It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The search for truth.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Imagine,if you would,that you are a young child again.Reach up and take my hand and I will guide you through the opening scene of this story.
We are in New York.Not the bustling metropolis that is all that most tourists ever see but a nearby suburb.This street we are walking along now is lined with three story period buildings with gardens.This is not only the family homes of the wealthy.This is where the wealthiest people living in one of the wealthiest cities in the world choose to live.In no other place so near to the heart of this city would the home owners be so afluent as to have gardens.
As we walk along we can see the perfectly manicured lawns,the occasional marble statue of a Greek goddess,and the odd decorative fountain.The wealth is flaunted.All the houses and gardens are similar in this way atleast.All,that is, except one, number 32.As we aproach this house you may notice a slight chill even on the warmest day,a sudden indescribable gloominess even on the brightest day.As we stand now before the large wrought iron gate,your grip on my hand may unconsciously become tighter but it is OK.We are like shadows unseen on this plain,observing yet unobserved ourselves.There is a tall brick wall surrounding the property to keep out prying eyes.The owner of this house treasures privacy far more than his neighbours crave recognition.
Come,we will enter.The gate creeks and whines as if complaining about it's use and you will straight away see that this garden is overgrown and wild.The path to the house is hard to make out but with care we make our way along it.Now we are before three large stone steps which lead up to large oak double doors.I can feel you start to tremble but we have come this far,we must go on.No door is barred to us and we enter the house.
The air is stale and musty and dust swirls like individual lives in the one small beam of light that has passed through the jungle like garden and dirty windows.We can hear music from another room and we make our way along the gloomy corridor towards it's source,the door at the end.
Before we reach it you may notice a small door on the left.It is slightly ajar.I will push it open.You will see wooden steps leading downwards.The darkness envelopes all but the first four steps and nothing I say,no reassurances,can persuade you to investigate this room further,so repulsed are you by what you fear lurks in that darkness.We will leave that aside and continue.
We reach the door at the end,push it open,and step in.The music you now recognise as Barber's Adagio for strings which is nearing it's melancholy conclusion.The room appears to be a large study.One entire wall is lined with a bookcase,the other three are oak panelled.A large open fire is roaring in the hearth.Large candelabras sit on four plinths around the room.The rest of the light in the room is from the array of computer screens along the far wall.Facing the screens but with it's back to us is a large,high back,red leather armchair.The music has finished and we can now make out the distinct tap tapping of proficient fingers on a keyboard.We will move around so as to see more.
Now we can see the disturbing figure typing.His hair is long and unkempt.His palour is sickly and white.His eyes are red with either madness or lack of sleep.His fingernails,you notice, are are aleast an inch long, very dirty and he types using the tips of these talon like nails.He is dressed in a long,silk,paisley patterned dressing gown and he is occasionally sipping from a glass of blood red claret that has left a smile like stain around his lips.
The Log in page for AboveTopSecret.com is on the screen in front.You watch with horror as with the tip of his long nails he types in the name "William".
The dramatic opening bars of Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in D minor startles you as William throws back his head and laughs maniacally.He is logged in.
Next to his armchair is a large glass container like an aquarium but apparently filled with soil.On closer inspection you realise it is an antfarm.William appears to be looking carefully at this.You watch as he stirs up the antqueens nest using the long nail on his right index finger.He laughs again as the soldier ants come out to defend the queen and the worker ants desperately move the eggs to a safer place.
We will leave William here with the organ music vibrating around the room and you must let go of my hand and read the rest of this story without my guidance.

Abraham Virtue was craddling a cup of warm coffee that he had bought and was now drinking in one of the many new coffee shops that had sprung up recently in his home town.He was looking out of the cafe window contemplating the bizzare twists and turns that had occured in his life since he first registered with ATS.He felt as though he was being continually watched and he found himself regularly looking over his shoulder for no apparent reason.There had been a number of coincidences that had occured in the previous week.Abraham Virtue,from hard learn't experience,did not believe in coincidences.
There had been that letter from the credit card company.How did they know he was thinking about getting a credit card?That telephone call from the double glazing firm.Again,how did they know that his windows were rattling and needed replacing?And finally the visit from the Jehova Witnesses yesterday.An obvious ruse to get him talking about his spirituality.
AV took another sip of his coffee and continued to look out of the window.
A car backfired on the street outside.AV instinctively ducked beneath the table then he slowly sat back up as he realised what it had been.As he did so he surruptiously looked around the cafe noticing as he did so that a number of people were staring at him.Who were they?Did they know who he was?
AV placed the plastic top on the top of his disposable coffee cup and made for the door.On leaving the cafe he crossed the road as he did so he looked in the reflection of the shop window opposite and he noticed that a young man had left the cafe also and was following him.AV quickened his step only slightly as he walked down the street.He stiffled the desire to run but his heart was beating faster,his breathing deeper.After a hundred yards he crossed the road again and again he looked in the reflection in the window.The man was still there but he was closer.
He must confront this now.No more running away.He turned and faced the young man bracing himself for the unexpected.
"Your sunglasses."
"Pardon?"stuttered AV.
"Your sunglasses."reapeated the young man.
AV looked down at the man's outstretch hand holding a pair of shades.
"You left them in the cafe"
"Urmm...Thankyou"
"That's OK." The man turned on his heels and headed back up towards the cafe.
AV put them on and walked slowly up the street.There was no way he could live his life like this.He would have to get to the root of the problem and to do that,he knew,he would have to go to New York.

