I agree but that is not a leftist comment, it is hard for me to believe you accept that as truth and necessity.
Remember Ed, in the UK, we are not as partisan as you chaps over the Pond, and hover either centre-left/right, and have interchangeable ideals.
One person could have right wing views on Immigration for example, yet still believe wholehartedly in Social Healthcare. Two diametric ideas together.
Believe me, I am one of those.
To paint everyone with the Liberla/Conservative brush is too black and white, and as you have berated poor Devilwasp on his "utopian" ideals, and
his age I might add, then you must also realise that the US view of everything in Black and White also does not convey the reality of the modern
Why is it that selling weapons to China is bad? Is it because you, as a (extreme) right wing conservative in the US fears a strong(er) China?
You forget a few things about China:
1) They have nearly always been a dominant world power. It has only been recently in the past century and a half or so, after European meddling in
their affairs that they became weak. They are merely re-ascerting their position at the top of the food chain, where they always have been.
2) They seek neither territorial conquest, or war with anyone. All the calls for war have come from you guys, not them. And you wonder why they want
3) they are one of your largest trading partners, AND
creditors, so war with you would be folly anyway. Why are you so afraid?
4) You accuse the Europeans of having either an attitude of appeasement, little experience in Foreign affairs or being more interested in trade. Is
trade not better than war? Do you not think that Europe (and the UK in particular) has plenty of experience in dealings with foreigners?
5) We stand to make a nice mint out of weapons sales to China (The UK being one of the worlds leading weapons manufacturers). And on the heel of
weapons sales comes other things, such as civilian Aerospace and other High-Tech goods. Its called trading, they make crappy little things en masse,
and we, in return, trade them high value, high tech goods.
Why all the anti China rhetoric Ed? They may not have the same idelogy than you, but then, they never have!
They are a different culture entirely. This is one world, with many voices, not just that of the US and its corporate lackeys!
Not everyone wishes to listen Britney sodding Spears and eat McFattys.
Although, the Chinese admittedly seem to like to eat a few Big Macs a day, look at their rising obesity problem. But then, this has risen due to the
increasing influence of western ideals on their culture.
[edit on 13/3/05 by stumason]