It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian jamming EC-130 in Syria

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:47 PM
link   

“Right now in Syria we are operating in the most aggressive EW environment on the planet from our adversaries. They are testing us everyday, knocking our communications down, disabling our EC-130s, etcetera,” Gen. Raymond Thomas told an audience of some 2,000 intelligence professionals.

breakingdefense.com...

I'm screaming right now. I meant the title to read "Russian jamming EC-130 in Syria." And you can't edit a title!

edit on 26-4-2018 by gariac because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/26/18 by FredT because: title edited for clarity

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

Ummm the Russians do not have an EC-130...............

LOL I fixed the title. T

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:57 PM
link   
So i looking at this they are not jaming the misison packages per se but rather going after the navigation/data links etc. This is one of the reasons they still teach basic and advanced navigation. However, it would reduce effectiveness of say an AC-130 gunship if it can't figure out where to hit.

Also drones seem to be all over and none that we know of have been effected.

This could also explain the almost daily presence of an RQ-4 and the IAI G-V's we keep seeing up as well

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

Ummm the Russians do not have an EC-130...............

LOL I fixed the title. T

Hah. I never knew the title could be fixed by a moderator.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Full title from your linked article is (as of my post, and apparently they updated the article too).

Russia Widens EW War, ‘Disabling’ EC-130s OR AC-130s In Syria

Interesting, but not surprising that Russia is engaging us with EW in the region.

I'm kind of surprised that EW isn't pushing the limits to an actual exchange of munitions, especially since Congress passed the bill a few years ago saying that EW/hacking can be viewed as a direct attack.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

Actually, the Russians have been jamming the smaller drones. It has been causing issues.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:11 PM
link   
trajectorymagazine.com...

The pdf has coverage of the event. I'm still looking for a recording.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:23 PM
link   

They've been jamming the smaller UAVs for about a month or two now. They haven't tried against the larger Reaper class aircraft, but they've been hitting the RQ-7s and those size hard for awhile now.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Here is the talk.

www10.giscafe.com...

I haven't listened to it to find the relevant part. (TBD)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They've been jamming the smaller UAVs for about a month or two now. They haven't tried against the larger Reaper class aircraft, but they've been hitting the RQ-7s and those size hard for awhile now.

"IF' we haven't been responding in kind, then we must be learning a lot about their technologies very quickly.

Rope-a-dope?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

SEAD missions always seem like a double edged sword to me, you have to use your radar to find the aircraft and you have to use the EW on said aircraft to trick that radar, and that's not even getting in to actual physical attacks.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

They might be more of a problem, since if a full understanding of the way a Reaper works, falls into the hands of an enemy, theirs no reason that if it flies on one target from launch, it can be turned around to bomb its point of origin.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

Except that Reapers don't fly autonomously. They're under human control the entire flight, and have no option for autonomous flight, so that's not possible.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:09 PM
link   
What is confusing me about this is that Wikipedia states that the EC-130 was retired and replaced by E8-jastars and E-3 awacks back in 2002. Are they or are they not still being used?

en.wikipedia.org...
. The EC-130E ABCCC aircraft were retired in 2002 and the mission was 'migrated' to the E-8 JSTARS and E-3 AWACS fleets.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:37 PM
link   

You could only have to listen 9 minutes into the video. He says AC-130. But EC-130 would make more sense. I always though of the AC-130 as a low tech weapon, but what do I know. ;-)

The talk is the kind of thing that Alex Jones will blow all out of proportion. (You have been warned.)

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: penroc3
a reply to: nwtrucker

SEAD missions always seem like a double edged sword to me, you have to use your radar to find the aircraft and you have to use the EW on said aircraft to trick that radar, and that's not even getting in to actual physical attacks.

One would think with the F-22s on scene, passive systems would used, at least for detection.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlesT

Different EC-130. There have been several over the years. That one was an airborne command post. This one is the EC-130H/J Compass Call.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 09:53 PM
link   

They're jamming comms on the ACs. They're low tech weapons but if you can't talk to the JTAC and identify the target even low tech weapons become useless.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

So a clone joystick and display wouldn't do anything?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

They would have to have the software to get access, be able to jam the incoming signal from our operators, while allowing their signal through, which is at best extremely difficult to do since it would have to be the same frequency, and then have a cloned operating station to take control. It isn't impossible to do, but it would be damn difficult, even for us to do, let alone someone who doesn't have access to our systems.
edit on 4/26/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join