Abraham Virtue first went to the advertising company that it was reported William worked at but to his surprise no one remebered him.He was just leaving the building when an elderly security guard put his arm on his shoulder.He asked if AV was looking for William.When AV said that he was indeed looking for him,the elderly guard handed him a crumpled piece of paper and the scurried off.AV opened up the paper and read it.On it was an address.
Walking down that afluent street on that warm evening Abraham Virtue thought that perhaps he might have made a mistake but his brisk walking pace slowed as he looked ahead and he stopped open mouthed before the rusty iron gates of number 32.He could, of course walk on,forget the whole thing but his desire to find the truth was strong and he overcame the feeling of dread that had come upon him and pushed open the creeking gate.He walked along the path through the garden to the three steps and climbed them.He was about to knock on the door and rouse the occupant when instinct stayed his hand.Perhaps there was another way in.Looking to his left he notice a small dirty window at ground level.It was probably a window for a cellar he thought and it was slightly ajar.Clambering through the tiny opening into that blackness offered only a small problem and AV quickly found himself in this pitch black room.His hand came into contact with an object.By the glow of his cigarette lighter he found that it was a candlestick.He lit the candle in it.
Slowly his eyes adjusted to the bad light.The room he saw was not really a cellar it was a...............crypt.
Along either wall were what appeared to be sarcophagi.He walked slowly to the right hand side reading the names on the stone lids as he passed.Thomas Crowne,Alien,All seeing Eye,Zion Mainframe,Netchicken,Estragon.He halted and crossed the room to the other side.The sarcophagi here were newer and they were empty their lids lying propped against them.He walked back reading the names on these.Gryffen,Ultra Phoenix,Jedimaster,DragonRider,Nyeff.He was interupted by the sound of the crypt door opening.Quickly he blew out his candle and hid behind the unused sarcophagus nearest the window.
He could see light shining down the stairs that led up out of the crypt and then he saw a long haired figure carrying his own candle descend the stairs.When the man had reached the bottom he let out a croaking laugh.He walked to the end of the room very near to where Abraham Virtue was hiding.AV could see the mad glint in his red eyes.Then as he walked along the right had side he tapped three times on each sarcophagus all the time croaking in a sing song fashion."Come on my lovelies.Time to awake.Theres work to be done."
AV jumped as five white boney fingers emerged from the side of the lid and slowly pulled the cover off.He notice that it was the same for the others.Then one by one gaunt and ragged figures stiffly sat up and got out.
"Time for work my lovelies"croaked William and he began to ascend the stars again.The small rabble of gaunt figures stiffly followed.

When they had gone Abraham Virtue took a deep breath something that he couldn't remember doing for the last five minutes.He clambered back out of the window and ran along the path,through the gate.He didn't stop running till he was a mile away.

He must get back and warn the others.He must.He must.

But would they believe him?Would they listen?

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 2 2003 @ 02:01 PM
link   
I like your useage of fear and mystery. That suits my tastes. You describe my being quite well. For I am this way in all walks of life. I wonder, I speculate and I investigate. Sometimes to my own delight, sometimes to my own fright.

However I can only wonder how William will view this.
I would imagine that he would find it quite amusing. As did I. Good job John.

I have decided that I must return the favor. I will write something with you in it soon. But I think I am going to have to sleep on it.

You have definately started a trend here John. One that many will soon follow.

[Edited on 2-7-2003 by Abraham Virtue]

posted on Jul, 3 2003 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I could only read read half of it JB only cos i am tired a drunk aswell rather good from what i read will read the rest later.

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
WOW!!!
I've read this story well over 10 times, and I enjoy it more and more each time!!!
Right after AV heads over to William's advertising company, I get chills, every single time!
Then a second relapse after reading the names on the sarcophagi...
Then a third at the end....

Truly is a great storyline JB!

Cheers,
- Tass

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 09:24 PM
link   
BUT, i'm glad this thread has been brought back. It may be from July, but its STILL worth reading. Thanks for bringing it back, Tassadar. Or I never would've read this.
Good job.

posted on Oct, 10 2003 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Don't thank me mike,
JB wrote it...

I guess it did need to be brought back.
Read around... dr, blackwidow, JB, and William all have great stories (and everyone else of course!
)

- Tass

posted on Oct, 11 2003 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Thanks Tass and Mike.

Bumping this up has given me another reason to reread and I'm pleased that you both enjoyed it.

Rereading it just now I couldn't help look at the devices I used.The trouble is that because these are supposed to act on a subconscious level describing them spoils it.

Just one of them is that there are three hidden references to ATS in the first part.I mean that ATS is represented by three different things(metaphors).So if you have read it so many times Tass you can have a little fun looking for them.

There is another device which was put in to have exactly the effect you described Tass.So I'm especially pleased with that.

I don't know how William or the other Mods felt about it or even if they read it.It was just supposed to be a little bit of fun and I think AV (bless him) took his fair share of any Mickey Taking as well.

Thanks Again,JB1

[Edited on 12-10-2003 by John bull 1]

new topics

top topics

join