It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Ryan Forces House Chaplain to Resign - Reportedly for GOP Tax Bill Prayer

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: KansasGirl

Boom what? Please explain member of the peanut gallery. Are you also a subscribing to Muslims are taking over the US bigoted insanity?

Oh sorry, don't let me point out that people are saying dumb stuff on the Internet lest I be admonished for my "Muslim apologist mentality" by unhinged bigots living in a fantasy world.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
"" with sources in both parties ""

love it

"" Four different sources — two from each party — say ""

love it more

"" A Democratic lawmaker said ""

and more

This is big

💡

It is hilarious that you would even dare to question a source. LMAO
edit on 26-4-2018 by donnydeevil because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Outlier13
a reply to: theantediluvian

Bro, bro...please take your Islam apologist mentality and trek on over to the ME and then ask one of their clerics if you can lead their convocation in a prayer in the name of the Christian god. Then come back and let us know how that went for ya.

You are NAIVE if you think this isn't part of the plan for Muslims to infiltrate and eventually take over the US government. It's been in play for years bro.

But bro...do you even conspiracy bro?

There just maybe some plan to infiltrate but they are too late, the right wing Christians have had more time to infiltrate society and they are just as hateful. This country has dealt with their kind of religion before and I hope they have learned from it, lynchings, killing those who dared to disagree with them and many other atrocities.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 12:03 AM
link   

***Attention Please***

Please keep discussions about music in the music threads rather than derailing political threads with off-topic trivia.

It isn't fair to those who post threads or those interested in the topic. It's also a T&C no-no.

Please continue and do not reply to this post.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 01:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

Boom what? Please explain member of the peanut gallery. Are you also a subscribing to Muslims are taking over the US bigoted insanity?

Oh sorry, don't let me point out that people are saying dumb stuff on the Internet lest I be admonished for my "Muslim apologist mentality" by unhinged bigots living in a fantasy world.

I was agreeing with the sentiment of his post. This is an Internet forum, so we are all members of the peanut gallery here, by the way. You are the peanut gallery too.

I don't say that Muslims are taking over. But we have gone out of our way in this country to absolutely TIPTOE around anything Muslim. When a crazy ass white male goes and shoots up a church, the MSM is all over his Christian ties, if he had one. But if a Muslim mows down 20 people with a mini-van, the news won't mention his Muslim background, and woe to the bigot who points it out, right?

Do you honestly not find it strange how incredibly sensitive people are to any, even the slightest criticism, of anything Muslim? It doesn't give you even the slightest pause? Again- not saying Muslims are taking over the country (and I'm also not saying they're not), but isn't it at least worthy of a thought?

What are you so angry about, man?

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Oh. Nooooow the left cares about Christianity. Ok lol.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:24 AM
link   

You are in fact an Islam apologist and it is clearly stated within your OP. You are the one insinuating Ryan is prejudiced against Islam based on your Imam statement. Whereby you chastise Ryan over an unsubstantiated claim regarding said Imam and call for his resignation or firing makes you an apologist for Islam. You are defending something controversial.

Now that I've educated you on the correct application of my labeling you an "Islam apologist" let me educate you on your incorrect labeling me as an "Islamaphobe" and your incorrect use of the word "bigot".

To be a "phobe" you have to be prejudiced. To be prejudiced you have to lack reason or first hand experience with whatever word you are using that ends in "phobe". In this case you use "Islamaphobe". Not only do I apply exceptional reason to Islam I have many years of first hand exposure and experience with Islam in the ME. Therefore my conclusions of Islam are based on real world, first hand experience.

A bigot is a person who is intolerant of another who holds a differing view point to their own. You are clearly triggered in your post based on your incorrect usage of "Islamaphobe", "bigot", and your lack of awareness in your own OP as being an Islam apologist.

I'm surprised at your very narrow thinking that in order for an Islamist mindset to rule you somehow equate that with Islam needing to become the majority of a population. All that is required is for an Islamist mindset to be in a position of power and influence. When were the first Imam's allowed to lead prayer over US government proceedings and within the National Cathedral? Who was the active administration? When did this all begin? Who was and continues to this day to be the number one advocate for Islam in the US? Maybe you should educate yourself on the doctrines of the Muslim Brotherhood and what they have done and are willing to do in order to take control.

