It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mary and the nature of knowledge.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Mary lives in a black and white room, reads black and white books, and uses screens that only display images in black and white to learn everything that has ever been discovered about color vision in physics and biology. One day, her computer screen breaks and displays the color red. For the first time, she sees color.

Question: Does she learn anything new?

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: DpatC

She learns what red looks like.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Is this suppose to be profound?

Yeah.....she learns what red actually looks like......unless shes colorblind....

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yes, she jumps up as says “holy $4it!, color!!!”. “And who has had me locked up in a room with no color, making me learn about color!”

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
No you stated she learned everything already including what other colours are she just see’s red

a reply to: DpatC

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Mary learns that what she only believes is necessary or real is not the only thing that is necessary and real. Seeing the whole picture is crucial in proper development of wisdom. Even if she did not see red...red exists in the world and needs to be considered. Lots of people are blind of the big picture and our vision does not give us recognition of everyting that exists, only what our eyes and minds can comprehend.

Ok, so Mary was seeing red now, seems funny she did not know that color already with that time of the month coming around.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 03:00 PM
link   
How does she know what she is seeing is red? The screen is not telling her and she's never seen red before. At best she's seeing another hue of black and white. If she was intuitive enough to realize she was seeing a color, she might as easily think it was blue.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It'd be interesting to know if her brain could match the red colour to the shade of grey representing red on the black and white colour spectrums she would have looked at while learning about colour. Hmm also what about her own body? im assuming this is not also black and white

Also what's your definition of learning something new? Do you mean abstract knowledge or experience or do you mean that she would retain memories of a new concept. Would what she learned have to be accurate? You can learn false or wrong things as well as truths. Is there ever really a time when your brain isn't learning something new? Your brain is constantly taking in information and adapting itself. I imagine that first time seeing colour a whole bunch of neurons fired up and new pathways formed in the brain. Would you count this as learning?

Or is this more a metaphorical question pertaining to the idea of being able to learn everything about a subject without actually being immersed in it?

edit on 27/4/2018 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:23 PM
link   
No, her brain would not see the color red, it would see it as black.. Just like some natives living in the jungle don’t see the color blue, they see it as green.. In fact no one ever saw the color blue before the Egyptians, it didn’t exist.. Even the sky was black back then, during the day..

It’s all a matter of what the brain has learned to see, not be told or educated about..

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quauhtli
No, her brain would not see the color red, it would see it as black.. Just like some natives living in the jungle don’t see the color blue, they see it as green.. In fact no one ever saw the color blue before the Egyptians, it didn’t exist.. Even the sky was black back then, during the day..

It’s all a matter of what the brain has learned to see, not be told or educated about..

If thats the case then how is that people who have been color blind for years , when paired with new tech in glasses, can finally see real colors and distinguish them? They know what they ARE........but have never seen them.......

And yet they do when they put these glasses on for the first time.....

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Lots of people are blind of the big picture and our vision does not give us recognition of everyting that exists, only what our eyes and minds can comprehend.

For some reason this line from Mark 4:22 came to mind - "For nothing is hidden, except to be revealed; nor has anything been secret, but that it would come to light"
I'm not a bible prophet but your post hit a cord

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Quauhtli

That is almost like the story of ancient people/indians/aztecs that couldn't see a huge ship approaching their shores because their brain couldn't comprehend what they were seeing. It took a shaman to slowly point out the waves the ships were making, slowly leading them to being able to see the ship itself.

I wonder how many things are around us that we simply ignore because we have no basis upon which to examine them?

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

I've been color blind my whole life. I've never even heard of these glasses. Could you post a link?

Don't know too much about the subject but I thought at least some forms of color blindness were due to just not having the required receptors in the eye.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

How could she suddenly get the color red to display on a black and white screen? It is not possible.

She probably learned that her computer was on fire.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 09:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: toms54

I've been color blind my whole life. I've never even heard of these glasses. Could you post a link?

Don't know too much about the subject but I thought at least some forms of color blindness were due to just not having the required receptors in the eye.

Hey tom, here you go buddy hope this helps!!!

Glasses for the colorbind

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Thank you.

new topics

top topics

join