It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Playstation/x-box or PC

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:19 AM
link   
PC all the way.

It's much more versatile than a console. You can upgrade things in your PC very easily.

You also can extend the life of games you play on the PC though the use of mods of those games, which gives you everything from making the game look better to extra content to play.

As several in this thread have said: You don't need a 1080 GPU, unless you have the money to blow. Unless you're a hard core gamer and insist on playing every game with it's settings to "Ultra". My AMD R9 270X works just fine for all the games I play, including Fallout 4, Mass Effect Andromeda, and quite a few others.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Why buy a PC ? You are only paying a lot for what they give you .
Do a DIY like I have done for 30+ years now
Buy the components (exactly what you want) and assemble it yourself . Way cheaper.
You learn while you do it as well
Buy a device or 2 at a time.

Save up for that AMD Ryzen and that Nvidia Titan - X

You are missing out....

edit on 4/29/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
PC all the way.

It's much more versatile than a console. You can upgrade things in your PC very easily.

You also can extend the life of games you play on the PC though the use of mods of those games, which gives you everything from making the game look better to extra content to play.

As several in this thread have said: You don't need a 1080 GPU, unless you have the money to blow. Unless you're a hard core gamer and insist on playing every game with it's settings to "Ultra". My AMD R9 270X works just fine for all the games I play, including Fallout 4, Mass Effect Andromeda, and quite a few others.

I run 2x 1080s in SLI
I like playing with power
The other system is a Titan - X ( I couldnt afford two at $1000 a pop)
Thats why you build your own system by buying it a little at a time...

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I have 2

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Exactly. Some games are actually better with the graphics settings turned down.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Woody510

PC is infinitely a better gaming experience if you can get into it. However, I've found that most people prefer consoles because they're easier to use.

Noobs...

Yea... you don't have to spend hours configuring and optimizing settings to play a damn game. Plus, consoles are much easier to play anywhere.

You don't need to study up on graphics cards, processors, other hardware, compatibility, finding updates, and more. You just plug in, auto update and play.

PC is the best gameplay experience, it just takes a lot of time and money. In my experience, it was a real f!cking hastle to enjoy a couple RTS games.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

originally posted by: Wide-Eyes
a reply to: Woody510

PC is infinitely a better gaming experience if you can get into it. However, I've found that most people prefer consoles because they're easier to use.

Noobs...

Yea... you don't have to spend hours configuring and optimizing settings to play a damn game. Plus, consoles are much easier to play anywhere.

You don't need to study up on graphics cards, processors, other hardware, compatibility, finding updates, and more. You just plug in, auto update and play.

PC is the best gameplay experience, it just takes a lot of time and money. In my experience, it was a real f!cking hastle to enjoy a couple RTS games.

And if the smallest thing goes out on in the console , in the trash it goes (or pay to have it repaired)
I have stock of common things like memory , hard drives on hand so if something goes out , I replace it in minutes and I am back up and gaming

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I am not that technical when it comes to computers so here I have some questions... Will installing more internal memory help with increasing the performance of a graphics card? Any idea if this intergrated graphics "cards" (Intel HD-video 630) of the new motherboards for the i7 8700 processor is of any use? What significant data other than memory must I look for to determine if a graphics "card" is competitive with any other?

edit on 30/4/2018 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

playstation 4 and get the game KILLZONE: SHADOWFALL

it is a darn good game. it takes a little bit to get acquainted with the functions but in the end it is a fun action packed game.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I've been a loyal xbox user since the 360's early days.
Went through 3 360's,
and last night my xbox one died so I am going to go ahead and get the xbox one x now.

This will be the 2nd xbox one but the fist one x.
I really hope they go vr down the road.
It is that hope (and all of the money I have spent over the years on digital downloads) that keeps me from a PS4.

I am also going to invest in a VR ready computer sometime in the next month or two.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 08:04 PM
link   
PC, every time, without hesitation.

I did give the Xbox One a shot though, and really did love my 360s, the PlayStations, GameCube(!), and going further back.

With the latest consoles and the changes in OC gaming, I just didn't see much reason to keep the Xbox One. For my needs, it didn't do a single thing better than my PC and was significantly limited in many others. The only thing that might have kept me from returning it was the 4k player, but it was plagued with issues.

