It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USN looking at extending the life of the Nimitz class beyond 50 years

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:23 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I love the way they word some of the things in that. Such as:

The Nimitz Class is armed with 16–24 RIM-7 Sea Sparrows or NATO Sea Sparrow missiles, three to four Phalanx Close-In Weapons Systems or RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missiles. The Ford Class will carry two Mk. 29 missile launchers, two Rolling Airframe Missile launchers, and four Phalanx Close-In Weapon Systems.

They try to make it sound like the Nimitz is better protected, when the opposite is true.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I love the way they word some of the things in that. Such as:

The Nimitz Class is armed with 16–24 RIM-7 Sea Sparrows or NATO Sea Sparrow missiles, three to four Phalanx Close-In Weapons Systems or RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missiles. The Ford Class will carry two Mk. 29 missile launchers, two Rolling Airframe Missile launchers, and four Phalanx Close-In Weapon Systems.

They try to make it sound like the Nimitz is better protected, when the opposite is true.

I know it's not a great comparison but at least it's something. I was surprised the Ford wasn't faster, must be a limit to how fast a big long ship can go.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 12:39 PM
link   

They're faster than that. The Navy considers ship top speeds to be second on their list of secrets behind the shape of their props.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They're faster than that. The Navy considers ship top speeds to be second on their list of secrets behind the shape of their props.

Rumors are that the Enterprise was so overpowered with its 8 reactors (albeit each much smaller than the Nimitz class) the propulsion plant was capable of driving the ship to speeds that the hull could not handle.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

It did seem like the Carriers got to South Korea faster than I expected when NK was doing their long range launches. I thought one came from the West Coast to SK.

I wonder what Goodies they have planned for the Ford's power output?

posted on Apr, 26 2018 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: donktheclown

Well yeah... Humans going extinct certainly would change things...

Posting stuff like this in the military forums is akin to actually having a tattoo artist ink STUPID on your forehead.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join