You can deny all you want but that doesn't make it any less real.

edit on 27-4-2018 by Outlier13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 02:41 AM
link   

I love the irony in that you enjoy becoming unhinged and insulting people like Kansas Girl but the moment someone give you back some of your own medicine you report them and have their post removed. Who said Muslims were taking over the US? You are lacking in your reading comprehension. Islam is the doctrine. A Muslim is someone who claims to subscribe to said doctrine. Go back and re-read my post to you before you go all fake news on here. I said "taking over the US government". You don't have to take over the population by numbers to have control. You mean to tell me you don't know this? Hmmm...

People saying dumb stuff on the Internet? You would know....lol.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

sounds like most of your threads.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 04:07 AM
link   

My question is how are we supposed to rationalize the idea of the separation of church and state with a House title of Chaplain? We can't even pray silently to ourselves in a public school but they can pray on the House floor?

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 06:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

not really, what I am saying is that it's how you are interpreting his words and his motives for saying them that is making it sound political. they could be interpreted in different ways.
as far as why he was fired really, heck, maybe he's so danged tired of the craziness, of which this thread shows a great example of, that he begged god to get him the heck out of the viper's den and god answered his prayer?

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 06:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Actually, as a Chaplain, it is precisely his job to represent the interests of Christ, God and the Holy Spirit on Earth.

Now, me, I think that is every Christians duty, not just those in robes and dog collars. I personally disagree with the existence of priests, bishops, popes and what have you, because all human hierarchy is toxic and unacceptable to me in a fundamental way.

However, it must be said that if one is going to go down the path of entering into the clergy, no matter what other oaths, loyalties and responsibilities one may have, ones FIRST duty is to God, not to ones position, not to the leadership of a country, nor to its politicians or codes of conduct relating to avoiding this sort of speech or that. His first and only duty is to God, and with that in mind, he succeeded, did not fail, and should not be punished in any way for that.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Who told you someone couldn't pray silently and to themselves in public school? They are mistaken.

As far as I know, there are no laws preventing ANYONE from PRAYING anywhere silently to themselves.

The SCHOOL cannot proselytize. But students are not the government. They can do as they wish.
edit on 27-4-2018 by MiddleInsite because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-4-2018 by MiddleInsite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

You make a valid point TrueBrit but then you contradict yourself at the very end of your post by saying the priest should not be punished. In full disclosure I am not picking a fight or being trivial here. I agree with what you wrote about a man of God's first loyalty is to his God. Christianity and Islam are very different in both their doctrines and ideologies. I agree 100% with your asserting a man of the cloth's first allegiance is to his God. By allowing an Imam to lead a prayer whose very ideology preaches to kill those who are not of Muslim faith is a direct contradiction to the Christian God the priest is beholden to. Granted at one point in the past Christians too proclaimed all those who do not follow the Christian faith should be killed as well. However, the Christian faith changed from the Old Testament to the New Testament which is where "turn the other cheek" is derived. Islam does not preach indifference or acceptance unless you are a Muslim.

Therefore this Christian man of God directly contravened the very ideology he espouses by allowing an Imam to lead a prayer in the name of Allah. For that he is guilty and as such IMO should be punished.

A bit off-topic but we could get into the past and present day interpretation of Islam based on multiple versus from the Quran, however, I think it would serve no purpose. What we do see today in it's most egregious form is radical form of Islam played out on an international level. In 2014 the Imam who led a prayer of the House of Representatives was found later to have ties to radical Muslim groups who preached the death of anyone considered an infidel.

Candidly, if the killings of non-Muslims ( and Muslims by ISIS ) by radicalized Muslims ceased worldwide such as what we have seen in the US, Canada, France, Syria, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Sierra Leone, etc. and Islam were reformed into a peaceful religion and was willing to undergo a change such that Christianity saw moving from the Old Testament to the New Testament then I would honestly have no problem with an Imam leading a prayer within a US government proceeding. It is truly the only way to prove and show to your contemporaries your acceptance.

