It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only way to travel the speed of light is to use it as a propellant.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2018 @ 07:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erno86
a reply to: TheJesuit

A starship would have to have a propulsion method that uses constant acceleration, in order to reach the speed of light barrier. The craft would have to use an infinite fuel source, like starlight photons, emanating (at or near the speed of light) from the polar jets of a spinning micro mini black hole propulsion unit, that is housed, harnessed and controlled safely aboard the starship.

The speed of light barrier could be safely broken --- imho --- if the starship could mimic 'no rest mass' with magnetic shields radiating from the micro mini black hole that surrounds the off board area of the starship itself and travel on into the superluminal realm.

See my post about even the fuel mass reduced to zero. no mass no need for Inf fuel.

posted on Apr, 30 2018 @ 06:12 AM
link   

a reply to: TheJesuit

A starship would have to have a propulsion method that uses constant acceleration, in order to reach the speed of light barrier. The craft would have to use an infinite fuel source, like starlight photons, emanating (at or near the speed of light) from the polar jets of a spinning micro mini black hole propulsion unit, that is housed, harnessed and controlled safely aboard the starship.

The speed of light barrier could be safely broken --- imho --- if the starship could mimic 'no rest mass' with magnetic shields radiating from the micro mini black hole that surrounds the off board area of the starship itself and travel on into the superluminal realm.

Might I suggest your reviewing my reply to this post; about half way down on page 3. This is just my attempt at a possible solution.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
a reply to: tinymind

inertial mass on a massless object is zero.

But would the same assumption hold true should we develop a craft with negative mass enveloped within a dark energy field?

This "should" also cloak it from external detection, but would it's instruments be useful in it's own navigation?

This is almost as much of a conundrum as writing code for a system utilizing the negative 1 as a third cipher.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: tinymind

Negative mass is negative so still holds true. and said field usually crates a null space in front of said craft ive been told. so most things slip around the craft.

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 12:32 PM
link   

"A black hole engine that could power spaceships"

Source: io9.gizmodo.com...

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 06:15 PM
link   

"A black hole engine that could power spaceships"

Source: io9.gizmodo.com...

Its not a black hole powering them

posted on May, 2 2018 @ 07:34 PM
link   
it is also a fantasy idea that has in a round about way already been disproven. In that is not obvious you can create said black-hole in the first place.

Gamma ray lasers dont exist, and are a rather large technical hurdle. People are working on producing them, but as yet, nothing exists yet.

You'd want it to do photon-photon annihilation to produce electrons, in vast quantities... or try doing some weird blob of quarks in such a confined space that it generates a blackhole. The issue is, that you'd have to do it at a rate faster than quantum degeneracy pressure is able to tunnel the electrons out into free space. In simple terms, not only do you need a high power set of gamma lasers at 511keV or higher, but also MASSIVE intensity.

The idea simply is so far outside of reality, its more Science fiction than possibly ever being science fact.

posted on May, 3 2018 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

Damnit because the grasers in honor Harrington were so cool!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:16 AM
link   
When I was in 10th class, I have been taught that no matter can travel with the speed of light.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Negative mass is negative so still holds true. and said field usually crates a null space in front of said craft ive been told. so most things slip around the craft.

Have you been told what unusually creates a null space in front of ...., too? That would be interesting!

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

He/She is using somewhat incorrect or at the least, pretentious language. Here 'usually' is being used to suggest that the statement is very normal, or the user 'knows very well' what happens from experience. When in reality, negative mass has never been observed to exist anywhere.

posted on May, 7 2018 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ErosA433

I know, I regulary point out his often pretentious posts. You described that wonderfully, by the way.

He´s never able to answer, though.
edit on 7-5-2018 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2018 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

Interesting is the least of the words I'd use to describe it!

So I have a question for both you and erosA433 though, it's purely hypothetical and I don't really think it's happening because ... Well you'll see.

So you mentioned photon photon annihilation and it got me thinking. What if you had a setup that could make essentially an endless cascade of positrons keep popping into existence on demand and you fired the gamma ray lasers into this positron cascade nonstop?

And what if this positron trick also happened to rip nice tiny holes in space time through which the positrons come out of?

Could this give you the effect that is being asserted to exist?

If so, we could only be missing a gamma ray laser (and a craft sturdy enough to mount it all on, trash can sized 100 megawatt sealed reactors, and entire production runs of a 13 nanometer super wafer fab for 3-9 months per craft for it's computing needs... and just one or two other "minor" things) from us totally building and operating craft based off of this idea!!

(Color me skeptical obviously)

But the positron cascade deal really does exist, so I have to ask the follow-up questions.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join