It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Plastic trapped in Arctic sea could flood world's oceans as climate warms

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Guyfriday
Oh dear, dear. Where have you learned this about Hydric Acid? Please, please google " what is the difference between Hydric Acid and water". You will be very surprised that Hydric Acid is just another chemical name for water.

posted on Apr, 25 2018 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: Guyfriday
Oh dear, dear. Where have you learned this about Hydric Acid? Please, please google " what is the difference between Hydric Acid and water". You will be very surprised that Hydric Acid is just another chemical name for water.

DUH, that's the point. Too much fresh water dumped into the Mid-Atlantic current, and blammo slowed Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation. We are already experiencing this phenomena, and the effects are being seen and felt (ie, Colder Atlantic winters countered with warmer Atlantic Summers)

The more fresh water that gets dumped into the ocean means less ice in the north, which means the temperature will self regulate less. At some point the temperature regulation will slow down to the point of going back to an ice age environment (we are technically still in an Ice Age, but we are currently just experiencing a warm period within the ice age)

For more information:
Phys.org (Climate change is slowing Atlantic currents)
Phys.org (Loss of Arctic sea ice impacting Atlantic Ocean)

***OOP"S, I FORGOT THIS PART BELOW***

I'm more concerned about going back into a massive cooling period, then some plastic getting loose. While I understand the concern about these plastics, they are something that we might be able to deal within a human life time. A massive cooling period on the other hand screws us for a few centuries.

edit on 25-4-2018 by Guyfriday because: added info

new topics

<< 1   >>

join