It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Major" Announcement on Hypersonics in the Near Future

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:57 PM
link   

The real news of today’s event is that we can expect an important announcement in a few weeks that “a significant acceleration is doable” of the Air Force’s hypersonic efforts. Roper said he’d completed a review of all the service’s work on hypersonic, one of the Pentagon’s top priorities.

breakingdefense.com...

Dr Will Roper[1], the assistant secretary for the us air force for acquisitions, is playing the tease. He threw that out there for BD and wouldn't explain bubbkiss about what he meant. No details. No time frame other than 'a few weeks' which, in my experience, could be a year or two down the line.

I'm going to speculate it is an accelerated weapons procurement: they have a missile ready or near ready. The reason they do, I'm guessing, is because they finally had the material science breakthrough to allow long distance hypersonic flight. Maybe not air breathing, but even so.

It's possible it might be something bigger, but I doubt it.

So. This is EXACTLY the sort of crap, ahem, stuff that ATS' aviation enthusiasts love to speculate about. So, have at it!

WHAT WILL HE ANNOUNCE?!

1. www.af.mil...

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Behave or I'll start demoing how to cause perma traffic jams with self driving cars.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Meh, we're planning on hanging up the keys soon anyway, so go for it.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Quite the mad science here. So why is he a doctor again?

Is doctor a new word for scientist/engineer?

Time to call Dr. Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer for some answers why he deserve to be a doctor based on his education.

edit on 27-4-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:11 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

He got a PhD...in math. That means wicked smaht.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Self driving cars can find you...anywhere. ;P

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

He got a PhD...in math. That means wicked smaht.

So doctor is a new word for Mathematician or Inventor?
I'm genuinely confused now. Should I call him for help if I got shot?

I don't know what Idiocy this is, but America is sure turning into Idiocracy.

I need a doctor to do surgeries for my bullet wound, help!

edit on 27-4-2018 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Anyone with a PhD or an MD is entitled to be called Dr.

PhD literally means Doctorate of Philosophy. MD means medical doctor. etc.

Surely you knew that...

en.wikipedia.org...

This is world wide and not new.

edit on 27-4-2018 by anzha because: added link

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Dr Dre seems to be doing OK?

Do you think a hypersonic missile is easier than a hypersonic aircraft?

I'm thinking that something like manoeuvring a missile at those speeds is simpler than an aircraft, but at some point pretty far from an enemy aircraft, it will have no turn radius so how useful are they?

Perhaps a SAM or Cruise Missile?

What about a hypersonic delivery vehicle with shorter range, highly manoeuvrable missiles to split up any formations?

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 04:54 AM
link   
Here's a link to a PDF file that might explain a lot about what Roper is talking about.
Hypersonic-magneto-aerodynamics

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 06:40 AM
link   
my speculation is that they are ready to roll out and reveal that we might be further along in hypersonics for both missiles and aircraft than the USA has been playing at.

and I think one of the big breakthroughs has been in the realm of power full yet light weight magnets l, not just materials that can withstand hypersonic airflow related complications in thicker atmosphere. and that the technologies are scaleable for big and small and dovetail very nicely with other non hypersonic related technologies and applications

I know, I know...bass is crazy and naive

on a side note was at Clemson University's ICAR campus the other day and saw a self driving car for the first time. I was like wtf.
edit on 28-4-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Anyone with a PhD or an MD is entitled to be called Dr.

PhD literally means Doctorate of Philosophy. MD means medical doctor. etc.

Surely you knew that...

en.wikipedia.org...

This is world wide and not new.

Lastly, the literal definition of 'Doctor' is a teacher.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap
Quite the mad science here. So why is he a doctor again?

Is doctor a new word for scientist/engineer?

Time to call Dr. Otmar Freiherr von Verschuer for some answers why he deserve to be a doctor based on his education.

I always thought that the Doctor was a time traveller with a little blue box?!?!

This is a interesting development, I imagine it's more to do with missiles than aircraft though.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:35 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

i have seen magnets with power levels far over 5T that were built by hand and cleaver arrangement, here is one that LANL linkthat is a hair over 100T. obviously you wouldn't need a field that strong but it is roughly as big as a man, so i wonder what they could squeeze into an aircraft or weapon

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Edit: would a project like this take place at Palmdale?

Curious as to whats being built at Palmdale. Yesterday for the first time I watched a JANET 737 go from Las Vegas to Palmdale. I'm used to seeing the the Beech 1900 make daily flights, but not the 737.

What's coming....

edit on 28-4-2018 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

The B-21. Primary assembly is at Palmdale. Northrop just built a large new building for the RAM coating application. Palm isn't a regular stop for Janet but they've been seen there many times.
edit on 4/28/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Thank you

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

the doctors main area of expertise is in missiles. so you may be right about the announcement. but lol a little deeper into the subject and realize there are potentially far greater implications technology and capability wise

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 03:15 PM
link   
'Doctor' is a lessor rank to professor, as in Professor Dr Alice Roberts, actual lady, actual tittles. (English)
It means the person has a doctorate in what ever subject the person studied, I think, it show the peson passed the exams.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join