It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Child is killed during school walk out against gun violence

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

originally posted by: kaylaluv
a reply to: verschickter

It accomplishes a couple of things. It teaches young people about their rights as citizens and gives them a chance to practice their rights, and also teaches young people to be more engaged and not so apathetic.

It also raises awareness, as these protests have been in the news quite a bit. So, it makes everyone a little more aware, at least aware enough to debate the issues. Beats sitting around drinking beer and watching the Kardashian on TV, right?

awareness isn't needed to debate the issues. education is.

People tend to get apathetic. They get caught up in their own little bubble, and they don’t care until something happens to them personally. This kind of stuff pulls them out of their bubble a little, and that’s a good thing.

from what i have seen regarding "debates" it is still boiling down to protected rights, and emotional pleas to instill tyranny.

That’s your opinion. Some people think they have a right to go to public places without having to worry about outrunning a shooter.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:13 AM
link   

He wanted to be there. No kid was forced. It wasn’t the teachers’ job to do politics. It was the school’s job to supervise the kids who wanted to participate.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Some people think they have a right to go to public places without having to worry about outrunning a shooter.

That´s actually not a right, so those people may think that, it does not make it true. Please, please learn what rights are.

You have the right to go to public places. True.
You don´t have the right to not get shot. That´s made up by you and shows your mindset again. You think it should be a right, yet you don´t know what "rights" really are.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:16 AM
link   

You're right, it really has peaked. Infinite number of genders, PC culture..etc. I never gave it all much thought until recently. What I have noticed lately is those on the left (and I'm sure there are the same folks on the right) when I try and engage conversation regarding gun control, they can't answer any of my questions and it just resorts to name calling from them. It's a little sad...I just want to engage in conversation, not wage a war. Tired of this with us, or against us BS...we are all on the same side.

Bleh...perhaps it's social media's fault, combined with MSM pushing agenda's on the left and right, or is it propaganda? I try to avoid it all, but no matter where you look it's in your face.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

It accomplishes a couple of things. It teaches young people about their rights as citizens and gives them a chance to practice their rights, and also teaches young people to be more engaged and not so apathetic.

It also raises awareness, as these protests have been in the news quite a bit. So, it makes everyone a little more aware, at least aware enough to debate the issues. Beats sitting around drinking beer and watching the Kardashian on TV, right?

awareness isn't needed to debate the issues. education is.

People tend to get apathetic. They get caught up in their own little bubble, and they don’t care until something happens to them personally. This kind of stuff pulls them out of their bubble a little, and that’s a good thing.

from what i have seen regarding "debates" it is still boiling down to protected rights, and emotional pleas to instill tyranny.

That’s your opinion. Some people think they have a right to go to public places without having to worry about outrunning a shooter.

Don't people have a right to choose apathy if they want?

Probably not, we're being told how to think and feel more and more by certain groups of people.

People have free will...nobody is forcing anyone to be apathetic. You seem to feel the need to force them not to be.

why is it that only certain people with certain protected characteristics have the right to free choice and the rest of us have to conform?

Who are you or anyone to deny people their right to be apathetic? It shouldn't even be a concern for an 11 year old child. I never cared about politics at 11, I liked cartoons and stuff, you know?

Kids stuff.

I made choices to engage in political debates A) when I was old enough to actually take an interest and 2) of my own accord, nobody forced me to ditch my apathy.

People will gravitate to what interests them, naturally...so who are you to deny a child a right to apathy?

Is that much different from a parent denying their son the right to engage in hormone therapy and become a daughter?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Truth is with people like kayla - there is no standard.

The goal posts will be moved continually in order that they get what they want, no consistency.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

People don’t have a right to life?! Ooookay. Maybe in your country that’s true.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Here is the ever repeating point in this thread:

It´s a kid, they can´t judge very well. That´s why they do not vote, why they don´t get firearms per law already and much more.

And that, kaylaluv, is also the reason why the kid is certainly not at fault for "not being afraid of traffic" or acting impulsive like jumping around and forgetting where the street begins and the sidewalk ends.

That´s why kaylaluv, the teacher is at fault, for bringing them there in first instance. You are a mother, you should know all that.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Again, you twist words. People have a right to live. There is no right that says you can´t be shot. Rights must be enforceable, you can´t enforce that.

It´s like saying you have the right to not get hit by car. What part of that, do you not grasp?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Also, stop saying the kids had a choice, kids are easy to dupe.

If, when I was at school, I had a choice between algebra or storming the beaches at normandy then I'll see you in France, lad.

I'd have opted for castration over pretty much any class that wasn't art or technical.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: verschickter

Again, you twist words. People have a right to live. There is no right that says you can´t be shot. Rights must be enforceable, you can´t enforce that.

It´s like saying you have the right to not get hit by car. What part of that, do you not grasp?

Dude - kayla lives in a world where kids don't even have the right to be apathetic to politics.

They have to be conditioned to the contrary.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: LungFuMoShi

Ha ha, that’s a nutty post. I don’t even know where to begin responding to it, but here’s an attempt.

1. No one is forcing anyone to not be apathetic. What the heck?

2. The kids who participated in the protests did so because they wanted to. No one was forced to participate.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:24 AM
link   

The "forcing" came by way of brainwashing.

😎

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:26 AM
link   

But in America, some people let their kids shoot firearms at age 11. It’s dangerous! Should we allow this? Should we make it against the law to do this?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

So, shooting someone isn’t against the law? If shooting someone is against the law, that means a person has a right to not get shot. What part of that do you not grasp?

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:29 AM
link   

edit on 23-4-2018 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:30 AM
link   
a reply to: uninspired

Well, I too had to learn why the gun culture is like it is in the USA. Before that, I was also not anti-gun but promoted better training and safety. I knew already about some the history about early America.

There is really only one solution if you think long enough, it´s keeping status quo. The guns are there, in criminal and civil hands. If you take them away, only criminals have them.

A member made it more clear to me with a post like this:
"In this country, you´d never know if you heard an ouside noise:
-will they steal our only donkey, robbing us from the ability to farm the land
-will they come in and kill us all"

I can see, with guns already out there, I would want to keep my guns, too in such an environment. It´s really that simple. Especially if you got the answer from police "Well, you are the first to call, if it were that bad, others would have called already".

Yeah guess what, if everyone thinks, SOMEONE will call the police, they never get called. And when the first one really calls, they hear "Sorry, not enough calls".

So there is much to loose when loosing gunrights. It´s understandeable that moods are heated about this topic.

Then there is the fraction who would rather bend over to any criminal because guns are bad, in general.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

The "forcing" came by way of brainwashing.

😎

There’s all kinds of brainwashing. There’s the brainwashing that guns are awesome and cool, for example.

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:33 AM
link   

a reply to: LungFuMoShi

Ha ha, that’s a nutty post. I don’t even know where to begin responding to it, but here’s an attempt.

1. No one is forcing anyone to not be apathetic. What the heck?

2. The kids who participated in the protests did so because they wanted to. No one was forced to participate.

For about the millionth time

Teacher: hi kids, what do you want to do today, study physics or go outside and pretend you're protesting with a big stupid grin on your face?

Kids: Grin, grin, grin!!!

posted on Apr, 23 2018 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Kids are as capable of debating the gun issue as they are at deciding at 11 years old what gender they want to be when they're 30.

So, yeah - I can see why your views on this particular issue are so blinkered.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join