It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The modern church is gnostic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Bible studies, preaching, theology...if whatever version of the bible is perfect
I am of the opinion the church is all about knowledge than what Jesus taught
We are supposed to be about loving people, not the endless cycle of what we are doing

Yes, I know I am not the person that should be believed about this
Though, isn't this the gospel message

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 02:19 PM
link   
How exactly are we to love?

You are providing an example of it here for a hint of one way people show love to their fellows, and it's one way so many continue on in error today. Knowledge that doesn't produce results is empty.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

Gnosticism wasn't tolerable in the early church and it shouldn’t be tolerable now.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:09 PM
link   

I wonder why jesus didn’t teach science?

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

Gnosticism wasn't tolerable in the early church and it shouldn’t be tolerable now.

Those who differ from your opinion include Copernicus, Einstein, Jung, Galileo, Pascal, and Newton.
In more modern times, Jordan Peterson, Terrance McKenna and Michael Heiser.
edit on 25-4-2018 by ColeYounger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

I wonder why jesus didn’t teach science?

I'll assert that walking upon water is teaching science in a very good way.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:14 PM
link   

I would say the modern church is agnostic, to the point that it has become apostate. We learn to love through the knowledge (gnosis) of Christ. Today's churches love nothing more than to tickle your ears with prepackaged, emotionally charged propaganda, at a price of 10% of your earnings. Where's the love in that? You can't say the word gnosis isn't found in the Bible. It's not a book of Gnosticism, but it does contain gnosis.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I would say the modern church is agnostic.

I would say the modern church is a joke. It's been co-opted by facebook and other social media nonsense.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Mike Heiser has a good series on where we are and where we might be heading . He does have a good vid up on Gnosticism but its more about looking at the results stemming from its influence then the subject directly .

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

He taught a higher form of science but as you often point out you weren't there to witness it

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:41 PM
link   

You should really elaborate more.

What are you doing that needs changing??

Plus you should really define “gnostic” and state how it compares to the church.

If possible before the timer runs out.
edit on 25-4-2018 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

I think you mean the all mighty dollar and the TV evangelistic crazy.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Also a big fan of Mike Heiser as well...

I recently started listening to MP3s from the "Lancaster Prophetic Conference"

I highly recommend this and it appears to be THE best source of info I have found on where we might be heading.

Also am listening to what Mark Taylor is saying as well...

edit on 4.25.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Luke 1:68-79
“Blessed be the Lord God of Israel,
For He has visited us and accomplished redemption for His people,
And has raised up a horn of salvation for us
In the house of David His servant—
As He spoke by the mouth of His holy prophets from of old—
Salvation FROM OUR ENEMIES,
And FROM THE HAND OF ALL WHO HATE US;
To show mercy toward our fathers,
And to remember His holy covenant,
The oath which He swore to Abraham our father,
To grant us that we, being rescued from the hand of our enemies,
Might serve Him without fear,
In holiness and righteousness before Him all our days.
“And you, child, will be called the prophet of the Most High;

For you will go on BEFORE THE LORD TO PREPARE HIS WAYS;
To give to His people the knowledge of salvation (gnosin sowteirias)
By the forgiveness of their sins,
Because of the tender mercy of our God,
With which the Sunrise from on high will visit us,
TO SHINE UPON THOSE WHO SIT IN DARKNESS AND THE SHADOW OF DEATH,
To guide our feet into the way of peace.”

This is how gnosis is supposed to produce love. The gnosis of salvation shows us the mercy of our God. When one understands that gnosis, it is then converted to epignosis--a sort of applied knowledge--which results in a saving faith that can grow into a reciprocating love for God, and for all of mankind, if allowed to fully mature.

So, what is the true knowledge of salvation? The gnosin sowteirias?

John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Compare that to the agnostic emotional ramblings of the modern church, which would have you invite Christ into you heart for salvation, which means absolutely nothing.

Your heart must be invested in Christ via the gnosin sowteirias before Christ can dwell in our hearts. When emotion is prioritized over logic, gnosis is always turned on its head.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Social media is nothing more than a medium of propagation. Christianity was co-opted by emotionalism long ago, in the "Great Awakenings" of the 1800s and early 1900's, then that bastardized church married in with the political circles around 1976, with movements like the Moral Majority.

Today we have the Seven Mountains mandate pedaled by the like of the New Apostolic Reformation pulling the strings of evangelical organizations and the politicians they elect. The agnostic apostate church has assumed the identity of μυστήριον Βαβυλὼν.

edit on 25-4-2018 by BELIEVERpriest because: typos

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 04:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Bible studies, preaching, theology...if whatever version of the bible is perfect
I am of the opinion the church is all about knowledge than what Jesus taught
We are supposed to be about loving people, not the endless cycle of what we are doing

Yes, I know I am not the person that should be believed about this
Though, isn't this the gospel message

A couple of glaring issues with what you said:

1. "Bible studies, preaching, theology...if whatever version of the bible is perfect
I am of the opinion the church is all about knowledge than what Jesus taught..."

Honestly, that statement is a little confusing, but if I understand you ... First you say that "Jesus taught," then you say that the church is somehow in error because it teaches; but doesn't it follow that if Jesus taught, and if the church is to carry out his ministry and mission on earth, it should be doing what he did. Part of what he did is ... he taught (by your own admission).

