may be new here, but if I gotta go, I gotta go)- But your hit piece against the heroes thus defense capabilities of your country (I'm a Canadian, Canada is one of the USA's sister nations) made me cry tears of anger and frustration, because of the chaotic endgame picture it seems to portray.

You don't know who I am, all you devils of anarchy, so say what you want about me. But I swear to YOUR god (would that it were he existed); I promise you this: unless you support The United States of America and even Her (yes, the capitalization of 'Her' is right) poorest Defenders, I will consult with the God most High (the God that our Creator comes as)

'...and you don't want that'.

edit on 29-4-2018 by TheTruthAtLast because: To add '(the God that our Creator comes as)' to ...'unless you support The United States of America and even Her (yes, the capitalization of 'Her' is right) poorest Defenders, I will consult with the God most High", for accuracy.

top topics

join