Sadly, this is not the case and as such was a very poor move on the part of the priest.

FWIW I have zero religious belief in a higher power. I've never believed in the traditional concept of any singular god or entity. I am spiritual but not in the traditional sense.

posted on Apr, 27 2018 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

To be honest, I don't think we actually know for sure why he left, beyond partisan reporting. Heck, he might have been caught with his zipper down and we would not know.

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 08:26 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

Paul Ryan is a Progressive though.

No, Paul Ryan is not a progressive.

We can't let these religious people have any say in anything in government!!!! Screw natural law and anything the Founders really thought... we can rewrite that!

What are you talking about? Paul Ryan's a practicing Catholic (pretending anyway) and the chaplain will be replaced with a new one 1 Ryan's appointed two congressmen to find one.

You literally just decided to call Paul Ryan a progressive so that you could imagine a whole narrative that has nothing to do with reality and blame it on progressives.

Lmao.

Paul Ryan is a progressive. See the Omnibus spending bill. Read it. Try to understand it, through the haze of "hate trump, HATE Trump, hate TRUMP" episode that you are currently going through.

Then understand that he says things to be popular but his actions say something else entirely.

He's just like you!

Edited to add, since you have been so polarized by the Trump Abnormality, do you think that the last Bush was not a Progressive as well?

So you research deep but think shallow?

edit on 28-4-2018 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2018 @ 09:04 PM
link   
what's ironic is that the party that's all so concerned about religious freedom, the one that wants to put god and religion back in school, may have just fired their chaplain because they didn't like the words he said in a prayer!!! lol... they didn't like him praying that god would give them wisdom!!!
if anyone is wondering why religion and god shouldn't be part of a school instruction, why they shouldn't have led prayers in school,..... well here's you answer!!!
it wouldn't be long afterwards, we'd all be bickering over just what words should or shouldn't be said in the prayer and what should or shouldn't be taught about god!! and just like religious freedom flew out the window for the chaplain, who ended up having a few high powered congressmen telling him he was praying wrong, religious freedom would fly out the window for us... as we had to accept a brand of christianity being taught to us, which, even if we were christians, we might not agree with.

but, I heard a different reason today as to why he was fired... they wanted a family man, thus eliminating any priests from the catholic church from the job... sorry, catholics, but you might not be the preferred brand!! your children might find themselves being taught that they weren't baptised right because they were babies when they were and they weren't nearly drowned in the process if they go to the future public schools in a conservative world.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 04:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Outlier13

Outlier,

With regard to the chaplains choice to allow an Imam to lead a prayer, I think your "interpretation" of that event is skewed somewhat. The first thing one is taught about Christ, about God, is that Our Lord, whether we speak of the Father or the Son, is a being of love, a being of peace. Peace requires community, shared experience, promoting shared respect. Anyone familiar with the history of Christianity will be aware, that there have been many times where Christian leaders either shunned people, simply for being from other faiths, or even recommended their MURDER by whatever state they had the ear of, or the reigns of, at any one time.

This barbarous approach was not only anti-christian in its outworking, being far more dedicated to the growth of the arch enemy, than it ever was to the word, honour and glory of Christ, but as a result, poisoned great swathes of the worlds population against the Christian, and therefore against Christ. The chaplain knows this, I would wager, and elected to allow the service to be taken by the Imam, to illustrate to people of all faiths that it is NOT the business of true believers in Christ, to murder outright those who do not take up the cross for their own, that it is NOT the definition of Christian, to be intolerant of others beliefs, that hate and bigotry are NOT tools legitimately carried, nor vestments easily worn about the shoulders of believers in Christ.

He probably did more for Christianity in America by doing that, than any televangelist has achieved in twenty years. His move not only showed that Christianity is not the vile thing that some of its adherents have attempted to turn it into over the generations since the death of Christ, but also offered the Imam in question an opportunity to show during the service, that Islam, like Christianity, is not a thing unto itself, but what the individual believer makes of it.

In short, it serves the interests, motivations and noble heart of Christ, to spread as much peace and community on this world as can be, and I think a gesture like the Chaplain extended to other faith leaders, is entirely in keeping with that.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join