You also mention "the gospel message." How can the message be conveyed without being taught? That message runs contrary to the current and the philosophy the predominates in the world; If it's not taught, nobody will get it.

2. Romans 10 asks the question, "And how are they to hear without someone preaching?" Preaching is, of necessity, at least part teaching, the exposition and explanation of information.

3. The New Testament is replete with admonitions about teaching, using greek words like κατηχισμός (teaching) in many forms and διδαχή (instruction).

If the church sometimes focuses too much on the heady aspects of conveying information but fails on developing the moral or even what one might call the mystical aspects of the faith, this does not make teaching bad; it only means that it's being done wrong. Indeed, excess or misapplication on one end of the spectrum is just a dangerous and destructive as that on the other end. To overfocus on teaching at the expense of a real spiritual life is bad. To ignore solid teaching and only focus on practice is just as unhealthy.

A healthy church has both solid orthodoxy (sound teaching) and solid orthopraxy (sound practice). It is impossible to really have the one without the other; they are the two legs on which the church stands. You cannot have the one without the other.

:
edit on 2018 4 25 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I would say the modern church is a joke. It's been co-opted by facebook and other social media nonsense.

Not a joke at all, it's a very elaborate plan...

The stealth agenda behind it is to discredit the truth.

The vast majority of mainline denominational churches have been infiltrated and have very little to do with REAL Christianity. This is why the resemblance to the early church is practically nonexistent....

...the goal is to infiltrate it with their compromising philosophies and attempt to destroy the Church from within."

See this post for more on this...

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

originally posted by: kyleplatinum

Those who differ from your opinion include Copernicus, Einstein, Jung, Galileo, Pascal, and Newton.
In more modern times, Jordan Peterson, Terrance McKenna and Michael Heiser.

This is because Knowledge vs Faith.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Ignorance: Not knowing or accepting the truth, despite an abundance of information.

Bible = Astrotheology and allegory.
edit on 25-4-2018 by CosmicAwakening because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicAwakening

Allegorical interpretation is something that religion would have us believe...

And religion has absolutely ZERO credibility.

The Bible is to be taken literally unless the text in question is obviously symbolic.

The Bible DOES frequently employ allegory, such as in Gal.4:21-24.

But it also makes it perfectly clear when doing so.

Concerning astrothelogy, Santos Bonacci, is 100% out of touch with reality.

Nothing in the Bible is complicated. God would be stupid to write a book that people couldn't understand. That'd be the stupidest thing that He ever did. ~ Norvel Hayes Dead link(@ 3 min) "Norval Hayes - Don't Give The Devil A Choice (1984) "

If you don't believe the Bible....fine...don't believe it. But don't suggest that one part should be taken allegory when another part of the Bible CLEARLY indicates that it isn't. I'm guessing you don't do that with other forms of literature, do you?

If you have a history book on George Washington, do you decide to read chapter 3 as an allegory, but the rest of it as fact simply because you don't want to believe the events of chapter 3 took place? If chapter 14 is believed to be historical---and it refers to the events of chapter 3 as historical....why would you believe chapter 3 to be allegory?

Is The Bible Literal Or Allegorical?

The Bible, history's most published, studied, translated and quoted book, is also its most misused and misinterpreted book. Cults and false religions use it to their own ends and others simply misinterpret it. That this occurs so often leads many to assume the Bible has no clear meaning. This is a false assumption.

As mentioned in the introduction, allegorizing Scripture has a long and destructive history. The reason many have been sold on the allegorical method is the false assumption that since the Bible is a spiritual book, inspired by the Holy Spirit, that it therefore contains hidden or secret meanings.

Many contemporary preachers are quite adept at allegorizing passages of Scripture. According to them, Jesus can be found teaching modern success theories, positive thinking, liberation theology (Marxism), Unitarianism, the New Age, or anything else. Remember that the key reason for the allegorical method's existence was to integrate the Bible with Greek philosophy or whatever other contemporary worldly ideas that seemed popular and desirable. The resurrection can be allegorized into the new hope that springs into being with the cycles of nature: bunnies, and green grass. Or it can be allegorized as something analogous to ugly larvae changing through metamorphosis into butterflies.

cicministry.org...

Historically when people do not like what a document says or they want to make it fit their philosophical bent they allegorize that document. This is what Philo did with the Jewish Bible in Alexandria, Egypt and, early on, some Christians picked up this habit from him and imported it into the church.

digitalcommons.liberty.edu...

When the plain sense of Scripture makes common sense, seek no other sense; therefore, take every word, at its primary, ordinary, usual, literal meaning unless the facts of the immediate context, studied in the light of related passages and axiomatic and fundamental truths, indicate clearly otherwise.

The Golden Rule of Interpretation

Those holding to an allegorical interpretation of the Bible point to a variety of scriptures and use them as proof-texts for the claim that God intended for His Word to be interpreted allegorically, and as we shall see, many of these verses have been taken out of context or redefined so as to give the appearance of supporting the false allegorical mode of interpretation. www.scribd.com...

originally posted by: BO XIAN
In many dozens, hundreds of cases, THE LITERALISTS WERE ALWAYS PROVEN CORRECT as archeology uncovered more and more confirmation that the Bible was literally true in detail after detail. Some things are literal AND symbolic, both/and. I don't think a great number of things in the Bible are primarily or only symbolic.

edit on 4.25.2018 by Murgatroid because: Felt like it...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join