It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Probability in Quantum Mechanics point to Parallel Universes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I say yes.

First, let's look at classical probability. This is very easy to understand. You take a pair of dice, and there's a probability that you will roll a 2-12. So, the outcomes that can occur are predetermined but what outcomes will occur are random with each roll of the dice. We also know that as you roll the dice, you're more likely to see more 7's than 2's because there's more ways to roll a 7 than there is to roll a 2.

It's just like Poker hands. There's 3,744 combinations that give you a Full House and 54,912 combinations that give you a 3 of as kind. So overtime, you're likely to see more 3 of a kinds than Full House hands. This is why a Full House is more valuable in the game of Poker.

So like I said, classical Probability is easy to understand generally. There's things like conditional Probability and other areas that get people confused but generally, it's easy to understand.

This brings us to Quantum Mechanics.

Probability shows up in the equations of QM and it has turned the Scientific community on it's head. Einstein and others hated this. You have to think how things changed. Science went from Newton and a universe that could be fully known just by plugging in Newton's equations to an uncertain, non local universe with Probability at the heart of the theory. Overtime, the theory has just gotten stronger and given us the modern world.

Here's Brian Greene talking about this.

Probability is found in the equations of QM. It seems to be fundamental and there's nothing behind this Probability. Some said we should just shut up and calculate. This Probability just represents our ignorance and I think that might be true.

The way I look at it is, the wave function is multidimensional and therefore quantum states exist in universes like ours and similar to ours. We can only see things from our limited 3D perspective, so we can't see all of these quantum states at one time. We can just measure one aspect of these quantum states from moment to moment.

So say you have a billion universes. The wave function and these quantum states would exist in all of these universes. Say the wave function records which measurements occurred in these universes. We're the billion and one universe. We can only observe our universe, so we only get Probabilities based on what measurements have occurred.

So in these billion universes, 60% of the time a measurement in this quantum state was spin up and 40% of the time the measurement was spin down. We're isolated in our universe, therefore we only get the probabilities that can occur.

This is the only thing that makes sense to me. We don't need String Theory and 10^500 false vacua or inflation which says every conceivable space occurs.

This is just simple Probability.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I look at it like this. I move left and a parallel me moves right and so on an so forth. Eventually the left and right me do things that become parallel and it evens out. The whole Quantum Conundrum evens out eventually stopping the whole space time and space continuum; then it resets and continues. We never can observe it ever/never. This is why inter-space time convergence could be possible, but we would never know of it if we did it.
It's just that way.

edit on 25-4-2018 by Disenchanted1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

I think we are seeing probability in QC because the machine itself uses a specific language and system for its every action.

I think language is the key to AI, QC, and even psychic ability. The way things are said is important.

Time can be relative in language so information from the future can be accessible to the past and vice versa.

Everything seamlessly integrating into everything outside of spacetime.
edit on 4 25 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 10:34 PM
link   

How about you show us some proof if it does?

As of now the possibilities seem infinite. ✌

S&F for sparking one of humanities greatest discussions.
edit on 25-4-2018 by Illumimasontruth because: Pizza and beanie babies

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Oh this is so interesting. At the one hand we have cause and effect and at the other Probability ,Randomness.

It seems to be fundamental and there's nothing behind this Probability. Some said we should just shut up and calculate. This Probability just represents our ignorance and I think that might be true.

Scientist saying STFU and just accept it as it is. I completely agree that Probability shows us the lack in the theory.

In QM a particle can be at 2 positions at the same time. Particles and energy can come out of nothing. Which is kinda weird. But in real life that isn't possible. I've never quite understood where QM ends and CM starts.

In my own opinion QM is A Theory that describes physical processes (very good).
However I find it hard to believe that there is only 1 theory that describes these processes. Mathematical there might be more theories that describe the same but differ at a certain point . (A bit like relativity becomes Newton at low speed ). Probability might be the point where QM is failing and another theory is necessary.

QuantumResearch

Horror Vacui and probability maybe lead to an augmented QM.

edit on 4262018 by frenchfries because: link added

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I would rather be lucky than good anyday.

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: frenchfries

Good points.

I think Probability shows that there are other universes and other dimensions we can't see. We're hardwired to see our universe in 3D.

What QM is telling us is these quantum states exists in multiple dimensions. We can't see these extra dimensions from our limited 3D perspective, so the wave function shields us from seeing the Quantum State in it's multidimensional totality.

You can have a universe where they send "particles" through 2 slits and they get a pattern where they see the "particles" go through both slits as a particle. If you add a third slit, they get an interference pattern. So in this universe it's called the triple slit experiment.
edit on 29-4-2018 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Thanks for explaining.

But the real problem is were stops QM and starts classical mechanica ? At a atom , a molecuul or marco molecuul ?
Or is there no clear boundary ?
I still find it weird that the fundamentals of reality are so magickal in nature. Superposition can only mean that there are many universes and alternate realities...

top topics

join