With PC, I think there a lot of misconceptions and bad info that will simply never go away, for whatever reason.
edit on 30-4-2018 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: zatara

I have Xbox One X, gamer TAG iplay1up2, theXbox One X is the most powerful console now, with about 40% more powe than the PS4Pro. So almost all 3RD party games run better on X than Pro.

Sony has more exclusive content, but I wanted power and performance, and that's what I got.

Also the X1X has a 4k Blu Ray player PS4 only has regular BLU RAY.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Qa reply to: Serdgiam

I have xbox one x, and its fantastic. The 4K Blu Ray player works great. Also the games run every bit as well as a high end PC.

posted on May, 12 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
Qa reply to: Serdgiam

I have xbox one x, and its fantastic. The 4K Blu Ray player works great. Also the games run every bit as well as a high end PC.

What games??

Serious question what exclusives are you playing that you can’t get on other systems?

Sure the specs on the x are impressive but unless you also have a 4K tv they are not that noticeable. So after that you have to look at the games, this is about games not specs. I think Microsoft gave forgotten that

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
So, I wonder... what should motivate me to buy a 1000 euro+ PC ..if I want to play these latest games on it. Or why not buy a cheap computer for the basic computer stuff and use the rest of the money to buy a playstation or X-Box.

While at it...what should be the better choice.. a playstation or a x-box?

Zat ~

Ultimately, apart from console exclusives, your motivation should be that a PC can do anything a console can, but the reverse is not true.

Also, it bears mentioning that you don't NEED a 1080 to be upward compatible, its likely a 1060 gtx will last quite awhile.

posted on May, 13 2018 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: zatara
a reply to: Allaroundyou

I am not that technical when it comes to computers so here I have some questions... Will installing more internal memory help with increasing the performance of a graphics card?

Nope. Only time that might be true, is if you have shared video memory which leads to your next question...

Any idea if this intergrated graphics "cards" (Intel HD-video 630) of the new motherboards for the i7 8700 processor is of any use?

Integrated GPU's typically use a shared memory architecture...meaning that the system RAM is used for paging of the video, or with respect to your last question, adding more RAM would slightly improve the performance of video functions. Ultimately though, integrated chips are the absolute worst option if framerate performance is what you're after.

What significant data other than memory must I look for to determine if a graphics "card" is competitive with any other?

The amount of VRAM or video memory, these days anything 3 gigabyte or greater should suit you well, often you would see things like "GDDR(some numbers)" wich typically reflects the bus speed of that VRAM - general speaking the higher that number, the better (aka smoother) the framerate. But with that in mind, the clock speed of the DAC or RAMDAC, basically the digital addressable controller...

just as an aid, here shows a comparison of 3 different cards

In this example, some things are important. The NVIDIA CUDA cores, just a 101 on what that means, I'm sure you've heard of dual-core or quad core processing for the CPU, which basically relates to the ability to parallel process functions. In the case of a GPU, they may have thousands of cores and the more they have, the more they can process seamlessly.

The frame buffer relates directly to the amount of VRAM installed on the card...again the more memory a card has on it, the more that can be paged in and out of it's memory, thus amounting to higher framerates.

Finally at the bottom you'll see the clock speed, measured in MHz or megahertz. Anything over 1000 is technically a gigahertz, but that's semantics. The higher the number the faster it goes.....

The memory speed is important, but in this example the difference between 8 Gbps (gigabits per second) versus 7 Gbps would likely be difficult to notice unless you were playing extremely FPS (frames per second) heavy game.

posted on Jun, 8 2018 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

I said "screw The Xbox!" and went for a PC and vive.
PC works great!
Vive is on it's way.

Old xbox 1 still works, was a power supply issue.

First game for VR will probably be Minecraft since I already have it,
then skyrim,although fallout 4 comes with the vive.
hmm..
forgot about that.

posted on Jun, 11 2018 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Something I noticed with my new PC...
there are a lot of Alienware haters out there.

lol

posted on Jun, 13 2018 @ 08:38 AM
link   
So I got my new computer last week, an Alienware R7.
Got my HTC vive yesterday,
and when I was setting up the system I suddenly realized when it came time to hook the headset up that there is only one hdmi port into my graphics card! Talk about frustrating!
I was all pumped about getting into the VR scene but now I have to wait another week for a hdmi/dp converter piece.

Word to the wise if you buy a high end computer for VR,
make sure it has two hdmi ports into the PC on the video card or you will need a DP cord/converter.

SO now I have to wait for the things I really wanted to get into.

Frustrating.....

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join