It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS boss threatens ‘caravan’ border-crossers with prosecution, detention, deportation

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Their immigration laws also allow for refugees and they accepted many of them as such. The US can still turn away those that chose to request asylum in the US. I'm not seeing the disrespect.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Their immigration laws also allow for refugees and they accepted many of them as such. The US can still turn away those that chose to request asylum in the US. I'm not seeing the disrespect.
Okay, so can I ask have you traveled a lot or lived abroad?I have. And that's when I began to change my mind from left left to moderate left, including immigration. Do you realize that many countries across the world have as strict or stricter immigration laws than the US? It's important to counter the hysteria against Trump on this topic.

Second, letting people march through to the US, while encouraging immigrants to the US, and then otherwise enforcing your own borders, is both hypocritical and disrespectful. Yes. You just don't see the double standards and politics involved yet, and I suspect are just seeing this through a positive, idealistic lens. I get it, and I've been there.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
Do you realize that many countries across the world have as strict or stricter immigration laws than the US?

I'm not really sure what the immigration laws in other countries have to do with people saying that the US immigration laws need to be enforced when the people in this caravan are acting within those laws.

It's important to counter the hysteria against Trump on this topic.

It is important to counter the hysteria from both sides on this topic.

Second, letting people march through to the US, while encouraging immigrants to the US, and then otherwise enforcing your own borders, is both hypocritical and disrespectful. Yes. You just don't see the double standards and politics involved yet, and I suspect are just seeing this through a positive, idealistic lens. I get it, and I've been there.

No idealistic lens here, I'm Guatemalan and americans trying to convince each other that mexico's southern border is heavily guarded are wrong.

edit on 24-4-2018 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yes, but people on the left have been utterly hysterical about Trump including immigration since the election. To hear them tell it, he's a racist, sexist, fascist, dictator, and literally hitler. In this moment, with the immigration debate writ large, I think the left is more hysterical as a whole. Regarding US immigration. Id say the opposite regarding the European immigration debate.
a reply to: daskakik

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Yes, but people on the left have been utterly hysterical about Trump including immigration since the election. To hear them tell it, he's a racist, sexist, fascist, dictator, and literally hitler. In this moment, with the immigration debate writ large, I think the left is more hysterical as a whole. Regarding US immigration. Id say the opposite regarding the European immigration debate.

OK but the hysteria in the OP is not about the left but the Homeland Security Secretary.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: daskakik

OK but the hysteria in the OP is not about the left but the Homeland Security Secretary.
You seem to be trying to discuss this in a vacuum, as if on one side the right isn't screaming about illegals, and on the other side the left isn't calling for loose enforcement of relevant laws and calling people that want enforcement racists. As you said earlier both sides are politicizing this. It is political though due to the bigger context and becomes symbolic, probably to the detriment of the caravan members. I will say though that at some point we can't just let so many people in or stay undocumented. It's also okay to enforce existing laws. I have sympathy for the Daca folks.
edit on 24-4-2018 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 10:28 PM
link   

You seem to be trying to discuss this in a vacuum, as if on one side the right isn't screaming about illegals, and on the other side the left isn't calling for loose enforcement of relevant laws and calling people that want enforcement racists.

I'm discussing what was brought up in the OP. I already said that the hysteria on both sides need to be countered.

As you said earlier both sides are politicizing this. It is political though due to the bigger context and becomes symbolic, probably to the detriment of the caravan members. I will say though that at some point we can't just let so many people in or stay undocumented. It's also okay to enforce existing laws. I have sympathy for the Daca folks.

It is okay to enforce existing laws and the law says that people can walk to a port of entry and request asylum. That is why the words of the DHS boss and the AG are out of place because they, of all people, should know the procedure and know that it is within the law.

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sure, but you don't think the very same group might be being encouraged by people with ulterior motives? I think the left wants this confrontation too.
a reply to: daskakik

posted on Apr, 24 2018 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Sure, but you don't think the very same group might be being encouraged by people with ulterior motives? I think the left wants this confrontation too.

Of course there is a group behind them and probably a group behind that group but that isn't the topic of the thread, it is what the DHS boss said and if one actually looks at the law one has to wonder why she makes it sound like these people are breaking the law when they are not.

Of course the group behind the caravan what this confrontation because it gives the other side the chance to over-react and gives them ammo to continue to call for change.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join