It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Luke F-16 destroyed in emergency landing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 02:22 PM
link   
An F-16C belonging to the 56th Fighter WIng out of Luke AFB has been destroyed in an emergency landing attempt at Lake Havasu Airport. The pilot diverted for an unknown reason about 10:30 and attempted to land at the airport. During the landing he went off the runway, resulting in the landing gear breaking collapsing, the back breaking just behind the cockpit, and the aft engine mount breaking, allowing the engine to partially drop. The pilot ejected, and was reported to be walking around afterwards.

LAKE HAVASU CITY, AZ - A military jet went down at Lake Havasu Airport on Tuesday morning.

According to the United States Air Force, an F-16C aircraft assigned to the 56th Fighter Wing at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, Arizona diverted and attempted to land at the Lake Havasu Airport around 10:30 a.m.

Officials say the aircraft departed the prepared surface and the pilot ejected. The pilot is in good condition and expected to be OK.

www.abc15.com...

edit on 4/24/2018 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Great that the pilot made it out okay and no casualties on the ground!

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Zaphod, I have always wondered about insurance and military equipment/training exercises. Do you know if there can be an insurance claim made? Do branches of the military carry insurance?

(I'm sure if it was pilot error they would probably deny the claim, and could deny the claim for hundreds or even thousands of other reasons as well, but assuming it IS eligible for coverage).

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I'd say the American tax payer is the only insurance you need.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

They come with a warranty, but as far as I know, if there's any kind of insurance, it would be similar to liability for things on the ground, but not for airframe damage. They'd be self insured if they do though.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Hello Allstate,

I'd like to file a claim, what is my deductible?

I'm glad the pilot is safe.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I used to sell insurance. I was told that war is never covered. I imagine that war machines lost during training for war wouldnt be covered either.

edit on 4 24 2018 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I worked F-16s for years.

Even with the upgraded suspension, it still performed horribly in off-road testing.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I'm hearing he may have lost an engine and was trying to get on the ground, and put it down long, and just ran out of room.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
I'm hearing he may have lost an engine and was trying to get on the ground, and put it down long, and just ran out of room.

I wonder if it was an IP, or a student... in either case, I'm happy the pilot got to go home at the end of the day.

I am guessing with structural damage, that aircraft has a fine future as a static display somewhere...

(OR... they could straighten the frame, change the VIN and sell it at auction... )

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Strip it down and put it in AMARG. They'll take the parts and maybe send them to Luke, or might spread them around. When Thunderbird 6 crashed in Colorado a few years ago, they took the tail, because it was the last Block 50/52 vertical fin they had. I haven't looked to see what block it is, but some of those parts will be extremely valuable. Too much work to turn it back into a gate guard.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Strip it down and put it in AMARG. They'll take the parts and maybe send them to Luke, or might spread them around. I haven't looked to see what block it is, but some of those parts will be extremely valuable. Too much work to turn it back into a gate guard.

The tail number looks familiar... maybe block 42... ?

The usual identifying features seem to be knee deep in dirt... or broken off...

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Block 42J, part of the 310th Fighter Squadron at Luke since 2009.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Engine flameout, he restarted, and was landing on runway 32.

Audio

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I worked F-16s for years.

Even with the upgraded suspension, it still performed horribly in off-road testing.

The answer to the insurance question, btw, is that the military self-insures. For a big ticket item like this, they'll need an appropriation. Doubt the revolving fund for operations will cover it.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Strip it down and put it in AMARG. 

Far more likely than repairing it.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Block 42J, part of the 310th Fighter Squadron at Luke since 2009.

I think it may have been a 63rd FS bird, before they were deactivated. The tail number really seems familiar.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Started life in April 92, as a Shaw bird with the 17th FS, moved to the 63rd in April 94, then was with the 310th in June of 09.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Started life in April 92, as a Shaw bird with the 17th FS, moved to the 63rd in April 94, then was with the 310th in June of 09.

I was at Luke from 94-97, I was in both the 310th FS (LANTIRN training... night flying...), and later the 63rd FS.

It's amazing how tail numbers stick with you... even 20 years later...

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Hell, I have ones that have stuck with me from longer than that ago. They really do get into your brain and stick there though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join