It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Pioneering surgery saves 700 gram baby born 3 months early

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   
When doctors in Southern California gave tiny Jerrick De Leon parents no option to fix the heart defect in thier premature son, his parents authorized a medical transport to Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. On February 6th surgeon Dr. V. Mohan Reddy performed open heart surgery on a heart that is the size of a grape. This represents the smallest patient to ever undergo this procedure. Jerrick is doing well following the surgery and his parents hope to have him returned to a hospital in Southern California soon.

www.cnn.com
(CNN) -- The pediatric surgeon who performed open-heart surgery on a one-week-old baby with a heart the size of a grape said Thursday it was "a wonderful feeling" to be able to save his life.

Surgeons at Stanford University's Lucile Packard Children's Hospital believe that Jerrick De Leon, born more than 13 weeks early, is the smallest baby ever to survive an open-heart procedure called an arterial switch.

The hospital said Jerrick is expected to have a normal life, barring any medical complications from his premature bi

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is the hospital I work at and the Cardiac Unit is one of the two that I am based out of as a pediatric critical care transport nurse. I have worked with Mohan the surgeon for over 10 years now in two different hospitals, and I would not hesitate to have him perform surgery on my son if it was needed. Normal heart size is about the size of your fist. Imagine how small that is and to work int hat area and have the kid survive the OR let alone the post op course speaks volumes of his surgical skill.

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Update: The baby is doing well and should be transported home soon
Solid work to all the Doctors and Nurses that made this all possible

posted on Feb, 23 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Update: The baby is doing well and should be transported home soon
Solid work to all the Doctors and Nurses that made this all possible

Babies of this very same development are aborted ever day.

join