It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The only way to travel the speed of light is to use it as a propellant.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hahaha like i said im no scientist

a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: TheJesuit

There are some ideas regarding firing a laser from earth at a solar sailed vessel which could get it up to around 10% the speed of light.

We will never be able to travel faster than light unless we are able to somehow warp space-time around a craft thus use expansion/contraction of space-time to propel the thing.

There simply is not enough matter in the universe to fuel/propel a conventional vehicle past the speed of light.

This. Any practical space travel involving humans as we are now is going to be done manipulating space in some fashion.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hammaraxx
Something to consider about light speed and matter.
If the 'bits and pieces' of atoms in an object have to move about to keep the atom together, what would happen to atoms at the speed of light?
To stay together, they would have to be travelling faster than the speed of light, at least in the direction of travel, which is theoretically impossible.
Perhaps, not impossible, but theoretically impossible according to our current understandings/thinking.

Not if you believe in string/quantum entanglement theories.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJesuit
Hahaha like i said im no scientist

That makes two of us. I just happen to have made a hobby of quantum physics and mechanics
Although , I did take several MIT online courses ....

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Light speed, not just a good idea...
Its the LAW

The Law according to Moses
No , wait...
The Law according to Einstein

(shhh....old boy Albert may not have been spot on.....)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hammaraxx
You could be onto something there TheJesuit.
I've wondered for a long time what would happen to a torch if released into space with the light on.
Would it travel?
If so, what direction would it travel in, towards the beam or away from it?
Or nothing at all, just random 'floating'?
Only an experiment would answer those questions. Has it been done?

The torch would forever travel at the speed and direction it was released , Regardless of "lit" or not (that is an impossibility of a lit torch in space. You knew that , I hope) . Unless it got too close to another object with greater mass...

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Manipulation of the warp bubbles shape would allow us to expand space-time ahead of the craft and contract it behind which theoretically could allow us to travel at many multiples of light speed.

Its space that's moving not the vehicle per say.

en.wikipedia.org...

But you already know this I'm sure and are also aware of the material science issues prevent us from doing so just yet.

Mathematically though such concepts as the Alcubierre drive seem theoretically sound.

edit on 23-4-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:32 AM
link   
WOW cool hobby its surprising what makes for relaxation! Me - Comparative Practical Metaphysical Noetics Lol

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: hombero
Mass increases to infinity when a massful object moves at the speed of light. How could it be possible to move an object with infinite mass? It isn't.

It actually is. If you have infinite energy.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Inertia would be a problem what with the G forces involved in acceleration/deceleration and changes in travel direction.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"Regardless of "lit" or not (that is an impossibility of a lit torch in space."

Why is that, then?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Manipulation of the warp bubbles shape would allow us to expand space-time ahead of the craft and contract it behind which theoretically could allow us to travel at many multiples of light speed.

en.wikipedia.org...

But you already know this I'm sure and are also aware of the material science issues prevent us from doing so just yet.

Mathematically though such concepts as the Alcubierre drive seem theoretically sound.

Actually , you got that backwards . It is contracting space in front , and expanding behind. Just like the Theory on how galaxies are able to violate Einstein's universal speed limit. Space is created in front on the universe and expands behind. Yet , the only thing that makes that possible , is the galaxies are already moving. You would still require a force to move in any direction.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJesuit

No, according to Einstein's theories of relativity, you cannot accelerate to the speed of light. That's because the process of accelerating increases the mass of the object accelerating. This means the closer to the SOL that you get, the more energy it takes to continue accelerating.

You would need infinite energy because you develop infinite mass.

So what has been postulated to travel FTL is that you use generated singularities to warp space time. Basically creating a generated space/time wave that you ride so that you wouldn't have to accelerate faster than conventional speeds.

Another possibility would be utilizing particles that are already traveling faster than light, but there is no known way, even theoretically, to do that yet AFAIK...

Jaden

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Silly me, i did indeed get it backwards, but if you flip it around the theory is still sound.

Why would you require force when its the fabric of space-time that's being manipulated not the actual vehicle which is sheathed and protected by the warp bubble?

The ship does not move for all intents and purpose it's the space-time outside, or the contraction and expansion of such, that's being manipulated.

Power through you would require that in vast amounts to manipulate and sustain the bubble. But the bubble would essentially travel in the direction intended.
edit on 23-4-2018 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 09:59 AM
link   

en.wikipedia.org...

Sometimes "stuff" looks good to a mathematician , yet falls flat on its face when it meets physics.
Space cannot "move"
Warping space time is about compressing it like as in a black hole

Too much sci-fi for me to comprehend..

edit on 4/23/18 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Essentially it amounts to bringing the mountain to Mohammed because its impossible for Mohamed to move the mountain.

Space-time is not yet fully understood hence our ability to predict what it can and cannot do is also not yet fully understood.

Further understanding of gravity, electromagnetics and the strong/weak nuclear forces that play there part are required before we can unequivocally say what space-time can be made to do.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 10:10 AM
link   
to travel faster than light you need to locally alter the value of the speed of light in a vacuum to a higher value to reduce relativistic effects as you travelled through the universe. or decouple your frame of reference from the rest of the universe so that the universe isn't aware that youre travelling.
edit on 23-4-2018 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

"or decouple you frame of reference from the rest of the universe so that the universe isn't aware that hours travelling."

That seems to be the ticket.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

yeah i realized my spelling was horrible and edited it to read correctly.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 10:15 AM
link   
What about particle teleportation ? Didn't MIT or someone do that not long ago i definitely read an article about it and wondered if that eventually could be applied to travel.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join